data-csrf="1711679876,f54a00c4a9dddcf479b3512773a5678a" 22 Creedmoor Build | As Real As It Gets

22 Creedmoor Build

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I haven't found a 22-250 Fieldcraft, and I'm not sure I want pay the price, if I do. I was half-way hoping to find a cheap Montana to rebarrel, but I just picked up a 700 SPS Tactical on the cheap. It is NIB and cheap enough that I couldn't pass it up. I'm thinking I'll tear it apart and build a lightweight 22 Creedmoor.

Debating between a #1 contour or fluted #2, chopped at 22 inches.

Will a 1-7.5" twist effectively spin the Hornady 88s?

I have an LVSF stock sitting here, until I order something better. I might try an AG Composites CAT this time?

Thoughts?

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
I’d be in Montana mode if it were me
I’ve tried the 88’s in two of my Montana 22 creeds
Both are suppose to be 8T barrels and measure somewhere between 8 and 8.25 with a cleaning rod and neither will stabilized 88’s
Probably be fine with a 7.5 if it’s actually a 7.5

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I shoot 88's in true 1-8's happily. Same goes 7.5's and 7's if only obviously. 7" is easy and keeps doors open,as the 90 Beer Can rates a thunk.

With the difference between a "good" deal and a "regular" being what,$200? Who gives a fuck in the long run,as it is THE platform for same. A 700 will never approach it and you don't need 700 magbox COAL latitude(AICS binderless,etc.) in 224 Speedmire.

Holster the 700 and do it right,so you'll have no regerts................(grin)

RDW

Sep 6, 2014
My FC is an 8 so I ran the 88's through JBM and it's a go down to 2,800, good to hear real life proves the computer correct.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
It looks like I have a .243 Fieldcraft headed my way. The 700 has been jettisoned, and I'll remain on the lookout for a Montana donor, just because.

As the world turns....

😁

Reactions: Brazo

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
No matter how hard I try, delayed gratification just never seems to work out for me. 😁

I picked up a Brux 8-twist blank, the other day. I already have 700 .223 donor, on-hand, so I was thinking of going that route. But, I just picked up a 700 short action with a std bolt face, this morning. I want to go 22-Creed, but sourcing brass and dies is a challenge, these days. How well does necking down 6-Creed work for the 22 version? I didn't like necking down .284 Win brass for my 25-284. It left me with some boogered necks. Does the Creedmoor brass take to it better?

I have brass and dies for a vanilla .22-250, on hand, so I might keep it simple. I can always punch it 22-CM later, right?

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Should mention,that 22-250 brass IS Kreedmire brass. Hint...............(grin)
'Stick..you'll enjoy this. Guy asks me the other day my thoughts on him doing a 25 Creedmoor.

I said I loved mine but it was called a 250 Savage Ackley. He's a pretty good young guy and laughed like crazy after looking at case measurements.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
It's pretty tough to reinvent the wheel,but a 284 Kreedmire do call.

I'm probably biased,because I've never had any 22-250 Love and was quick to go AI instead and now of course Speedmire as an opening move.

Pun be intended............(grin)

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Should mention,that 22-250 brass IS Kreedmire brass.
Yes, I was hoping to get away from fire-forming. Necking down 6-Creed is a good work around, then?

I wasn't really impressed with my finished .25-284 cases, which is why I ask. I want no muss/no fuss....no neck turning, no neck reaming, no fire forming, no loading according to my astrological sign, phase of the moon, and no adjustments made due to the Coriolis effect or recent solar flare activity.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
EVERY time you pull the trigger,you are forming brass,whether you want to or not. I get what you are trying to say.(grin)

I always want to neck down and control Virgin headspace,unless I can headspace the barrel to the brass(barrel nut). It is a single pass "operation" to yield positive headspaced Virgins and I never load Virgins without being neck sized,due the fact that they are routinely bruised in transit.

MUCH to be said for good brass and good dies,being used with good lube,to nip "weirdness" at the start of the start. I prefer LRP's in chamberings of said capacity,but I simply wouldn't fucking linger....................

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Do as Stick says and you are there, Dan.

I sized down hornady 6mm brass with the same die setup for my 22 creedmoor before I got some alpha 22 brass and it was fine.

You know, you coulda set back and rechambered your 22 250 AI for same, that's what I might do, but I imagine the barrel will be toast until I whip all my formed 22-250 brass

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Me too. It's an out of the box Ackley.

I'm working hard to torch Dan's old 22-250AI so it can morph into a 22 Creed.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I'm working hard to torch Dan's old 22-250AI so it can morph into a 22 Creed.
I'm glad to hear she's doing well. The only reason I got rid of my AI is because I was jonesing for a Fieldcraft. They have dried up, and I'm not willing to pay a premium for a Kimber. I'm not nearly as fond of them as the Barrett. I'm getting impatient (hard to imagine, I know), so I'm forging ahead.

Twenty-two Creed seems to be the current prom queen, so I'll court accordingly.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
EVERY time you pull the trigger,you are forming brass,whether you want to or not. I get what you are trying to say.(grin)

I always want to neck down and control Virgin headspace,unless I can headspace the barrel to the brass(barrel nut). It is a single pass "operation" to yield positive headspaced Virgins and I never load Virgins without being neck sized,due the fact that they are routinely bruised in transit.

MUCH to be said for good brass and good dies,being used with good lube,to nip "weirdness" at the start of the start. I prefer LRP's in chamberings of said capacity,but I simply wouldn't fucking linger....................
I appreciate the nudge. I am trying to remind myself that the current component drought won't last forever, so 22 Creed brass will be available again...sometime...maybe. 😁

In the meantime, necking 6mm seems to be a decent (temporary) solution.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
If greg had a 2B 1 in 7 or 1 in 7.7 I'd have it in the mail, 3 is a little chunky for what I want

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
22 PPC Fucking Improved on the 223(had The Kali Kid build me an "extra" bolt on the last order),wearing a Bart 1-7" #3 and likely in an AG Composite Altitude. No longer than 21" for sure. think I'll dabble it's feed/function guts this evening and have that whipped.

L/A will likely be another 280 SALAMI,as the 7" Bart' is there already. Heavy Pig,no recoil and it's fun to watch 180/90's fly into shit. Should give someone the POS Pre-64 .532" Donor and stock,then order a like handle for the 700 L/A. Lapooey '06 brass abounds and the melding is simply SINISTER.

Just more stuff that is FUN to shoot.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Had him on the phone the other day and he mentioned that he was hankering to recontour something!................(grin)

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I still have a bunch of 75gr A-Maxes and 62gr TSXs on hand, along with suitable powder and primer choices/quantities. The dies and brass were the only real constraints.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Peer pressure is right.

I just ordered that Bart #3 from Greg.

Bunch of fucking enablers....

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I snagged the last set of Redding FL dies and a 100 pcs of Lapua LRP 6mm Creed brass from Brownells. Let the games begin...
The brass and dies showed up today. Brownells listed two different SKUs for the Lapua 6-Creed brass, and one was labeled as SRP (and was discontinued).

I ordered the other one, hoping they'd be LRP, since it wasn't specifically stated. I thought they were going to have large primer pockets, but alas, they are small.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I'm guessing small rifle magnum primers work, huh?

I might put a batch of Starline 6CM brass on backorder. They have a large primer pocket version, and I've not been disappointed with the quality of their rifle brass. For the money, it seems to be pretty decent stuff.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I've got some creed brass with small rifle primers and it has been fine with magnum primers. I definitely don't see temperatures like you though

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I got away with SRP's in my 260AI...but prefer LRP's.

Might as well have your boltface 'pinhole bushed and 'pin turned now...............