data-csrf="1714089093,a868cab44e625ae50a05ec9057c27dc1" 6mm Projectiles | As Real As It Gets

6mm Projectiles

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I have a .243 Fieldcraft on the way. With its 1-7" twist, the options for projectiles are numerous.

I picked up a box of 108 ELDs at Sporty's, last night, but they only had the one box. They had a bunch of 95, 105, and 115gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets on the shelf, though.

Brownells has Lapua 105 Scenars and 90 Scenar Ls in stock, as well.

If I can't source more 108s, what's the next best option?

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
105 hunting VLDs work but can be temperamental to get shooting well and are kinda zooky in flesh.

105 scenars have been really easy to get to shoot and act the same every time on flesh that I've seen, though they are a bit hard, no need to shy away from bone with them, in fact they perform better on smaller animals if you catch some bone. Their BC is better than advertised too. I have shot a bunch and really like them.

105 hornady HPBT are hard to beat for the money.

108 eldm are not giving me exits on lung shot whitetail but do a lot of internal damage. They seem pretty darn soft though.

If you want a handful of 105 scenars to try PM me and I'll send you enough to test

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Skinners are NASTY Bitches and that's high praise.

All rifles are different,but mine do thusly to Smooch.

Though I default 105 Hornie HPBT's,in most things of the boresize......................

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I don't know about wolves but you're not keeping any I mentioned in a coyote. I've got some runners here and there.

Using scenars,exits are about quarter sized on coyotes and 50 cent piece to golf ball sized on whitetail and antelope with lung hits.

The bergers act the most erratic but have always killed ok for me.

105 hornadys always exit on coyotes making a bigger mess than scenars and seem to about 75% of the time on deer.

108s I haven't shot enough to know but I haven't yet gotten an exit on a lung shot deer and they rip the shit out of the off side of a coyote

Reactions: RickF

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Thanks for all of the information, guys. I have two boxes (their last two boxes) of 105 Scenars headed my way. Midway's free shipping code was a nice bonus, as well.

I was tempted to pick up some 107gr SMKs, but will all the love for the Scenars, I decided to keep it simple.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
If you want a handful of 105 scenars to try PM me and I'll send you enough to test
I really appreciate the offer, Dude. With sparse component availability and AK logistics, I just thought I jump right in. If it turns out that I hate them, I can still trade them off, later.

Thanks, again!

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
I always default to the 105 Hdy BTHP, but if I see the 107 SMKs on special I buy them up too. Both have Always worked well for me re accuracy and terminal effects on pigs, goats and such.

Also shoot a lot of the 87 Vmax as we can get them cheap in bulk - not as good in the wind as the above however.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
No problem Dan, btw, the 22-250AI hasn't lost its touch. Got a some coyotes this week with it

Bob, have you shot any pigs or goats with the 87 vmax? How did they do if so?

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I have a few 105 amaxes if you want to test drive them. Give you a chance to figure out a load before you sell me that rifle. :)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I should empty my shelves of the Nuzzler RDF's.

They are like screwing in an Improved choke tube.....................(grin)

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Bob, have you shot any pigs or goats with the 87 vmax? How did they do if so?
Yes. More goats than pigs. They knock goats over really well.

Only a couple of pigs but put that pill behind the shoulder and they drop. They performed more like a normal soft point than an explosive varmint bullet. A mate of mine has shot many more pigs with this pill than me, out of a SAAMI 243 and heā€™s very happy with them.

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
I should empty my shelves of the Nuzzler RDF's.

They are like screwing in an Improved choke tube.....................(grin)
Only used them out of the 223AI. They were the 70g variety. Most inaccurate bullets of at least a dozen I have shot from that rifle which is a 0.75moa rifle even on a bad day!

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Thanks for all of the information, guys. I have two boxes (their last two boxes) of 105 Scenars headed my way. Midway's free shipping code was a nice bonus, as well.
The Scenars from Midway arrived today.

I remember grumbling to one of Midway USA's customer service people a few years ago about their "free" shipping promotion. The "free" part didn't apply to Alaska, and I'm fairly used to that, but the part that really bugged me was that they shipped via UPS. UPS then handed it off to USPS for final delivery, which is fine, but it took 5 weeks to get here! And, it still cost me $15 for the privilege. So, I called to let them know what I thought about the situation.

It would appear that I need to call them back. This time, I need to THANK THEM for getting things fixed! Their service, as of late, has been outstanding!

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
My midway box arrived yesterday with both ends blown open and the broken box of 155 scenars rattling around. Ended up with 95 out of that 100, presume the rest are in the UPS truck!

bgold

Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
I'm friends with the guy that services all UPS hubs in the state. The hub that services Midway has offered to cut rates if they fix their fucking boxes, as their shit fucks up the conveyer belts constantly.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Lapooey boolit boxes ALWAYS blow up on me too,via USPS Priority.

Midway's "packing" ain't the best. Have had more than a few orders missing a goodly portion of the total......................

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Shot the "new" .243 Fieldcraft today. I started off with some random ammo I assembled, while showing my niece and nephews the basics of reloading rifle cartridges. I rounded up some used loading equipment for them, with the help from several friends and forum members. A couple weeks ago we held a Zoom session, so we could go through the loading process together.

I grabbed some 100gr Sierras, from a partial box I had floating around, and I just picked a random charge (42gr of '19) out of the Nosler book. I didn't have the rifle, yet, so I just assembled 10 rounds at SAAMI length. I figured I'd use the generic rounds for fouling shots and zeroing.

The first shot was on paper at 100yds, so I adjusted, and sent the next nine rounds into the target:

I shot various other loads with 105 A-Max, 105 Scenars, and 108 ELDs. The Scenars shot great with each powder ('16, '17, and '26), while the 105s and 108s were a more selective. I'll keep working on it.

RickF

Jun 4, 2008
East Kootenays, BC
Thatā€™ll work!

I took delivery of a 6.5 Creedmoor fieldcraft a couple weeks ago. Am putting it in a Montana stock. Hope it shoots like that after the dust settles!

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I shot various other loads with 105 A-Max, 105 Scenars, and 108 ELDs. The Scenars shot great with each powder ('16, '17, and '26), while the 105s and 108s were a more selective. I'll keep working on it.
Houston, we have a problem!

Took the .243 Fieldcraft out, again, today. EVERYTHING shot for shit, factory ammo as well as handloads. I don't *think* it was me, because I was shooting other rifles today and doing just fine. I checked everything on the rifle, and all of the fasteners are tight and everything seems to look like it's supposed to look.

Do you think the scope crapped out on me? It was a brand new Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x, as of last week. I mounted the scope before last week's range outing, and it worked just fine - adjusted the way is was supposed to with no surprises. I've never had a scope crap out on me before, so is this what happens (see groups below)?

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to the groups, just lousy. I can swap the scope before the next range trip, but is there anything else I should be looking at?

Last edited:

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Swapped scopes tonight. I didn't notice anything out of whack during the process. I guess we'll find out, next trip to the range.

Classic fieldcraft. I hear they are junk, but I'll take it off your hands...
I'll hold out just a little longer, there, bud. šŸ˜

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
The rifle is back to doing what it's supposed to, after the scope swap. Looks like I'll get to try out Leupold's customer service for the suspect VX3i.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
If it goes like normal they will replace half the internals in the scope and then send it back to you.

Then your supposed to sell the rebuilt scope and buy a more reputable brand.

And despite knowing this from experience I still have a slight desire to try one of the Mark 5ā€™s. Probably kick myself for it if I do.