data-csrf="1713605171,dcb88bb9313ed824af6bd1f81537b854" 6 Dasher...sell me on it!............... | As Real As It Gets

6 Dasher...sell me on it!...............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm thinking this will be Al's field,but I am of course all ears.

Keep in mind Alpha brass solely,no-turn NSS 7" RPM spout and Dirty Duty giggles in a Heavy Play Toy. What do I get,that's "missing" from my current 6BR version of same?

Appreciate any/all thunks.

Obliged..............

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Can’t help with the Dasher. But you all helped urge me into my first BR which finally arrived last month.

Basically a heap of leftover Howa parts with a Hardy 1-7” screwed on. Bloody thing is already the most accurate thing I’ve ever owned and it’s not been bedded nor loads sorted. First nine shots that went through the new bbl went 0.75moa over the tailgate of the ute in a howling wind. Now it’s under half-moa and I can’t even shoot!

No help to you Stick but thanks from me!

Photo attached for comic relief

Attachments

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I've pondered this as well. I think you get 100+ fps in exchange for fire-forming. Maybe feeding is a little harder with the sharp shoulder, but that's not a problem I've personally had with AI's. Apparently some people have but I sort of lost interest in them after a few versions.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
'f7,

Alpha has 6 Dasher brass,so there's no "forming".

EVERYTHING feeds ala AICS DBM and that is THE easiest part................(grin)

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
I have built a few 6 creeds but for me (a guy that can't have that many rifles) if a guy already has a 6 br the 243ai offers a substantial improvement in down range performance. But that's just my thoughts on the situation.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm rather sweet on the 270,243 Grendel,6BR,Kreed,243,243AI,6-284 and Six Twat-Six in the bore size,though I shoot others too.

Now you got me thinking about another rifle.............(grin)

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia

That’s where I’m at - 6mmBR and 243AI are my two 6mm chamberings at present and I can’t see me wanting more. The larger of the two is feeling very unloved however, since the BR came along!

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada

That’s where I’m at - 6mmBR and 243AI are my two 6mm chamberings at present and I can’t see me wanting more. The larger of the two is feeling very unloved however, since the BR came along!
Yeah it's funny how a guy will grab the 6br almost every time unless the wind is really bucking or a guy really wants to reach out. My AI is so god damn accurate I try not to shoot it too much trying to conserve the barrel must be my Scottish roots....

Reactions: bobnob

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Alpha is just killing it. If they were a public company I'd buy stock. Amazing how listening to customers works. More companies should try it.

My 243AI hasn't had a warm barrel in two years....

7mmMato2

Oct 7, 2019
I shot a Dasher all summer. Tikka T3 bought the barrelled action off the hide. It had reportedly 1700 rounds down it. I bought Hunts Long Range Hydro formed brass and went to work. I settled on a load of 32.5 RE-15 and 103 gr Vapor Trail Vtac. Shot PRS matches all summer with it. Very accurate chambering I started at 31 gr and worked up till I hit the speed I wanted 2850 out of 24" Hawk Hill 7.5 twist. I put another 1600 round thru it and it was still shooting less than 1/2 moa. Took it 1200 yds several times. I really like the Dasher but it is at the Plumber now getting rebarreled to a 6BRA just due to the fact that this Smith has the Bra's down to a science. Going 24" Hawk Hill again in 7.5 twist .130 freebore with a .274 neck. I know a lot of guys pushing the Dasher up to 2950-3000 but I feel that is a little hot. I would rather have long case life than 100 fps more speed. A guy cannot go wrong with anything based off of the BR case. I had no feeding issues using a Bindered AI mag had to tweak the front lips just a little did not have to use the Primal Rights kit on my Tikka. Magpul mags fed good but you have to grind the hell out of the top of them to get them to work in a Tikka then they get weak enough to spread the lips and spit multiple rounds out in the middle of a stage so I gave up on them. Accurate Mag I tried was a no go. I would have no qualms over going back to a Dasher.

7mmMato2

Oct 7, 2019
Neither ... I think you would like it but I don't think it will do anything that you haven't already got covered. I really enjoyed mine and it was very consistent hell I never even chased the lands in it started off .020 off and the last time I checked it was .040 and still shot the same. Over 3000 round and it was still shooting well. I picked up a certificate off the prize table at a match for a free chambering job from a Smith that is local to me and builds a lot of PRS rifles. He has put together some tack driving BRA'S so that is what I went with otherwise I would of went back with a Dasher. Just gotta take .080 off of my sizing die for the BRA. If you are interested in some Wilson Arbor dies for the Dasher I got a bushing sizer and a Micrometer seater that I would trade for some Lapua BR Brass.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Did Borden's BR action ever catch on? I had him on the phone and everything he was telling that wouldn't/couldn't work(feeding ala AICS DBM),was/is.

Curious?................

RDW

Sep 6, 2014
Al steered me away from the Dasher to the 6X47, said it was easier to neck the 6.5x47 down than form the Dasher but it looks like Alpha took care of that.

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
'Stick...you know how much I love the BR cases and most any mutations built off it. Even off the 30BR, I've done the 30BRX and 30 WolfPup (outrageous to the extreme).

For me, it's darn hard to make a case (pun intended) for a Dasher over a standard BR for anything short of a very, very niche' application.

For the 'bigger' 30BR's, we did it because H4198 (the powder of choice) is borderline slow and any faster powders are too much of a leap and came up to over pressure too suddenly to be able to stay in tune over a days competition. So, the increase in case capacity was an effort to make H4198 'think' it was 'faster'.

In the 22 and 6 Dashers, the same applies. For launching the big heavy stuff, a little more case capacity is helpful. My pals that shoot registered 600-1000 yd. BR competition that play with all the case variants tell me that day in and day out, it's hard for them to see any difference. And these are guys that seriously know how to shoot and tune...serious as a heart attack types. No B.S. and just- the- results- matter type of guys. Pressure is your friend with the BR case and the Dasher helps deliver that with the longer bullets...not so much the weight as the jacket contact area.

I'll swim against the current a bit and opine that the Dasher in both the 22 and 6 versions are at their best with twists in the 1:12-1:13 range, modest bullet weights that have great-for-the-weight B.C.'s (think Nosler BTips and some of the VMax offerings) at upper end velocities that the larger Dasher case volume offers. Laser-ish trajectory is critical for 'dogs, foxes and coyotes. In that application, the 22 dasher is surprisingly harsh on the throats. The 6 Dasher is much better in that regard. I have one 22BR that has a Lilja 3 groove for just that reason.

I'm doing a new build BR-cased gun now for myself and after clicking the boxes on the pro and con sides of the page, a simple no-turn 22BR got the nod.

Just my thoughts on a Saturday morning. -Al

Last edited:

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Al,

Been musing a 30BR myself - just because.

Would H4198 be too slow for the 110g Vmax? Barrel length would be right around 20” and probably a 1-12 twist.

Bob

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Al, been musing a 30BR myself - just because.

Would H4198 be too slow for the 110g Vmax? Barrel length would be right around 20” and probably a 1-12 twist. Bob
Bob, H4198 (not IMR 4198) will be just fine. Here's the thing with the 30BR case....the case prep has to be done right. None of the no-turn stuff applies to this case as poor results are guaranteed. Freebore diameter and length are also critical to get right. Case chamber neck dimensions of .330-.332 are what you want with reamer dimensions based off Lapua 6BR cases.

Accurateshooter.com has some detailed 30BR stuff that Randy Robinett, Joe Entrekin and myself did on the 30BR that may be of help to you. Link is below:

Hope this helps. -Al

Last edited: