data-csrf="1711619511,9f89e7503891ba1cc5c997c21d1fae60" 10/22 issue... | As Real As It Gets

10/22 issue...

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
hi guys, new here, not new on the internet, know of Stick well, interesting guy thats for sure...

so here is the deal that i have...

i put together a 10/22 a couple years ago, and its always had this issue... sometimes it will jam (it has done it with the stock barrel as well) coming forward... the "jam", is the bolt will hang up about 95% of the way to full battery, and usually i will just get a "click" then nothing...

well a few weeks ago, i was at Ft Lewis, and i pulled the trigger, and it was like a musket went off... sh!t hit me in the face, blew the magazine out and down the side of the shooting lanes, generally wasnt fun...

i thought it was the ammo so i contacted CCI (was using mini mags at the time), and they determined that it fired out of battery, which i then went and checked because i thought he was wrong, i let the bolt all the way forward, pulled it back about 1/8 of an inch, and pulled the trigger, and it definitely slammed the hammer forward...

i dont know if that is supposed to happen, or what, but what i do know, is i want to get the jamming issue fixed...

what could be causing it? a bent charging handle rod? grittyness in the receiver? should i take a wire brush on a drill and try and clean it out? buffing compound and wheel? new handle and bolt?

anyways, this is it, its a Ruger 10/22, Green Mountain 20 inch .920 bull barrel, C and A Tactical bench rest trigger (Power Customs parts), cant remember but its either 9 or 13 ounces, Hogue skeleton stock, and a sh!tty Firefield 4-16X that actually works pretty well on a .22 rifle...

the target pictures are about 60-70 yards away, using Norma Elite Match and Tac .22...

im trying to figure this out without having to take it to a gunsmith.. ive done everything else to the rifle myself, so this should be able to be done as well... should i start with the charging handle? i have noticed, not sure if its supposed to be normal, but its sometimes a pain to put the bolt back in and get it all back together, everything is pretty tight in there, which is leading me to think that theres something up front that is slowing/catching it before it goes to lock/loaded.. anyone dealt with this?

there is a KIDD bolt on Ebay for 99 bucks, Volq's are 225, Power Customs are 140, and a Ruger stock one is under 30... but if im going to spend money, i may as well upgrade it... unless i dont have to...

advice?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Tripping a round out of battery(OOB),ain't no fun. At least in 22LR,it won't cost fingers and the like. Go Hummer and shit gets REAL.

"Jamming" is typically a mag issue,assuming OEM parts. Start cobbling shit together and all bets are off,in regards to feed/function(F/F)...though mags are key,as is ammo selection. A bolt doesn't mean fuck all.

I'd make CERTAIN the extractor slot on the barrel and the extractor proper are aligned. Have seen that one fucked up,as often as not,when talking a new spout install. From there,I'd look at the chamber radius and critique how rounds align same.

On reassembly,the guide rod and it's spring like to cant aside,which precludes their alignment. They ALL feel "tight",by design. I can't get too horned up over GM spouts,if only for obvious reasons. It's prudent to clean a chamber,to stay ahead of F/F woes and I keep an angled bore brush for that very thing. It saves disassembly and a guy can clean on the fly,if shit weather(rain/freezing temps) start leaving bullet lube/propellant deposits in unwanted locations,which will affect F/F.

Increased ring spacing is your scope's BEST friend.

Hint...................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Should add that I simply take a "brass" 6mm bore brush and bend it's shank,so I can whirly gig a Self Shucker's chamber.

While I run Krunchentickers SOPPING with lubricant,it's the opposite on 22LR's......................

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
Driftin' told me that on PP, i didnt touch the 10/22 rings because of how well the groups were, and the low recoil of a .22, but i did move them on my 700 LR like he told me to... i can squeak the front forward a couple notches for sure, and will since im going to take the thing apart again to look at everything...

whats odd tho, is it has done this with both the stock Ruger barrel, and the GM barrel...

what i did actually forget to include, and i dont know if it was happening with the stock barrel, as i only put less than 100 rounds through it before i switched out, is it has slam fired before... 1 time it was about 5 rounds... at like 1100 RPM.. scared the shit out of me, and it actually jammed, when it stopped... the bullet is entering the chamber, then stopping about 95 percent of the way home... but like i said, it happened on both barrels, which is making me think its something with the bolt/handle, and not the barrel...

its definitely not the trigger, because ive held it down and it only fires 1 round per pull, but have read up about slam firing on the 10/22...

thats a head space issue right?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The fire control unit is compromised. Less seeing it,I cain't point a finger...but I'd re-spring all of it with Wolff.

The bolt/handle has zero fucking bearing. Chamber dimensions/cleanliness matter and are attributed to the barrel ALONE. GM's run shorter throats than OEM(just like EVERY other aftermarket Maker) and headspace is fixtured upon the rim alone.

Ascertain extractor geometry,mechanically clean the chamber,forget the lube and run it................

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
well Stick... it looks like you are correct...

i bought the trigger off Ebay a while ago, then, i decided to look for more parts from them and everything was gone... figured they just sold everything, as their website is still up right now...

so i called the number, and it was one of the weirdest fucking conversations ive ever had...

guy answers the phone, and i ask if its C and A, he says the business used to be there, but they closed, as the company that was giving them parts, abruptly stopped giving them to them...

told him the issue, and he was saying something about the set screw, which its not the set screw at all...

he then says some other rambling, and i said i thought that the sear may be at fault possibly, as others that have over filed their sears get the same slam fire shit going on...

he tells me its not the sear, its something else....

(im thinking at this point, how the hell do you know so much about these things, yet, arent the owner of the company?)

then i tell him its the Match BR trigger, and hes like ohhhhhh, i know exactly what you are talking about... he said they were basically "burners" and would fail regularly, and the triggers were pieces of shit basically.... (again, how would you know if you arent the owner) he said it sounded like i got one of the bad ones...

told him that it was Power Customs guts in it, and he said he had a bunch of PC parts still in bags there, i could send the trigger to him and he could look at it and work on it... (again, if you arent the owner, and dont know and havent talked to him in over 2 years, how do you have all these parts?)

i asked if he could have the owner call me, he said he hasnt talked to or seen him in 2+ years... ok, no problem...

i had said i talked with someone, that was going through everything with me through email, he said i may have talked to him on the phone at one point about ordering my trigger (wait, you havent talked to the guy, and dont really know him, but i talked to you ordering it?), i said i didnt talk to anyone on the phone, but through emails...

so i go to my Gmail, and search, and find the messages...

read one to him, and say its from Marty... he says yeah, thats me....

under his name, said CEO/Owner...

(which he said hadnt talked to in years..)

matter of fact, just got a text from him saying to send it to him, and he will look at it, and possibly upgrade it to the aluminum housed one, and fix all the issues that are with it, and that he feels extremely terrible for me having to deal with this... (but wouldnt just flat out say he was the owner of the now defunct company)

the upside, he was very polite and respectful, but not saying who he was, right off the bat, is a little weird...

he was saying it was some case of forced labor or some shit as well, was rather odd...

so, the only other trigger i have is the POS stock one thats like 318 pounds of pull... should i send this one back to the not the owner, hasnt talked to, CEO/Owner guy to get "fixed" and wait it out, or should i just go buy a Timney or Kidd and be done with it?

sad thing is, i really liked the trigger... but i highly doubt that the US Army, and cops in the state of Washington, would like fully automatic fire, weather its slam fire, or not....

needless to say, the trigger is coming out, and the gun is going to be thoroughly gone through before it leaves this house again....

what a clusterfuck....

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
oh yeah, and he in the middle of the convo, possibly not remembering, said that in shipping or something the screw/pin that held a certain part in could have rotated like 1/16th of a turn, which was causing the slam fire issue...

guess what that part is?

the SEAR....

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
i THINK i may have figured out what the deal was... i was about 1 minute away from driving to the gun store and picking up either a Savage BSEV .22 the BRJ, or a CZ 457 today (which i still will likely do tomorrow or Friday anyways), because id like to maybe make a couple runs in the NRL22 matches out by us, so i figured i would tear down the 10/22 again and see if i could find out anything...

well i think i did, pulled everything out, and as i said previously, the bolt would kinda "stick" sometimes when shooting just shy of full battery, so i put the bolt back in with no charging handle and slid it down... it looked like the extractor was kinda nicking the side of the slot it fits into, so i pulled the V block, and tweaked the barrel a smidge, and re set everything, i also noticed a little crud in the extractor spring area, could be from the FOB or not, ive been told and have read that usually when the out of battery thing happens, it blows your ectractor out, mine didnt , so i blasted it with scrubber and got it all shiny and put a little oil in there, and it seems to be WAY fucking better than it was... it did jam a couple times when i shot it with the stock barrel on it, so maybe that was the case.. maybe not, but it seems to look like its functioning as it should so i wont shit can it yet...

ill probably take it up in the woods and run it this weekend, if the wifey doesnt want to go fishing, but she probably will so might have to go to the range at a later date..

didnt even realize its been a year since i shot the thing, hopefully it took care of it, because shooting .22s is a lot of fun...

22 skadoo

Dec 9, 2007
NJ
Tony is bette than better than EVERYONE.

I finally got (1) right........................(grin)
I have to agree with ya Stick on Tony Kidd parts they are as good as it gets for a 10/22.His trigger is a work of art and smooth as silk.

Last edited:

partsman

Dec 9, 2007
West Kelowna BC
You guys are going to cost me money, I wonder if I can get his parts in Canada?
One thing i did on my rifle is i put a tougher buffer in, but have not shot it yet, due to vision problems, but hope to be up and shooting soon.

22 skadoo

Dec 9, 2007
NJ
Anything Kidd for the 10/22 is worth the cash his parts are just so sweet.The first Kidd trigger I got opened my eyes to just how good his shit is.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
You guys are going to cost me money, I wonder if I can get his parts in Canada?
One thing i did on my rifle is i put a tougher buffer in, but have not shot it yet, due to vision problems, but hope to be up and shooting soon.

I'd do whatever it takes,to make it happen......................