data-csrf="1711622514,cdffe70c429abf66e3c8b66b8aed1488" 6.5 Creedmoor Build | As Real As It Gets

6.5 Creedmoor Build

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
After inquiring about the Cooper Raptor, a few months back, you guys pretty well talked me out of it. Building was a better way to go, you said, and I was turned off by the 10+ pound weight of the Cooper rifle, anyway.

Well, the new 6.5 Creedmoor isn't in my hands, quite yet, but it's done and the 'smith sent me pictures:

Rifle Specs:
Stainless 700 Action (thanks, gap3006)
6.5 Creedmoor, 1-8" twist
22" Mullerworks barrel, SS, carbon wrapped, sendero contour, threaded muzzle
AG Composites Alpine Hunter stock, carbon urban camo
Hawkins Precision M5 bottom metal
Oversized bolt knob
Cerakote, sniper grey
Jewel Trigger

Weight: 7lbs, 2oz

The rifle was built but Pederson Precision, in Wisconsin. Matt Pederson does the carbon wrapping for Mullerworks' barrels, so it was easy to just send him my action and let him take care of the rest. I sent him the action, mid-November, and he'll ship it back to me this week. I'll post a range report, when I get a chance to shoot it.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I've never monkeyed with this particular stock before, nor have I played with AICS magazines. If I like how this one shoots and handles, I can see doing something similar to this in .223 Rem. Already have the action!

Last edited:

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Lame.

Just kidding, it looks awesome. Not *quite* enough carbon fiber IMO, but that's subjective I guess.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I dig it Dan!

I was asking about a build almost identical to this and had every plan to move forward with it....and then I found a 6.5 Creedmoor Montana...

I'm looking forward to hearing more about it once you've got it in your hands...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
That stock sorta intrigues,but I can't get the AG Composites/MPA Altitude outta my mind,when gawking the platform...................

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I've got a Mesa stock just sitting here...waiting on me to get off my duff and through a barreled action just like this into it...

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Shot the new rifle today. It shoots the 143s and 147s really well, which is a good thing, because I actually have some on hand. I tried '16, '17, '26, and H4350. H4350 showed me the tightest groups, but I didn't check anything for speed. Next time.

I tried a few different factory loads, as well, and the Norma Match 130s shot really well. Back when they were on the shelf, the were $26.99 a box. I probably should have bought more. Here is a 100yd, 5-shot group:

I really like the AG Composites stock and Hawkins bottom metal. I can see doing another build on the Alpine Hunter stock, in .223, with an 18 or 20" barrel, threaded for a suppressor. I see Magpul is coming out with an AICS mag for .223. I wonder how they will compare to the MDT poly mags?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
What would you change,if anything?

10x MQ? I was shooting a 10x MO/MO today and remembered how I sooooo very MUCH prefer MQ over MOA Quad,even though it gets an 88 to the 1400yd line,from a 250yd zero,on the reticle alone...............

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I really like the lightweight aspect of this build, but I wonder how the carbon fiber barrel will hold up, over time. I'm more gentle with my rifles than some (grin), but I do wonder if the carbon fiber wrap will handle much in the way of dings, drops, and other abuse?

It'll take some time to get used to the AICS magazines; they are kind of a pain to load, and I prefer an ADL/blind magazine for my hunting rifles. The Accurate mags offer LOTS of wiggle room, but this is primarily a range queen rather than a hunting rifle. I wanted to try the DBM thing.

I have a 10x MOA-Quad on it. I think I skipped school the day they taught mils, or I wasn't paying attention. I should just sit down and figure it out, but I haven't really the urgent need to "work" that hard, when I'm stuck shooting at 300 yards, max, on our local ranges. I need to find a nice area, off the beaten, path to let things rip. I am envious of your shooting opportunities for long range pursuits.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I haven't screwed a suppressor onto it, yet, but I'm wondering if I will wish for a shorter barrel when I do? As it sits, it balances really well.

I really dig the stock. I much prefer this slender fore end, compared to the wide beavertail on the A5. The palm swell on the AG is beefier than I had imagined, but it's not unruly, similar to the A5, from what I remember. The AG is non-textured, and for a range queen, smooth is okay.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I have one CF barrel on a ridgeline. Bought it for beach moose hunting. Barrel is fine. Just about it everything else rusted. Grin. Took it up some big mountains and beat it up pretty good. Again, barrel is fine.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
That's good to hear!

Edited to add: The only thing saltwater won't mess up is saltwater. I'm not even sure the fish like saltwater. Why else would salmon run upstream to do their business?

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
DBM's will quickly spoil you and AICS mag patterns,have no equal. I typically default 5-rounders for Utility and poke another in a ruck,with another Herd Clip for Giggle Gunning.

The 'Horn was driving a 1-7.5" NSS 223 SALAMI the other day,playing with a new to him scope(Bushy LRTS 4.5-18x G3) and was doing a nice job making empties and I sorta mentioned in passing that "Herd Clips don't suck" and he just smiled and said "no they don't". In 223,the MDT poly Herd's are nice to brass and (10) extry pokes is a fair amount of corpses.(grin)

I've a LOT of faith in gunning the reticle alone,when atmospherics allow it(no crazy wind holds) and there's no better way to learn,than simply doing so. The FAST Lane there,is of course 22LR,due the holds getting big quick.

Shooting at the 1225yd line with 88's in a Speedmire from a 250yd zero,is only 9.0 Mil's of ele correction and full value wind at same,is a scant 2.4 Mil's. 240yds with my BIG Vudoo on a given Lot of Bulk Ammo from a 50yd zero,is a 9.1 Mil ele correction and full value wind is 2.7 Mil's,so it is VERY easy to scale in accordance. Plus you get to watch the 22LR flight's path and the feedback is immediate and kick in the ribs as a Learning Aid. It's IMPOSSIBLE not to get better at Wind Reading and when the dust settlles,that matters wayyyyyyyy more than the rest of it.

I made the 'Horn tote a 54 Anschutz home(the one I got from Chris) and a brick of Norma Match and told him to just go shoot THE fuck outta it. Getcha' a fair to middlin' rest and simply chase your abilities,KNOWING that the platform is doing it's part.

It's CHEATING.....................(grin)