data-csrf="1711630123,5ae0f56b3a20fafc904ee64bc38f9334" Howa Mini? | As Real As It Gets

Howa Mini?

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
I snagged a Howa mini youth 6.5 Grendel combo from Whittakers to build a rifle for my boy. He's only 8 now and will need to grow into it.

I was thinking of rebarreling to 243lbc/6mm grendel, suppressed and installing a MDT LSS for now since the chassis is pretty light and I can put an adjustable stock on it. He's familiar with the chassis/AR stock setup since "his" 10/22 is set up that way so I figured he's familiar and the adjustability will be nice.

Probably start with some light vmax loads and work him up to 105BTHP.

Seem like a good plan? Any barrel spinners that work on the mini?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Would make a nice little parcel.

What is max COAL in the OEM mags? That might could sway my chambering decisions,or as a minimum factor reamer specs.

The 224 version with 88's will out perform it and recoil less,which ain't bad news...............(grin)

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
The rifle package is still in transit so I haven't had a chance to measure the mags but I'll post back here when it comes in.

I agree I'd rather build him the 224 version too but our state's big game minimum is 243 but minimum BG hunting age here is 12 so I guess that gives him 4 years to shoot the barrel out!

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Have Grandbaby on my lap now and it all happens FAST.(grin)

With the rules you are forced to suffer,then 6mm is an easy choice and the cited projectile as well. Given the way Politics trend,it might be prudent to nab him a Krunchenticker so chambered and the M4 butt,obviously won't hurt as he grows.

Here if you are under age 10,you can't get your own Tags,but can use Mom's,Dad's,etc. and there is of course,no caliber restrictions...which don't suck.

You might get a free pass and the Youth Hogue may fit him well and the Grendel ammo over the counter,would provide quick confirmation of same and he'll likely LOVE it..............

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Id be real tempted to shoot the factory barrel and see how it does. I haven’t seen a Grendel yet that didn’t shoot really well with Hornady Black 123 ELDs. Recoil is very light.

Cheap, readily available ammo might be a good thing for a kids rifle. It performs great on deer based on the handful I’ve seen shot by it too.

but yea, your plan sounds great too! Just throwing out another option.

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
Have Grandbaby on my lap now and it all happens FAST.(grin)

With the rules you are forced to suffer,then 6mm is an easy choice and the cited projectile as well. Given the way Politics trend,it might be prudent to nab him a Krunchenticker so chambered and the M4 butt,obviously won't hurt as he grows.

Here if you are under age 10,you can't get your own Tags,but can use Mom's,Dad's,etc. and there is of course,no caliber restrictions...which don't suck.

You might get a free pass and the Youth Hogue may fit him well and the Grendel ammo over the counter,would provide quick confirmation of same and he'll likely LOVE it..............
Id be real tempted to shoot the factory barrel and see how it does. I haven’t seen a Grendel yet that didn’t shoot really well with Hornady Black 123 ELDs. Recoil is very light.

Cheap, readily available ammo might be a good thing for a kids rifle. It performs great on deer based on the handful I’ve seen shot by it too.

but yea, your plan sounds great too! Just throwing out another option.

They grow up in a blink!

I have a 243LBC AR15 and like all my stuff it will be his when he's old enough but I should pick up a few more barrels when BHW has their upcoming sale or place an order with Harrison.

I have a few hundred of the Hornady Black 123 ammo so I may start him there but my 243lbc AR15 is sweet and I dig the round.

He likes the 1-4 SWFA on his 10/22 so I'll probably end up with the same on this.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Was laughing all day yesterday...he don't give a shit.

I'm with you on the 243 Grendel over the 264 version,at least in the mag confines thus far discussed.

The kids always got to pick the glass they liked best..................

Reactions: ridgeline and 30338

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Gave him a hug,kiss and pat on the ass not too many minutes ago,as he and Sister spun for The Canoe. Purty nice day...Sister was wearing full Impertech and 'Tuff's to load her crummy and it's only blowing 60+ currently. nice day for a boat ride!

Had a rather great week with them and am missing both,already.

It ain't just anyone,that I'll let put Pepperonii Pizza Lips on one of my favorite Deer Calls................(grin)

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
I went crazy buying donors on a brownells sale.

Heavy barrel went into a chassis for my daughter. It won’t get rebarreled until it’s shot out. Hornady Black. Sluiced a nice 8 point at 150y. Feeds and functions fine with every mag I have in the brownells/mdt chassis.

Put the light barrel in whatever McMillan was inletting for them. Looks like a shrunken sako classic. DIP bottom metal. It feels like a toy, shoots nearly as well as Heavy barrel with Hornady Black and I’m not touching it until it’s shot out. I keep the damn thing hidden because everybody that touches it wants it. It’s been a bit more finicky to feed. The mags suck and some work fine and some need a little touch with sandpaper on the feed lips.

I’m hip deep in the same lot of Hornady Black and it’s nice not having to load for either one. Just toss a box of shells at her and send her on her way. The older I get the more time I’d rather be shooting than loading. And she likes shooting her 6br WAY more.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Hmmmmm...that is some good news. I'd seen in the past,where guys were using Mini-30 mags. The AR angle is perfect!

I'd go this route.

Gonna have to talk to The Kali Kid................

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
Thanks, if this was a hunting rifle I'd be all over that stock but this one would be for me to use at PRS. Looking for something with less recoil to help spot trace/misses, looks like the Indian Creek Design chassis has a forend with a ARCA rail. Just need to decide if I want to shoot 88s or 105s looks like BHW can make prefits for both 22 or 6mm.

FFL just called, youth combo just showed up!

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Nowwwwww I see where you are coming from. I'd 88 and never look back.

Spill your guts on the Howa Hogue Kid Fit...you'll prolly talk me into one..................(grin)

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
Kid’s at hockey and I’m on cook duty for when they get home so I only gave it a initial finger fuck.
The plastic stocks feel a lot heavier than I thought, rifle with kid stock comes in a little under 6lbs.

Issued mag feels cheap but appears to have a cunt hair of of more COAL to my ASC, my 243LBC/105BTHP loads fit fine.

Stock trigger is ok, I’ll pull it apart later and see if I can adjust it.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Trying to decide on something for my 4 year old for Christmas. Might grab one of these for him. Had planned on snatching a TC Contender frame and a couple of barrels and youth stocks. These are awfully tempting though.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Buy him a couple AR Lowers and then have him help you build him a 22LR on one.

Pard was just finger fucking one of mine and tried walking out the door with it.................(grin)

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
One youth combo left at Whittakers. There was 9 the night before I ordered and then 6 when I dug out my credit card the next morning.

Hmm, looks like they don’t want that trigger adjustment screw coming loose!

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
Too bad, it was a good deal. Brownells has grendel barreled actions for a little more if you just want a donor action.

He won't get it until Xmas morning (it'll be a surprise for him and my wife) but if the 20moa rail I ordered comes in I'll take to the range this weekend and then throw it the truck next week when I go bird hunting.

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
Bought a MDT chassis on Black Friday but its still in the box. Had a blast shooting it today out to 1k with the youth stock with just a 6x SS. Fun, accurate rifle. Should have scooped a few.