data-csrf="1714087111,873da4ac610fb1de3b4cfafb69549263" .22 GT | As Real As It Gets

.22 GT

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
Took my match gun up to Jon Beanland of Beanland Custom Rifles to have my M24 contour Osprey Barrel Works barrel blank fitted. Jon does absolutely 1st class work and having used several ‘smiths over the years, I’m convinced there is no one that does better.

Anyway, Jon had good things to say about the Osprey barrel. Said it was super straight, so much so that there was no need to index the curve, because there just wasn’t any. Also said the groove depth was very uniform. He thought the barrel was a bit harder than most, judging by how many plunges he made with the reemer. He cut the chamber with an Alpha Munitions reemer, and the chamber was a thing of beauty. I had him finish the barrel at 20” for suppressor use.

Loaded a few round of ammo Friday night so I could shoot it yesterday. Used virgin Alpha brass, CCI 450s, H4350, and 88gr ELD-Ms. Loaded five rounds at 33.6gr to zero, and one round each of 34, 34.4, 34.8, 35.2, 35.6, and 36 to try and find max pressure. No case prep on the virgin brass, just deburring and chamfering. Used an RCBS Matchmaster 6mm GT seating die. Runout at the ogive went anywhere from .001” to .006”. I’m not satisfied with anything more than .002” runout, but with virgin brass, it’s not uncommon. I’m confident I’ll get much straighter ammo after I’ve fireformed the brass.

I’m using Magpul AICS patterned magazines and I ran five rounds through to check feeding. Feeding was flawless.

The thing that impressed me the most was how close the first round out of the barrel hit to the zero from the previous barrel (Bartlein 6.5 Creedmoor). Without even a boresight, the first round hit on the left edge of the bullseye, only 1/2 mil from the previous zero. I made an adjustment and shot the next four of the 33.6gr charge. They went into about .6” with 3 of the four being in the .2s. Made another adjustment and shot the last six in the pressure series. They are the ones on the left side of the bullseye. For six rounds with six different powder charges, from 34 to 36gr, I thought this wasn’t too bad. The high shot was the last one, 36gr. Based on how well 34 - 35.6gr grouped, I’m pretty sure I could pick from 34.8 to 35.2gr and run with it. Saw no excess pressure signs from any of the charges. Bolt lift was good, no ejector marks, and primers were nice and round.

Last night, I measured some of the fired brass. When checking runout at the neck, I struggled to see any needle movement on the fired brass, indicating a very concentric chamber. Using a headspace comparator, the brass grew less than .001” on firing. I was able to slide bullets into the necks of the fired brass with my fingers but there was some resistance, indicating it’s a fairly tight necked chamber. I ran a couple of the fired brass through the Matchmaster sizing die with a .249” bushing and bumped the shoulders about .0005”. Runout at the neck on the sized cases was well under .001”.

Finally, I loaded five more rounds from 36.4 to 38gr to continue finding my max charge. Once I determine that, I’ll continue load development in ernest, but I think it’s going to shoot…

John

Reactions: Painless

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
My newest one wears a 7" Criterion from James and hacksawed to 24"(from initial 30"). No bedding,Alpha Virgin .003" constriction,positive headspace to same,90gr Beer Can Smooches and never even scoped it,until it found pressure(2nd load at 3200fps+). 200's and '17.

All of mine are hammers..............

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
John - I enjoyed the writeup thank you for sharing. It looks like those Osprey barrels are quality. You and I share a gunsmith :)

Nice shooting Stick! Is that a 22CM or did you dip into the 22GT waters as well?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
My mistake,as I was loading 224 Speedmire and had it on the brain. To date,I don't have any Gay Tigers.

Newest 20" Teeker S/S CTR 223 seems to do OK with 75 ELD's though,even in Virgin brass.(grin)

Need to mount some new glass today,hit the Reloading Bench and keep the ball rollin'..................

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
Did some more load work up on my .22GT. Once I found max, I concentrated on higher charges hoping to find accuracy with 88gr ELD-Ms at 3000fps or more from my 20” Osprey barrel. Alas, it was not to be. This barrel decidedly did not like any charges of H4350 greater than 36gr, grouping a bit over 1” with for 10 shots. I remembered back to when I was finding max, that four consecutive charges from 34 to 35.6gr all went into the same ragged hole so decided to try 35gr. Bingo! 35gr grouped 10 shots into .443” center to center. By the time I was six shots in, mirage off the suppressor was significant. Had it not been for that I think I could have done even better. Didn’t chrono it but based on come ups at 900, velocity is about 2900. I had hoped for more speed, but I don’t think 100fps is going to make or break a shot. Overall, very pleased so far.

John

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
My gt is off getting recontoured but I'm looking forward to working up with StaBall. I've heard good things . . .

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
That looks fantastic John.

For reference, I'm getting 3050 fps with 88s in a 22" 22-250 AI and 3100 fps in a 20" 22 creedmoor so you didn't leave a lot on the table going GT. I'm curious what barrel life will be with it

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
I’d be tickled to death if I could get 3000 accurate rounds out of it. 2900 fps with an 88gr ELD-M is nearly identical drop and drift to my 6.5 Creedmoor match load, which is 123gr Scenars at about 2940. Not a bad place to be considering the GT does it with 4” less barrel and considerably less recoil. Spotting your own impacts is a breeze and it is just a whole bunch of fun to shoot. I definitely see having a .22GT barrel chambered up for my hunting rig.

Also have some StaBall on hand to try in it…

John

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Barrel life and efficiency (nearly the same performance for less powder). The Creedmoor beats the GT otherwise.
I want a GT but got a deal so that has swayed me to a CM

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
I forgot to ask - why GT vs. 22 CM?
Was looking for the best compromise in a .22 between performance and barrel life on a .473 bolt face. Would have liked to find accuracy with 88gr ELD-Ms at 3k or so from my 20” barrel, but I’m not gonna sweat 100fps too much. Still have some StaBall to try in it too, but not going to spend too much barrel life worrying about it.

John

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Frank on the Hide keeps talking up the Valkyrie as the way to go for the heavy .22 pills.

Has anybody tried the .224 versus the GT or Creed?

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
The bastard case head of the Valkyrie makes it a loser in most bolt actions. Savage makes one. Case capacity is decent. The Creedmoor and GT work on 308 actions

Reactions: Rolltide

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Isn’t the Valk pretty much a .223AI in terms of performance?
I really haven't looked at it that closely, but it seems like Frank talks about it so much, I figured it was worth the ask.

I'm so deep into shooting rimfires that the thought of having to load my own ammo just doesn't sound fun...

It's probably why I shot less than 200 rounds of centerfire this year and over 20,000 of rimfire...

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country

Shot these five at 800 yards yesterday. Black dot is about softball size for reference.

Shot this sow with same load this evening at about 175 yards. Muddy spot is POI. 88gr ELD did the trick. DRT. Sow is longer than the rifle and weighs every bit as much as I do.

John

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Greats shots. Rifle and camera. Just looking at those chassis rifles makes my hands cold, here in the frozen North!

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
Had Jon Beanland spin up a .22GT barrel for my hunting rig. As per usual, the chamber is perfect.

And, as expected, it shoots. These are rounds 30-35. Four of the five went into .127.” The “flyer” opened the group to .452.”

Took the same load my match gun likes, zeroed, and the next morning killed a small whitetail buck at 420 yards. 1st pic is inside view, entrance side. The next is inside view exit side and last is outside view exit side.

Played a little more with load development In the hunting rig. I think it’s gonna shoot.

John

bgold

Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
My son has been shooting 6GT for about a year now, and had been thinking about 22GT. I've been pushed over the edge...barrel ordered and waiting for the CA kid to take work unless I can find someone else I trust.

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
My son has been shooting 6GT for about a year now, and had been thinking about 22GT. I've been pushed over the edge...barrel ordered and waiting for the CA kid to take work unless I can find someone else I trust.
I’d be very surprised if you don’t really enjoy the .22 GT. I’ve not tried Shane yet but have heard nothing but good about him and would not be afraid to use his services. That being said, I’ve used a bunch of well known ‘smiths and while all have been very good, or even great, none have been better than Jon Beanland. You can get a feel for the quality of his work in the video in my post. Currently, once he has the barrel in his possession, his turn around times are very quick.

John