data-csrf="1714239021,e4e7b75801cecb7b326707747df1e962" .300 HH opinions | As Real As It Gets

.300 HH opinions

tinman

Jan 12, 2016
What do folks think of the .300 H&H? I just picked one up with a Douglas 1/10 and edge stock. Is it blaspheme for it to not be in an original Pre-64 with wood?

Looking at some reloading books, it looks like it gets the same velocities as a 300 WSM with "only" ~2% more powder, so while it isn't the most efficient round out there, it could be worse. I'm not big on belts either, but do believe this one needs it because of the shoulder (or lack there of).

I've got an extra fixed fukker here, as well as a FXIII 6x42, so it'll have one of them thrown on top with either tallys or DDs.

thanks

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Blasphemy is dropping the ball,on blasphemy.

The 300H&H is poorest rate of return there is,on COAL to case capacity ratio. Bitter pill to schlep a full length H&H receiver to only dupe S/A performance and yet be shy of it's latitude in projectile selection.

I've had multiples of each.

Pass the 7mmRemmie/162's or 7WSM/162's...mainly because I've had multiples of each of them too.

No way I'd suffer a 300H&H Today...............

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
Throwback chambering. Put it in wood, add an old Weaver, put on your LL Bean boots and grab a checkered wool coat.

And a pipe...

tinman

Jan 12, 2016
Makes sense...I'll play with it a bit and sell it if it is as big of a POS as you say.

There'll always be another dumbfuk like me willing to take it off my hands.

Any other opinions? Good or bad? I'm not into the whole nostalgia thing, though this round seems to have it in spades.

tinman

Jan 12, 2016
I could do that 16bore...hell every once in a while I break out my old SxS shotgun, act like a snobby limey and hitch my pants up to my tits while smoking a corncob pipe.

I'm all about traditions, so maybe I should rethink my nostalgia comment above :laugh:.

I do LOVE my wool though (make of that what you will). Blows any sitka or kuiu gear (again, make of that what you will) I have used out of the water. Pure Filson for me.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
For a fuck around gun, why not. Are there much better options for performance, absolutely.

I have a safe full of fuck around guns, there for my giggles and no one else's......

CR

tinman

Jan 12, 2016
True that hangunnr...I've got some pretty pointless guns that are straight up fun to mess around with.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of those abortionalist Mossberg 464 SPX Lever Action 30/30s and putting a Trascho 4-16X and see throughs on it...plus a bunch of other tactical shit, just because it'll be gay as fuck.

I'm not very smart with my money:laugh:

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
Tinman, since you're a stupid bitch, let me be the first to warn you:

This place will cost you a boatload of money.

If you wanna learn how to run the absolute dogshit out of rigging, pay attention. Full throttle is just a start. There isn't much in the way of stroking walnut, waxing eloquent about Jack O'Connor, how great Partitions are, and glossy 3x9 VxII's being the "be all end all" of scopes around these parts.

And a final word of warning, if the Stick lays into ya, best thing to do is let him finish....

Having said that, I gotta get back to bedding my 270. I replaced the walnut with an HS, it's blued and has a glossy 3X9 on it. Shoots Partitions pretty well too, but I ain't loading for it anymore and will probably just shoot some $20 off the rack shit in it.

Just keep that between us though, OK?

tinman

Jan 12, 2016
Tanner said:
Sounds like a good rig to me, I'd put 155 Scenars in it and hunt the fuck out of it...

M700?

Tanner
Ya, it's the one Nathaniel sold of 24hr.

I've got some AMAXs and Bergers. We'll see what she likes.

I've also got 150 of the old style, amber box 200 grain Speer Grand Slams. Shit for B/C, but they straight up will knock an elk's dick in the dirt.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
tinman said:
I like this place!
We'll see how long that lasts.

Just so you don't feel like a total stupid bitch, I've got a 99EG with a K-4 that put my first buck in the freezer about 4 decades ago.

and a red plaid Filson Mac....

That said, polish that turd up and trip it for something that will flat amaze you.

Tanner

Jan 24, 2013
Colorado
tinman said:
Tanner said:
Sounds like a good rig to me, I'd put 155 Scenars in it and hunt the fuck out of it...

M700?

Tanner
Ya, it's the one Nathaniel sold of 24hr.

I've got some AMAXs and Bergers. We'll see what she likes.

I've also got 150 of the old style, amber box 200 grain Speer Grand Slams. Shit for B/C, but they straight up will knock an elk's dick in the dirt.
that's a badass rig. Fuck it, you know you'll kill shit with it no matter the head stamp. Might be worth it to stick a 185 VLD in it and see how it does too.

Tanner

tinman

Jan 12, 2016
May have to try the 185 VLD. I assume that's a Berger you're referring to? I've got some 210s left over and will absolutely try them, assuming the mag box allows me to seat them where they need to be.

Nathan claims it'll do 1" at 200 yards with the 200 grain Sierra...we'll see if it'll continue to stabilize better bullets at 500-700 yards, which is about all the further I shoot.

If it ain't what I am hoping for I'll trip it, but being that the last 8-10 elk I have killed were all way less than 300 yards, I don't think this rifle will have any limitations that will handicap me.

thanks guys
Any other opinions out there?

Pappy

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm with Tanner, load it up and run it. I have never ever not been able to kill whatever I wanted to because of my choice of cartridge. I'd load it with 220 round noses and put on a clinic just cause you could. Of course I like to go against the grain once in a while just cause I can.

257 Wby Mag

Feb 16, 2008
Chehalis, Wa
Dude, run whatcha brung, don't ask advice... bout anything you stuff in that sumbitch will kill bulls 300 yds and under... Cool chambering....

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'd throw a $80 700 takeoff in 7mm Remmie Mag on it and squirt 162's.

Less recoil,better BC's and far greater COAL latitude to put it all together.

It'd certainly see more actual use,due them facts............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Ruint/broke more than a few...and chased zero on many,many more.

No thanks,wood is for fires only...................