data-csrf="1711669732,beb689419d2cd287ccb92a5290afa0ce" 105 hpbt...zook | As Real As It Gets

105 hpbt...zook

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
The 11yo center punched the shoulder on an average-size muley a couple weeks ago. The deer didn't like it, and didn't go very far, but no part of the bullet made it to the opposite rib cage. This at about 80 yards from a 20" saami 243. MV was 2950-ish IIRC. There was a 3" hole through the center of the near shoulder when quartered.

From those of you with more experience with this bullet, is there a speed limit to abide by? If yes, is there another similar 6mm alternative? Scenar?

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Scenars will hold up to shoulder shots better but the flip side is they run a lot farther than I'm used to seeing when shot through the ribs.

I wouldn't give up on the 105 hornady just yet. I've not had an issue with them even on shoulder shots around 100 yards but maybe I have just been lucky

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
I saw it traverse an entire forky muley's backstrap last year, doing a fair filleting job, and coming to rest between some broken riblets beside the spine above the shoulder, from ~350yds out of the same rifle. That deer couldn't walk away from that one. So I too am not ready to give it up. This year's shot would probably have been through-through if it were placed a few inches back.

False_Cast

May 31, 2016
MI
Not a thread I expected to see because I’ve read the wide ranging accolades for the 105 hpbt; until this past Monday. Killed a northern Michigan buck with a 105 hpbt out of a saami 243 on Monday morning, my first with the bullet. 80 yards. Squarely broadside. Caught the very back of the thin shoulder muscle and penetrated the nearside ribs with about a 3” entry, and two or three pieces of jacket made it to the far side inside ribs, nothing through to the far side hide. I was surprised at the amount of upset and glad I didn’t put it through the point of the shoulder. I’ll keep shooting them as the buck died fast (for a non-cns hit) and they shoot very well out of the factory Rem tube; but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little concerned with the bullets softititude.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Nice buck!

I had damn near identical performance from the 105Amax on a 125# doe. I haven’t shot a deer with the hpbt yet but don’t find your results encouraging.

Reactions: False_Cast

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Call me a heretic, but I've flung lots of different CnC offerings at critters over the decades and always say 'never again' with a firm nod to Barnes X's for flawless terminal performance. Have used them pretty much from their inception and have never had a failure to perform as advertised.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
HG,
I've shot a bunch of amax and hpbt in game and can definitely say the amax is the softer bullet by a fair margin, though I always liked how they acted on deer. But I also seem to prefer softer bullets than most

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Intellesting...as I've shot 'em at all velocities from 270 to 6-284/Twat-Six and nary an issue.

What vintage are the offenders?...................

False_Cast

May 31, 2016
MI
What vintage are the offenders?...................
Mine was from a 500 box via Powder Valley, circa Feb 2019.

Don’t know the impact velocity. But, 80 yards and your Rx of R17 out of a 24” factory tube; which has gotta be somewhere dead middle of the two chamberings you cite.

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
Trying to remember if these or the 103 eldx were the midsouth blem purchase...I think the 103s were. Then these 105s are non blems, and about 2 years old or so.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I’m still working on some stock that may be approaching 20yrs old. All 105 Amaxes.....

I believe the newest bullets I had got sent to Alaska and that stuff was probably about 10yrs old.

smokinggun

Mar 18, 2015
Chesterfield, VA
I took a big doe with a 105 BTHP last weekend from 30’ up in tree stand. She was right below me and quartering away. I’m using a light charge in 6x47L, 2610 FPS if I recall. No blood trail or exit wound, but devastating results with broken front shoulder on opposite side and 30yard death run. I’m sure to get even better results when I get time to work it up a little hotter load.

Last edited:

smokinggun

Mar 18, 2015
Chesterfield, VA
Dropped a good sized 6 point Whitetail with a 105gr BTHP CNS shot yesterday. After checking my notes, I see my 6x47L rounds are currently loaded at 2810 FPS instead of 2610 that I stated above. That's four deer now with the 105's in four shots and none of 'em liked it. If Stick says they are good bullets you can count on it!.

False_Cast

May 31, 2016
MI
The oblong entrance wound and the fact that it clipped the rear of the shoulder muscle first makes me wonder if my 105hpbt hit the near side rib cage on my above buck destabilized. Would make sense considering the bullets repute, shape of entrance wound, massive internal damage, and lack of penetration. I’ll have to poke one into another animal this weekend to verify.

False_Cast

May 31, 2016
MI
1:9.25” factory rem & confirmed. “Groups” fine. Round holes abound. Thinking the front shoulder may have thrown something off course or started upset.