data-csrf="1711662605,3b5ff4a74673a2f2a8fc1547d4b2267e" 22 Grendel over gassed | As Real As It Gets

22 Grendel over gassed

Firth

Feb 1, 2015
So, I put together a Grendel using one of these. I've been tinkering with it the last few weeks. Accuracy has been good, but it seems over gassed. That's my diagnosis anyway based on ejecting to about 1 o'clock and the brass getting beat up - not terrible - but somewhat more than I would expect. I've been playing with 6.5 Staball starting with 22 Nosler data from Hodgdon's online data. Burn rate is somewhat slower than what most are using in the Grendel (lever, CFE223, etc), but the velocity potential looked good and I had it on hand. I'm waiting on 88 ELDs, it would be a shame not to take advantage of the 6.5 twist, but I've run it up to about 3,050 fps with 75's without trouble.

Other specifics on the build if it helps:
rifle +2 gas
rifle buffer and enhanced spring from here
Rubber City Armory m16 bolt carrier
Maxim firearms 7.62x39 bolt
Aero low profile gas block

So, I figure I have a couple options to tame this thing a bit. Either play with recoil spring and buffer or go with an adjustable gas block. I've seen this buffer talked about. If I change out the gas block I'd probably go SLR. Cost actually looks like a wash, any advantage one way or the other? Slash buffer would add some weight, that's a minor con to me since I like where I'm at right now weight-wise. Any ruggedness/reliability concerns with adjustable gas blocks? I know several of you have put these together so thought I'd check in. Right now, I'm more confident that the gas block would fix everything without excess messing around. But, although I've put a few AR's together, I willingly admit I'm far from expert. For context also, this is mostly a coyote gun.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I put the Odin works adjustable on all my builds. Palmetto or one of the other outfits sells the same thing under their house brand for a bit cheaper.
Never had an issue.

I use that type adjustable cause it adjusts from the front and doesn’t have a side lock screw. It’s easy access from the front. If your handguard is long, get a long Allen key.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've quite a few of Harrison's spouts,both in 224 and 243,as well as more than a few pards driving them too. First issue I've heard of,in The Gas Department. Mine are all Rifle Gas,but there's some +2-inchers kicking around the neighborhood.

Controlling gas is never a bad thing and I prefer a slower cyclic rate...though I don't have a single adjustable block on anything..................