data-csrf="1711673932,70dad0f139060307cd2dfd1ba571fa42" 300 Blackout | As Real As It Gets

300 Blackout

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Tell me where I am fucking up, except the chambering....
300BO
16.5" Barrel, threaded 5/8x24 at the sharp end. Trying to decide between Rem sporter/Rem Magnum/Rem Varmint contours. Going short as I expect it will wear a banish 30 most all its life. No idea how to balance that.
Probably will have a TT trigger, unless I happen into something else before the build is done.
At the moment, Lothar Walther is in the lead for barrels, due to a nudge from Shaen, but also due to all the insane internet rumor about them possibly being made of diamonds and/or fairy turds (as part of the alloy of course).
Thinking about Graboe stock, and tossing one of the PTG stealth DBM's on/in it. I don't know shit about DBMs except what I've read, and I don't remember much of that.
I expect its going to be scoped with a 6x chicken, but we'll see what develops on the scope front. Too much activity going on there....

Thoughts?

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I picked up a model 700 SPS AAC Blackout a few weeks ago as a birthday present myself.

Whoever had it before me had added a bolt know, worked the trigger, and taken good care of it. It's still sitting in the factory Hogue and depending on how it shoots, it may stay in it.

As soon as my KGM can is out of jail, I plan to run 190's and heavier while keeping them subsonic.

It should make for a fun...and quiet little rifle.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Aside from the "don't bother with 300BO" advice, keep in mind that Grayboe sells a very light stock and more standard weights - good for balancing the barrel/can weight choices. And don't trust PT&G. They lie constantly - buy the parts from someone who has them if you need them this year.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia

Have had this Rem AAC-SD 300blk for a couple years. They come with a Sendero profile. This one is 16” which isn’t a light weight but isn’t an unwieldily pig either. Have it sitting in a McM Classic.

If I were gonna build one for subsonic use I’d do a 6x45 with as fast a twist as I could find.

JamesFuh

Apr 23, 2022
  • Deleted by cwh
Show…

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
  • Deleted by CaptArab
  • Reason: Reason
Show…

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I can stop by your place and bring some rifles, along with a Banish, for you to fondle. None of them are exactly what you're describing, as a single package, but it might help you firm up some options with regard to Outlander, Terrain, DBM, contour, and balance.

As a test-drive, Ruger has a ranch model in 300BO, that takes AR mags. For around $500 a guy could flog on one, as proof of concept, before committing to a more costly build.

Heavy .30 cal bullets aren't cheap, nor are they ideally shaped for subsonic velocities, but they are quiet when launched from a Blackout. I'm not sure what other options there are for subsonic work, that pack that kind of punch, though, without going to a larger bore. For example, I saw a guy shooting a suppressed Ruger 77/44 that was pretty neat...300+ grainers at 1050fps sure made an impression on the bowling pins he was smacking. Airgun quiet!

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Two years ago CDNN was clearing out nitrided 16” AAC 300 blackout barrels for $99. I had one screwed on an action and put it in a Ti take off. It is fairly useless ballistically but it is silly quite with the YHM Resonator and just makes me smile so it stays around.

Pick up heavy 30 cal blems from Midway and they consume very little powder.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I’d drop the extra coin for the Hawkins or Greyboe bottom metal over the PTG version. But the wider trigger opening on the PTG can prove useful.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I guess I don't see how it couldn't be fun. I was thinking heavy subsonics only, and I would be happy if they could follow the rainbow out to 300 yards or so. I have heard lots of speculation that they aren't accurate, but I guess I wrote that off as bullshit from the AR pistol and spray-n-pray crowd. Am I wrong?

A 38 or 44 and subsonics would be fun, but another suppressor isn't exactly how I want to spend my money.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I briefly owned a Ruger Ranch 300, and while I couldn't get into it, it was very accurate. Subsonic as well as 110/125 loads.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Also, forgot to mention that I grabbed a couple of the ptg dbm setups a while back, s I will probably stick with that if I go dbm.

Reactions: CaptArab

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
A 38 or 44 and subsonics would be fun, but another suppressor isn't exactly how I want to spend my money.
I get that and would do the same if I didn't already have a 35 bore can.

I don't see why it couldn't be at least as accurate if not more than the rimfires seeing as how you've got good bullets at your disposal.

Some of the Barnes are even expanding at subsonic velocities from what I hear and should at least equal a good broadhead.

Subs are a hoot no matter what caliber.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Thanks to cwh, I got the itch for a .300 Blackout. I picked up a Ruger Ranch Rifle, the other day. I have a bunch of range brass to tinker with, suitable powders, and a number of different 180 - 200 gr .30 bullet offerings already on the shelf. I really didn't have to reach too far to scratch the itch. I snagged a set of RCBS dies, and I'm in business.

I'm hoping to get some loads put together and give it a go this weekend. I have a YHM R9 and a Banish 30 to quiet it down. The 5" R9 makes for a tidy package with the stubby factory barrel.

I briefly owned a Ruger Ranch 300, and while I couldn't get into it, it was very accurate. Subsonic as well as 110/125 loads.
I don't suppose you remember any good loading data off the top of your head, do you? Looking for an easy subsonic load.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Funny you should ask - a guy I worked with just asked me that same question and I couldn't find my notes. I talked him out of buying a 300 instead! I think I passed on the info I had when I sold all the brass and dies.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I shot the Ruger American Ranch today. First things, first, subsonic Blackouts are quiet! I don’t know if they are 22LR quiet, but it sure seems that way from the shooter’s perspective. This thing is fun to shoot!

I had two different factory loads, white box Winchester 200gr subs and Hornady Black 208gr ELDM subs. The Winchester load grouped 2.5” at 50yds, and the Hornadys were probably worse. I say “probably” because I didn’t get an entire 5-shot group on paper. Their point-of-impact was far enough away from the rest of the groups, I never actually captured all five shots in the two groups I fired with this ammo. The rounds that did land on paper didn‘t show me anything special.

I loaded several different bullets with a few different powders. For bullets, I had 190gr Hornady HPBTs, 200 ELDX, 220gr RNs, and some Speer 200gr SPs. For powders, I loaded CFE BLK, W296, H4227, and IMR4198. The 190gr HPBTs were consistently the most accurate. The 296 and CFE BLK loads were both around 1.5” at 50yds, with the 190s. The W296 load seemed quieter than the CFE BLK load, which I thought was interesting. Maybe that was due to the smaller power charge (9.6gr for 296 and 12.3gr with CFE BLK)?

The 220-grainers showed a lot of potential, but the POI was a full 9” to the left of where the 190s were grouping. Not kidding! I dumped the last 5 rounds I had loaded into the 100yd berm, and they all hit within minute-of-clay-pigeon. It’s likely this was the most accurate load, but the POI was so far off everything else, I’d probably have to shoot them exclusively to be practical.

The 200gr Speers grouped well, but they keyholed. They were WAY too slow (I used Sierra’s data), slow enough that I could see the flight path through the scope and strike the the paper. I’ll have to bump them up and try them again, because I have a decent supply.

Overall thoughts and impressions…
The accuracy seems adequate for 50yd pest control, and recoil is negligible. I can easily see bullet impacts at 100yds. If a guy had to, I bet you could walk them in like WWII indirect mortar and artillery fire. 😁

The rifle is Ruger’s original offering, with the 5-round rotary magazine. It fed everything and functioned exactly as it was supposed to. I have read about feeding issues with this magazine, but I didn’t experience any. In fact, it fed more smoothly than the .223 RAR rifle I previously had. I should probably buy a few more magazines, while they are still available.

The Blackout round packs more punch than my suppressed 9mm AR pistol, and because of the bolt action platform, it’s quieter. The downside to the Blackout is more expensive ammo, even for handloads, and the wildly different points of impact with different loads. This was probably the most surprising thing I saw today. A nine inch difference, at 50yds? Just. Wow!

I bought this rifle cheap. After shooting it, I doubt I would spend a lot more for a Remington 700 or build a 300 BLK with a custom barrel. I just don’t think the potential gain in accuracy would justify the expense. The 300 BLK is fun to shoot, but not THAT fun.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
A friend let me borrow his 300 AR pistol and I wasn’t impressed shooting suppressed. I put together a Remington 700 when Walmart was closing out their 223s and AAC barrels were $99 at CDNN. It is stupid quiet suppressed. It’s like a pellet gun with 220 grain projectiles. I really have no use for it but it makes me smile and it’s fun to hand to folks and watch their reactions. It’s also good for a out the back door rifle.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho

Nothing spectacular but minute of close enough to bang steel. This is at 100 yards with cheap Remington 220 grain bulk pack stuff. About 5” low from my 50 yard zero. I’m still in the acquiring brass via factory ammo phase but I’ve picked up dies and some Hornady blems from Midway so I’m hoping for a little improvement. I should probably swap the scope to a swfa 1-4 and shoot it like a mortar

Last edited:

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I was thinking about ordering another 1-4x, with the Blackout in mind. It's gonna be a short range affair, so 4x is plenty, and the light-up reticle should come in handy for quietly dispatching pests at all hours.

I have a bunch of range brass I've scrounged, but I just picked up 250pcs of Starline .300 BLK Brass. Their website says it's on backorder, but I placed my order on Saturday and it arrived yesterday. I bought some .223 brass from them a while back, same way - it said "backordered" but it showed up in less than a week. Underpromising and overdelivering, what a concept!

I've been impressed with Starline's offerings. Over the years, I've tried: .223 Rem, 6mm and 6.5 Creed, 7mm-08, .300 Ham'r, .357 Sig, .400 Cor-Bon, 10mm, .45 ACP, .45 LC and .454 Casull. No complaints about any of it.

Last edited:

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I think i have all the dillon shit to trim 223 brass to blackout if you want to fuck with it dan. I will probably buy some starline.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I think i have all the dillon shit to trim 223 brass to blackout if you want to fuck with it dan.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm good with range brass and new Starline. If you order from Starline, though, let me know. I'll jump in with you for a better volume discount.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I found a pound of Lil' Gun powder to try in the Blackout. I like it! I got better accuracy and quieter report with Lil' Gun versus CFE BLK.
Here are a couple of 50yd groups with 8.3gr of Lil' Gun and the 190gr Hornady BTHP:

I did manage to capture a 5-shot group with the Hornady Black 208gr subsonic factory load. Just like I thought, it sucks - 6+ inch group at 50yds!

I'm looking forward to playing with the 220gr bullets I ordered from Midway, today, but the range range won't reopen until January.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
  • Deleted by Dan In Alaska
Show…

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I've been shooting this stupid Blackout more than any of my other guns, lately, so I figured it was time for another update. The .300 Blackout has been an addictive pursuit, and a lot of fun!

I finally found some Hornady 190gr Sub-X bullets, and they don't disappoint. A charge of 8.2gr of Lil'Gun provides for a 1087fps launch speed and ES of 8fps. I might drop the charge another tenth or two, just to give a little more cushion to stay sub-sonice.

The 190 Sub-X and 208 ELD are the two most accurate bullets I've tried, so far, and Lil'Gun has performed so well that I have stopped playing with everything else.

Here is a 5-shot group with the 190 Sub-X at 50 yards:

And another group at 100 yards:

My 208 ELD handholds shoot much better than the Hornady Black factory ammo. These groups were shot at 50 yards.

Midway has the 190 Sub-X in stock, as well as some 208gr Factory Seconds, and they have a promo code for free shipping with $75 order. Time to snag some more!

Last edited:

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I will also add that loading Blackout ammo on the Dillon is so easy, it borders on fun. The little cases don't require a lot of force for sizing, and the big .30 cal bullets are easy to handle. Fast and easy!

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
No, I haven't whacked any critters with the Blackout. I probably should have taken it pig hunting with me, but I hadn't had the chance to try out the Ham'r, yet, so that's the rifle I took south. No regrets, though. The Ham'r is all kinds of fun to shoot pigs with!

Reactions: CaptArab

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Thanks for the report Dan.

I might have to get a B.O. upper just for giggles with the suppressor.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
For about the same money as a quality AR upper, you can get a Ruger Ranch Rifle. A bolt gun doesn't need a particular gas volume to cycle, so you get more freedom with power charges and selection, and it's stupid quiet!

I was thinking about ordering another 1-4x, with the Blackout in mind. It's gonna be a short range affair, so 4x is plenty, and the light-up reticle should come in handy for quietly dispatching pests at all hours.
My Ruger Ranch Rifle now wears a Trijicon Credo HX 1-4x with plain crosshairs and red illumination. EuroOptics has them on sale (closeout, maybe?) for $399. At that price, they are about $230 cheaper than dealer price, and a great snag. I like it enough that I ordered two more!

Last edited:

WaTF?

Jul 21, 2021
I’ve thought hard on a .300 BO bolt gun several times, and I think it’s probably time to snag one. Seems like a RAR Ranch is the easy button, and 110-125s would clobber Blacktails in the sub 100 yard places I hunt them.

I’ve got a 16” .300 upper, but running it suppressed is DIRTY! Subs won’t cycle, and I like it that way. They’re quieter when hand shucked, and I ain’t the Mag-dump type.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I don't think the Howa Mini is still being offered in 300 BO, or I would grab one. The Ruger does everything it's supposed to, but that stock....yuck!

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
  • Deleted by CaptArab
  • Reason: Reason
Show…

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
The more I tinker with this Ruger, the more I love this damned thing! I've put more rounds though this .300 Blackout, this year, than all of my other rifles combined. It's just plain fun to shoot!

I'm planning to go pig hunting again this year, and I'll probably take this rifle down for my father-in-law to use. He doesn't want to take anything he has, and I'm not sure how familiar he is with an AR, so this might be the ticket for him.

I started experimenting with supersonic loads, and it's eager to please. Here's five shots at 50yds:

I'm getting used to the stock. It still sucks, but the rifle is so fun to shoot, I just stopped thinking about it. 😁

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
For about the same money as a quality AR upper, you can get a Ruger Ranch Rifle. A bolt gun doesn't need a particular gas volume to cycle, so you get more freedom with power charges and selection, and it's stupid quiet!
It appears that I can't even follow my own advice. 😁

I like the little Blackout round so much, I just bought a cheap 10.5" upper for my SBR. PSA had the upper for $209 with free shipping. I already had an extra charging handle and BCG, on hand, so it was an easy itch to scratch. The bolt gun is still my favorite, but there's no denying that the SBR is fun, too!

Last edited:

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
It looks like you guys are having success with the lightweight bullets.

I never even think about shooting anything through my .300BLK except for the heavy subs through a can.

I may need to rethink that idea...

jack mountain

Feb 6, 2014
VA
700AAC with the sporter barrel off a model 7.
faux Ti stock cut for DBM,timney, SS1-4x. It’s fun suppressed but not much real use for it. Have about 450 more rds of 208Amax sub loads and when they’re gone it’ll be a 6x45 or a 7TCU.

standeford

Feb 3, 2009
Tennessee
I never even think about shooting anything through my .300BLK except for the heavy subs through a can.
I tried to warm up to 300 BLK and never could, even with the heaviest 30 cal bullets loaded as subs. My dedicated sub gun now is 8.6 BLK aka 338 Creedmore shooting mostly 300 A tips at 3" twist.

Reactions: Rolltide