data-csrf="1711660995,6d98cf86f39cd10b282d10d9312095a5" The Backside Of Black Friday............. | As Real As It Gets

The Backside Of Black Friday.............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Ok...shot the Burris it was/is FUNNY! The weather has obviously been tough and to try and remove as much atmospheric influence as possible,I poked atop a Salvage 22LR. Don't fret none...these Salvages shoot!(grin)

Just to keep pace,both Erector and Windage denoted .5 MOA Graduations. Not knowing what expect,as in IPHY,MOA for real or sumptin' Greek,I simply calibrated a Tall Target Test in Yankee Inches,in 5" intervals to 40" total. Did the Scope Swapaloo on the tailgate in Real Time and wasn't sure how many of the 96 MO/MO's in total travel,were gonna be up for grabs,after the swap(30 MOA rail on rifle and the 1.5-6x Burris rings are "flat" SWFA High Bitches). 1913 interfaces,certainly help with this,even though I'm not a Scope Swapper and like my shit pinned into fucking place.

Anywhoo...shot a 50yd zero,then went to whirlin' the Erector. Really didn't go crazy with the zoom,but flogged on it more than a few times and did all shooting at 6x. No 'surprises" here,as in I didn't expect it to do for fuck and it didn't disappoint.(grin)

At 50yds,inputs obviously need doubled,to eek the graduated lineal 100yd declarations. So 10MOA for a 5 MOA shift at 50yds,yada,yada. Shit shifted alright,like a Mad Woman going to take a shit...no rhyme/no reason and NO surprise. Erector shift wasn't predictable(5 MOA shift left to right is fucking HUGE) and when you can make a Vudoo cough up a Improved Cylinder group,something is up and it ain't the rifle. The scope is without hope and it's been my experience,that shit that don't track,won't/don't/can't hold zero either.

That was the fairest way I could see to do it,tucked out of the wind and upon a PROVEN platform of mild recoil. Yarded the Burris off,the 5-20x HD went back aboard and gunned a Krunchenticker Hummer Zero. The Burris "turrets" have no set screws or spline,so you gotta pinch the knob and whirl the live/rotating index to literal "0". Just about the shittiest "system" I have seen or used. 30 MO/MO's per complete revolution is a fair bit and the numbers are tiny,cluttered and will fuck most folks up. Am thinking the key is gonna be to leave the caps on 'em.(grin)

Burris had better lighting,than me.

So now I KNOW,what I already knowed about tracking and need to KNOW what I think I know,about zero retention.

How come only SWFA nails erector travel,parallax,reticle virtues,tracking and zero retention?!?...................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Kudos to The Kali Kid,like as per always!

After I got the Vudoo zero'd back in,I shot Little Big Gun. Hipshot Round #1 like always,shot a flat rock to subtend zero and was within 3/10 Mil on #3,which was the first upon 100yd paper. Rattled a hasty zero,gunned some dainty clusters,zero'd turrets,topped off mag (Steel 5rd AM) holstered it. 88's are just NASTY Bitches!

Grabbed The Teeker Hot Rod and followed suit. Went to paper on shot #2 and was within halfa Mil of zero. Gunned a cluster,subtended center and locked shit in .5 Mil high at a hundo(250yd zero). Once out of the bight,the weather was still furious,so couldn't see trying to shoot come-ups in 50mph. The Teeker Kreedmire Konversion is MONEY and ass hauling 88's are rather incredible. Same COAL as when it was a Vanilla '250,as per the original Dummy. Gave all the '250 88's I had loaded to Buck Fucker,so he can start a War.

Alpha,Alpha,Alpha......................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Have handed it to more than a few guys and said Woof/Otter Knocker...what do you think? I've seen shittier reticles and wayyyyy shittier illumination,but cain't know how it'll handle the TOUGH Test.

Fucking wind is SCREAMING at my house...holy shit!................

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I should have my Burris back in hand tomorrow. Afraid to shoot it as I know it’ll probably do the same thing it did before. Just one in a series of missteps this year.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
THE easiest way to get to The Finish Line,is by using shit that actually works. Get cute and ALL bets are off and the fast track to that,is worrying about what a scope weighs. Toss ALL the ring spacing you can at a Fixed Fucker and you can quit worrying about glass.

I'd never poke a Burris on a Meat And Taters Rifle,but am not too worked up over an impact shift costing me an Otter and had that weighed squarely/fairly,long before hitting the "Order" button..............(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Had a pard swing by the other day,with (3) rifles. Was gonna chop the barrel on his Hornet to 20",measure a throat on a 22-250 for 88's and try to see why his 224 Grendel wouldn't run.

Started with the Tikka '250 and found he was .070" in the lands with an 88,which is more than plenty. Cleaned shit,looked at it better and come to find out,the (3) rifles so chambered that I've measured,vary no more than .005" in freebore length,from longest to shortest. Could be INCREDIBLE QC,or shit house luck,I can't know. Gave him all the loaded ammo I had for mine,beings his correct COAL was identical to mine and my shit was in virgin brass. Win/win.

Next rifle was a Krunchenticker that didn't run. Trouble with them is,that they are Lego's and shit that ain't right,will snap together. Pays to have a M4 buffer and spring in an M4,while the A2 is gonna do best with an A2 buffer and spring. I keep reiterating to folks,that some of this shit will fucking HURT you and it pays to think about your lips,eyeballs,fingers and such.

Anywhoo...kinda went over The Manual Of Arms associated with Krunchentickers in general and I was quizzing him on what it was doing to him,as it had cost him a Woof the other day. It didn't wanna digest the first round going into battery and apparently would stove pipe. Had him empty the loaded mags he'd brought along,verified followers were correct,then started cycling things without mag/ammo,to see WTF. Went back through my stance,that I seldom punch a bore,but keep a good eye on chamber condition,as per the footprint of empties. He said he'd been ALL through it and it was spotless inside. So I'm rolling it around with bolt partly opened,shy of hammer being cocked and "Clinkle-clink" a spent primers rolls outta the ejection port . You could have knocked his eyes off him,with a stick.(grin)

I said "I don't know much,but would wager shit will run better...with no primers floating around internally". CMC Flatty cassette trigger too. So I pulled it apart,cleaned the chamber,pulled BCG out,got rid of the grease he'd lathered it with,cut all the crud with BrakeKleen,hit it with CLP and never could make it bobble. Weird.(grin)

Lastly,was the ubiquitous 77/22 S/S Laminate Hornet chop to 20",which just simply turns the platform into an entirely different rifle,due the vastly superior balance/handling ergo's. No thang,kickstart the SawZall and off with it's head. Then fire up the Whirley Gig and smooth some shit up. Standard Fare. As a parting shot,I said "you really should yard the base/rings apart,check 'em and bump the rear ring to it's aft most receiver recess". He said "this thing has never missed a lick in 20yrs" and I said "you are this deep now,why wouldn't you give it EVERY chance you can to win?". We'd pulled it out of the stock for the chop and mainly because I wanted to look under the hood. So I put my finger on the rear base recess and grabbed the rear base fastener and could turn it with my bare fingers and said..."Oh yeah,she REALLY shoots fucking great!",which I'm purty sure stung. So I repeated the line for the 10 MILLIONTH time in my life and that is "Rifle shoot LOOSE,they do NOT shoot tight". Even managed to get some orange nail polish on the fasteners,for some reason.(grin)

Point was/is,it's always the little shit that adds up. The less something gets used,the "better" it is and zero round count in a Decade,ain't the definition of a Good Run,as an equipment critique goes. I've broken my fair share of shit and have seen wares that once could be Trusted,turn to ABSOLUTE fucking shit. Reupold heads that list,with LW's right behind,amongst a gamut of everything else from footwear,to knife blades and all stops in between.

What is VERY eye opening,is how beloved rifles get even better,when glass do what it's supposed to do and mounts/bases do same. Rifle mechanics don't cost Hunts/opportunities,but glass/mounts assuredly do and once one wraps their mind around that constant,it's all easily circumvented,before leaving the house. Pass the 1913 interface and rings mounted as far apart as possible. I'm all too happy to add a CH wafer of comb height to the equation,to preclude a Hard Use/High Round Count Puke. It's THE best Insurance you can purchase.

Got a note from some unknown Gunsmith this morning,talking about an all too known Puke he just suffered,but the story is his.

Toldjaso....................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Just checked Mail.

GFI Kenai,ordered complete harness,so it gives me (3) ready to roll. They BEGGED me to ship my shit to them for a Custom Fit and I laughed and said "It's just fucking Kydex,I'll be fine". Dude got it and here it is. Ordered for 22/45 LITE wearing CT grips,long rail and rear mounted FF3.

Close but no cigar. My fault,not their's.

Modest CT relief and Rail Chop.

Bang Bang Johnny...I doubt 10 minutes total time and it's a fucking PEACH.

Just do it...................(grin)

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Punted on the Burris NIB when it came back and got it sold. I hear SWFA has some new hunting scopes in the works?? Might hold off a bit to see.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The 6X MQ,simply makes it ALL easy.

Good move,to pass the NIB Burris along. I nabbed a coupla more Bushie AR Optic 1-4x 24mm 30mm tubed bitches,in Drop Zone-223 BDC,because it's funny and they actually track. Will poke 'em on a Vudoo and gun some Tall Target Tests to see WTF.

Cheap entertainment.....................

22 skadoo

Dec 9, 2007
NJ
I like the 6X mil-quad and it does make it easy.I tried the 10X mil-quad and had issues with the eye relief.I can't believe the 6X were just selling for $200.00.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
These bitches generally track wayyyyyyyyy better than they should.

30mm SFP 223 BDC 1-4x. Will of course pin to 4x and simply subtend the fucking stupid BDC's "values". A straight Mildot would smoke it,but the erector is what I'm curious about here,in this application.

SWFA just tossed 'em in a box,with some ass wipe on one and the other butt nekked and loose(both wearing OEM caps).

Mil erectors,with 1/10th Mil "clicks" and 43 Mil's travel,top to bottom...with 6 Mil full revolutions.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The archeic BDC values(ALL BDC values suck),correlate thusly,with a 200yd Krunchenticker,75 Hornie's at 2850fps and 2.5" sight height.
4.6 Mils is almost 10yd Beaver Dope(5.3 requisite).

.5 Mils= 275yds
1.3 Mils= 375
2.2 Mils= 460
3.4 Mils= 560
4.6 Mils= 650

I'd rather twist the turret 3/4 of a revolution and thread needles,as per my whim................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Swap gears,toss 'er aboard a 224 Kreedmire and it do thusly,with a 88gr 250yd zero.

.5 Mils= 350 yds
1.3 Mils= 475
2.2 Mils= 600
3.4 Mils= 735
4.6 Mils= 860

Real"handy"..................(grin)

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Will be curious if it will hold/return to zero. Would be a handy little package if it does.

LOVE the reticle!

RickF

Jun 4, 2008
East Kootenays, BC
Larry, how does sisters Klassic Creed shoot? SAAMIish long throat?

I seem to be talking myself into one, and may shoot it factory for a while until I decide whether to go 22Creed or 6BR. Obliged.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Stick, you play with a 212 Eldx out of a montana 300 wsm yet?

Shot some in Winny 70 Whizzum...which is an easy parcel to argue a reduction in recoil mass,to reduce felt recoil.(grin)

The 208 ELD has a better BC and a Whizzum can't push either fast enough,to get you in trouble,as projectile integrity goes. My best 300 Whizzum advice,is to rebarrel to 1-8" 7 Whizzum and think 180 ELD's expressly.

After I'm outta my last batch of 208's,some more schit is going to hit The Kali Kid's porch....................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Larry, how does sisters Klassic Creed shoot? SAAMIish long throat?

I seem to be talking myself into one, and may shoot it factory for a while until I decide whether to go 22Creed or 6BR. Obliged.

Typical SALAMI .199" freebore,in a 'box well shy of arranging a 147 Smooch. Bought it for a 224 Speedmire donor,but Sister loves it and I'll happily fuel it with trite 147's and prolly do a straight Montucky 224 Speedmire. Win/win.(grin)

Haven't flogged on it in shit weather,but thus far it shoots nice round groups and nothing could ever get away from it. Tough to whoop Kimber stock ergo's,for recoil management and it admittedly is an exceptionally GOOD handling parcel. Be nice to line her up on a Woof or two,in these next few days.

I shoulda bought a few more.

Hint...................(grin)

Reactions: RickF

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I have a 7 wsm. Was going to go 180 after my 162 supply was gone.

I have a stupid thought in my head to put a removable loudner on my 300 and shoot 212s. Topped with a ss 3-9. But I am slowly backing away from that edge. I have been watching too many you tube videos.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Loudeners WILL hurt you,thus my penchant to throw 'em offa cliff. I could mebbe see it on a Dedicated Play Rifle,if one was prudent about ear protection,for everyone in the surroundings. I don't like screwing things on/off a muzzle,because they can/will/do alter POA/POI and static simplicity has long interested me more,than chasing my tail. Said rifle for me,sure as shit wouldn't be chambered 300 Whizzum.(grin)

I'd personally rather shoot 147's in Kreedmire,than anything in 300 Whizzum. The 212's are .070" longer than a 208 and you will be chasing COAL you don't have,while driving a platform vastly second fiddle to your 7 Whizzum. Shit that ain't FUN,simply don't get shot and skills don't improve,by not shooting. Proficiency can't be purchased and that obvious constant,is one folks really like to overlook.

The more I shoot,the more I believe in Base 10 Wind and I've never not believed in it. While I'd greedily take 10yd broadside shots all day and every days,a guy can/will/do learn some things,by stretching distance(atmospherics). In my opinion,key is to KNOW what you can reliably do and only trigger time arranges that.

So I'm quick to take an analytical approach and few things are as convincing,as Facts & Physics. Best bullet simply wins and the 212 isn't anywhere in the mix. Not all platform are equal,as Twist,Throat Geometry and COAL very much run the gamut,within said chambering,amongst a multitude of Manufacturer's offerings. I'll always take less case capacity/length,to add a better bullet. ES/SD follows suit,as does reduced recoil,very often an increase in mag capacity,less noise and greater barrel life...if only for starters.

Factor how a 7-08 with a .796 BC 180 at a "lowly" 2600fps,compares to say a Whizzum squirting 212's. Factor the wind and impact velocity,along with Transonic slip,while letting Facts and Physics tell the story. With solid feedback in hand,extrapolate Real World trade-off's and simply travel the route that appeals most.

It's a Mind Fuck..................

Reactions: Calvin

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
300WSM 212ELD

7-08 180 ELD

Pass the Alpha brass and 25-ish less grains of powder per shot,amongst other things cited....................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Fieldcraft. Just keep your nose in the wind and scoop the first 21-incher you come across.

You could go Winchester 70,move the mag shim,but they are 1-9.5" and a bust.

Same goes Tikka. You could change mags to '06 and the bolt stop too...but are still hungchow at 9.5" RPM.

For light,rebarrel a Fieldcraft in whatever S/A Donor you can find.

Adding weight and staying ADL/BDL,do same to a S/S Crassik Winchester.

Or find a S/S 700 Donor,send it to The Kali Kid with a 180 Dummy at 2.900" and tell him to hurry the fuck up and let it eat from a M5 AICS binderless magwell. Pick your contour/RPM from Greg and have him ship directly to Shaen and you are logging. Lotsa OEM 700 stocks,are easily opened to M5 inlet.

Or rewrite The Book and have him go 284 Kreedmire on a Montucky,in OEM metal,less a change.

Hint.................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
As per always,something Lightweight is gonna be expensive and heavier stuff is simply cheaper to build/buy. I'm not a Tikka Guy,but lotsa folks have tried to brag them up and it's never not funny.

The quicker a guy can think "bullets" from the start,the easier it all is and then it's a matter of factoring COAL,throat geometry and RPM.

Not much to it,but ALL Manufacturers fuck it up...as do alotta guys building shit.................

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Stick, any more thoughts on the bushnell 1-4X24? Track reasonably well and hold up ok?

Drop zone reticle is obviously genius, no need to confirm.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Adorama has them on ebay for $110 and free shipping for anyone willing to live in the L48, but they won't ship here due to jealousy.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
They actually do surprisingly well.

A buddy was trying to cuss one I loaned out,on his Krunchenticker...shooting Bulk Ball and I told him "shut the fuck up".

Kids.............(grin)