data-csrf="1711623299,3ed4ed8a20b89d51805d064fbe8ab5d4" Musing boats again!?!? | As Real As It Gets

Musing boats again!?!?

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
After about 160 work days, 3 moose hunts, and a pile of recreational days on the old Almar it’s time for a little sprucing up. 900+ hours on mains. I never did do much when I did the conversion 4 years ago. Phase one was to take everything out. I had neutral tongue weight after I got all my crap/seats out. Went to the paint shop today for new zolatone in the interior.
When it’s back next week it will be new headliner, carpet, and non skid. Really not looking forward to putting it back together.

a few “before” pics.

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
Nonskid...mask it off like you mean it, and take it to the guy who has the most vicious sandblaster around. Do the deck, gunwale tops, swim step, roof and top of the bow with big grit. Nobody will accuse it of being pretty after that, but xtratufs stick to sandblast like glue. Don't let them fart around with the little compressor and the little hopper...factory almar nonskid can be stubborn with a paint-prep blaster, as my local boatyard found out.

That's a LOT of foam under there...pull some off in the bilge and make sure the hull metal is hunky dory. Bet it's a quiet ride inside!

Any interior mods?

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
Honu needed some work too.

IMG_7549.jpg

She developed a large crack on the bottom that was allowing water into the boat.

In the shop getting crack fixed and more support structure in the hull...

IMG_8260.jpg

The shop said it cracked because the original builder didn't add enough support. There are four longitudinal beams which are nice, but the two outboard ones are really too far outboard.

Also adding a 60 gallon internal fuel tank. It's going to be nice to ditch the portable fuel tanks (except longer multi-day runs) and have more deck space...

IMG_8415.jpg

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I take it that you are keeping it?..............
yes.

Nonskid...mask it off like you mean it, and take it to the guy who has the most vicious sandblaster around. Do the deck, gunwale tops, swim step, roof and top of the bow with big grit. Nobody will accuse it of being pretty after that, but xtratufs stick to sandblast like glue. Don't let them fart around with the little compressor and the little hopper...factory almar nonskid can be stubborn with a paint-prep blaster, as my local boatyard found out.

That's a LOT of foam under there...pull some off in the bilge and make sure the hull metal is hunky dory. Bet it's a quiet ride inside!

Any interior mods?
I have taken a little foam up. It looks ok. They foamed the crap out of these boats. Quiet but it certainly keeps you from seeing what’s happening down there. Probably going to stick with the matson non skid. I can knock it out in a few hours for about a bill in materials.

might add a screen to the back deck is all I am changing right now.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Honu needed some work too.

View attachment 387

She developed a large crack on the bottom that was allowing water into the boat.

In the shop getting crack fixed and more support structure in the hull...

View attachment 388

The shop said it cracked because the original builder didn't add enough support. There are four longitudinal beams which are nice, but the two outboard ones are really too far outboard.

Also adding a 60 gallon internal fuel tank. It's going to be nice to ditch the portable fuel tanks (except longer multi-day runs) and have more deck space...

View attachment 389
nice. How much water was being let in? Nice thing about aluminum is they can fix it. Grin.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site

Boat is still in the barn so lighting sucks, but she is zolatoned and clear coated. The guys did a good job. Let her sit in the warm to make sure everything kicked and pull her home tomorrow. Not looking forward to reassembly but hopefully have her turnkey by the end of the week.

I need my own barn

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
nice. How much water was being let in? Nice thing about aluminum is they can fix it. Grin.
We'd go out for a few hours fishing, no rain, no waves over the bow, and when I'd pull the plug it would drain several gallons. But, we have left her in the water overnight, and it looked fine. I'm guessing the auto-bilge was doing some work, but it didn't kill the battery.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
We'd go out for a few hours fishing, no rain, no waves over the bow, and when I'd pull the plug it would drain several gallons. But, we have left her in the water overnight, and it looked fine. I'm guessing the auto-bilge was doing some work, but it didn't kill the battery.
right on. I always wondered how much water would come in with a crack in the hull.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A visting pard overshot (3) airports on the Milk Run and finally fucking landed Ketchikan,wayyyyyyyy earlier than scheduled. It were a good thang,as then he got his ass kicked on The Green Canoe,because no birds were flying.

He rolled out yesterday,but again no birds in the air,so got Round Two on The Green Canoe and an even better ass whipping,arriving port late,to spend the night due the missed jet.

Soooooo...he boarded Alaska Airlines this morning and made it to Wrangell,but has mechanical and it sounds like he gets to spend the night there and try again in the morning. FUNNY shit!!!

I've been LOVING it and rolling Chrome...............(grin)

ptarmigan

Apr 13, 2008
Anchortown
Joel, how do you like that Almar? My buddy just picked one up that is being completely overhauled. I think you saw the pics of it a few years ago on AOD when the fab shop owner started the project. He decided to move it along to buy some property, so my buddy got a good deal on it. Should be finished in a couple of months I guess. He's thinking a single 250 or 300 on it. Any thoughts there?

Last edited: