data-csrf="1711614356,2d1978191617847ba1ec4f2aaa3dfd50" 4-Wheeling Video | As Real As It Gets

4-Wheeling Video

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
It's fun without a doubt. Just wish I had more time to do it. But found time today. This afternoon I and a few more where playing in the mud. Did get some footage but mostly of a couple mud holes and a Rhino getting stuck in the mud.

I did happen to get into a hole of over 4 foot of water but I was the only one that had a camera, it was with me....'grin'

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
My wife and I haven't gotten around to buying our own 4-wheelers yet. We've got the boat, so we do a lot of swapping. I take friends fishing, and they take us riding. So far, it's worked out pretty well, but we're looking forward to having our own machines.

The red Honda is Chris's, and it's been anything but babied. They'll take a beating, no doubt. The guy he bought it from used it to launch his boat in the salt.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
My father-in-law has a Sportsman 500, and loves it. Everytime we get to talking about 4-wheelers, he tells me how awesome his Polaris is. I always respond with, "Yeah, but I actually plan to USE my machine." That usually gets him going for a while.....grin.

We've looked at just about all the machines for the last couple of seasons. There are lots of good machines out there, but we're leaning towards getting a pair of Yamaha Grizzly 450's.

FVA

Dec 6, 2007
Nice vid. I have a Honda 450S with about 6000 miles on it mostly by my kids. Just a couple oil changes so far.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
That Honda did not want to start in the cold though. That was a bitch. Hoping the new starter will fix that. It's about time to give the old girl a tuneup and get ready for spring - if it would just stop snowing.

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
Thanks for the video. It reminds me of the great times we had when we lived on Kodiak. We had 2 Polaris 300 4x4s at the time. Lot's of maintenance issues... 3 chains, the belt (which only slipped once, and we crossed lots of deep water) and the button for the 4wd would always freeze up due to the weather. But, the 2 stroke engine and light weight made for excellent traveling. I rode with guys with Honda 4tracks, and a guy with a Yamaha Big Bear. The Honda lacked clearance, and the Yamaha had a tendency to sink.

Not saying I'd go Polaris again, but those bikes plain went just about anywhere you'd point one.

caver101

Dec 10, 2007
NW GA
I have had a sportsman 500 before, and a trailboss 325SE. NEVER again.........

The 500 was like trying to weave a long bed F350 truck through the woods and the center of gravity was WAY too high on that bike. Would not go for shit and the unitized braking system is worthless.

adkshootr

Dec 10, 2007
southern adirondacks
I've had 2 Sportsman 700s, a 2001 and my current 2004. 2001 didn't like the cold, 2004 didn't either until Polaris sent out a tech bulletin and the dealer re-jetted it for free. Since then it has run great no matter the weather. Should've just gone efi, next one will be.

Stay submerged long enough and get the belt wet...well, there's an issue.

Other than that have had no problems to speak of, just the yearly oil change and grease the fittings.

Not sure what brand my next one will be, but can't bitch too much about the ones I've owned...

Ochoco

Nov 18, 2007
CO
I'm on my second Polaris, with the first being a 93 2stroke 250.........Now, I've got an 800 Sportsman with EFI.

Never have had problems with either one and rode the shit out of the 93. While the 800 hasn't had nearly the miles on it, I've had zero issues with it thus far.

Nearly everyone in this area rides Polaris and they all say the same thing..........Don't get any better. Best ride, great clearance, tons of power, excellent tranny, and very dependable.

I used to like Hondas and Yamahas until I hopped on a Polaris.........sure makes for a smooth ride.

Zeek

Apr 23, 2008
Bought a Honda 300 in 91.Still running after all these years.
Great machine!

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
I did have a Polaris 400 Explorer 2-stroke(traded it on the Honda). Also a Honda 500 Rubicon(totaled it and bought the Kawi). Now a Kawi Brute Force 750 modded pretty good, and never ride it. WTF!