data-csrf="1711653186,0589ae07f598285c952383e1ece33a09" 6x45 throat | As Real As It Gets

6x45 throat

Apr 3, 2010
Got in MDT mags per Stick's advice. They seem really nice for this 6x45 project. Components coming together:

ARC Nucleus 2 lefthand 223 bolt face
McMillan Classic with inlet for Hawkins Hunter bottom metal
Hawk Hill #2 7.5 twist, chopped at 17" and threaded
Timney HIT trigger

Pic shows 95 Berger Classic seated to base of neck. Pic is right at 2.49 OAL. If they fly, will shoot critters with them. If not, 90 and 103 ELD, or 95 VLD, or perhaps heavier will get tried. Throat should allow those to work fine is the goal.

Cheap rig to shoot of course. Powders on shelf include H335, W748, RL15, Varget. Needed 6mm to be legal in CO.

Reactions: Al Nyhus

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
All I shoot are 105's. On both MDT's and AccurateMag's,I remove material up front for greater COAL.

BabiestMontucky 270 in front seat now,while crummy warms up,as a guy could bump a Bear any time...............

Apr 3, 2010
Will look for 105s as I'd like to get throat right for the heavies. Looks like a simple rat tail file in front of mag to allow more OAL. Good luck on bruins.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I only needed to file my accurate mags, the MDTs were ok.

Stick a couple empties in the mag to hold the follower down and either file or Dremel what you need.

That will be a sweet little rig

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
It takes a SHORTER throat,to keep better BC's at like COAL.

Plenty of fish,but currently a Hurricane Blizzard,so no bear glassin' for me this evening............

Apr 3, 2010
Installed Timney HIT on here today. Action does not seem to suck. Waiting on McMillan and hawk hill now.

Apr 3, 2010
At 5 weeks currently and waiting. Haven't ordered one in a bit but have heard they are coming down.

Apr 3, 2010

2.5-3 months on a McMillan it seems. Originally had it setup for Stiller then changed to Nucleus action. Fits good enough despite me switching gears on the boys at McMillan. Just waiting on Hawk Hill now.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Little Blue Bitch Montucky 270,has yet to lose it's spot in the front seat.

I'm rather partial to the chambering...................

Apr 3, 2010
Hawk Hill says 6mm are up now. So should be in work shortly. May cut it at 18" as with the TBAC UL7 I want the balance point just in front of the mag well.

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
fuckall i debated for a while on a 6br vs 6x45

sound off on how she shoots and velocity. plenty happy with 223 and heavies but the lower blast would be nice

Apr 3, 2010
Parts are either in or on the way to California. Should not be too long now hopefully. Everything should be on hand as far as reloading stuff goes.

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
Most guys on here seem to prefer the straight 6x45. I am considering a 6x45 AI build very soon. Before I lock in on a reamer, I just wanted to ask why the preference for not going AI in the 6x45? Feeding issues?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
'338,

You are gonna dig it. Heard my 22 PPC Alaskan Improved got done today,from somewhere down there..................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Most guys on here seem to prefer the straight 6x45. I am considering a 6x45 AI build very soon. Before I lock in on a reamer, I just wanted to ask why the preference for not going AI in the 6x45? Feeding issues?

It's High BC's or bust for me,in said cartridge. To gain meaningful increase in 105/8/10's...you simply got add meaningful capacity increases. The jump to AI,ain't that.

Exactly what receiver,twist and bullet do you have in mind and how do you plan to feed it? I've got 'em in ADL(Kimber Montucky) and 700 wearing AICS DBM. Nary a feed/function concern,in either direction.

What are you planning for dies?................

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
Exactly what receiver,twist and bullet do you have in mind and how do you plan to feed it? I've got 'em in ADL(Kimber Montucky) and 700 wearing AICS DBM. Nary a feed/function concern,in either direction.

What are you planning for dies?................
Thanks for the perspective on plain vs AI chamber flavours. The action will be a Rem Sportsman 78, basically a 700. I was thinking of Magnum weight 21" barrel. Twist will be 7.5, as 105 BTHP's interest me as well, although 87 VMax will also be on the menu. Boyd's Varmint Pro inletted M5, with PTG DBM. Dies will be Redding Type S 223 AI, as I already shoot 223 AI and 20-223 AI, as well as having an assortment of 6mm bushings already in the quiver.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Lotsa ways to get there,but a FL pass with a 25-45/25 Sharps/25-223 die,will organize even O/F cases nicely and then affords a false shoulder,for positive initial headspace.

Your blueprint will yield a nice platform,as it is essentially a Halibut Rifle. Giving throating a thunk,so as to keep Smooches within AM steel 5rd and MDT poly 10rd mags and you are there. Easiest way is to have mags in hand,open them up,then throat shy of same with a Dummy Smooch.

87's are soooooooooo fucking far in the rearview mirror,that I can't even see them....................(grin)

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
Should add,I want a false shoulder even on Lapooey Virgins in 270....................
Yes, that is something I picked up from this site, and to be more specific, your ruminations. All the brass I use that doesn't already fit the chamber gets a false shoulder on preliminary firing for a couple or three years now. EVERYTHING works mo bedda that way, brass life, accuracy, primer strike, etc. Obliged. I appreciate the link, but I'm finished with my Lee phase, although I do still assemble 223 with an old set prior to initial feeding of the 223 AI. I picked up a set of RCBS 223 dies reamed to 25-45 Sharps about 6 months ago on a trade, with the intention of arranging false shoulders once this build happened. It is good to see the confirmation that you reckon likewise though. Thanks for the advice on throating. I was going to get the chamber cut with a 223 AI reamer using 6mm pilots (smith has a 223 AI piloted reamer but no 270, vanilla or AI), then add a neck and throat with an off the shelf Manson Neck/Throat reamer. I'll pick up some mags and assemble some dummies first, so I can evaluate if the Manson order might need to include a regrind request. I emailed Dave asking what the standard N/T reamer dimensions are a few weeks ago but that's as far as I got. The answer was a somewhat disappointing, "standard dimensions" which surprised me as Manson is usually more accommodating of information requests. I'll get the old school telephone in action and join the morning que of callers on hold soon, to gain the info I need to proceed further.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Complete and total control of headspace,will "only" make a rifle more accurate,more reliable and greatly extend case life,if only for starters.

Your in good hands with Manson................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Glass/mounts/application?

My 270 Montucky don't care about anything and just wants to do it all...and does...............(grin)

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
Complete and total control of headspace,will "only" make a rifle more accurate,more reliable and greatly extend case life,if only for starters.

Your in good hands with Manson................
Fully agree on both counts.

As far as glass, it's going to get it's first firing wearing a Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x, as I've got a couple of spares lying around and that will do for the time being. I'm still pretty happy with dual dovetails, so it will be mounted in Signatures. I've even been known to still buy two sets of used 30mm Signature standard dovetail's and make dual dovetail's out of them, with 20 MOA of cant. With my old eyes, 20 MOA gets me to the ranges I can still ring steel at just fine.

Last edited:

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
application?

My 270 Montucky don't care about anything and just wants to do it all...and does...............(grin)
Application will be gophers in the wind and the occasional Muley. A 270 Montucky would suit me just fine, but a stupid good deal on one with the right bolt head has not presented itself to me yet.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Bushie 10x will start painting a guy in a corner pretty quick,given no parallax and a MOA erector conjoined to the Mildot reticle. It can be done and I reckon few have done it more than me,but it is soooooooo "Icky!" now.(grin)

Montucky 223's generally start a Riot,if/when they come up available and for GOOD reason.

My Baby 270 wears a Swiffer 1-6x HD and I rather LOVE it. My Heavy 270 wears a Bushie DMR II 3.5-21x and it's a good fit,for certain.

Lotsa mainstays have dried up as late,if only obviously. But I've been flogging on a Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x this pass. Initial R&D was on my HEAVY Vudoo and it floored me,in it's tracking and repeats,beings I wasn't very nice to it. Glass is stupid good for the jingle and the Illumination is killer and wayyyy beyond daylight bright. Elevation/windage both lock and elevation gets a second scoop of "nice!",with a mechanical zero stop,which is rather robust. Size/weight/features and zoom range,make it beg to be applied in a Utility role,which it sounds like is on your menu. FFP being a given.

Tossed it aboard a 8" RPM Teeker in 223 SALAMI for "keeps" and ordered (2) more.

Might could rate a thunk...................

Reactions: Al Nyhus

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
Lotsa mainstays have dried up as late,if only obviously. But I've been flogging on a Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x this pass. Initial R&D was on my HEAVY Vudoo and it floored me,in it's tracking and repeats,beings I wasn't very nice to it. Glass is stupid good for the jingle and the Illumination is killer and wayyyy beyond daylight bright. Elevation/windage both lock and elevation gets a second scoop of "nice!",with a mechanical zero stop,which is rather robust. Size/weight/features and zoom range,make it beg to be applied in a Utility role,which it sounds like is on your menu. FFP being a given.

Might could rate a thunk...................
Yes, I realize the Bushnell 10x still proudly sports a mullet, but it's in the hand and will do for now. Hey, thanks for the tip on the Athlon, I shall cruise the intrynet with passion to gain more beta on it. What do you think of Rex's stuff on YouTube as far as beta?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Oh a guy could do wayyyyyyyy worse than said Bushie 10x and some times it might be better to not know.(grin)

Rex? Bless his heart for trying! I'm sure he's good people and will leave it at that...................

ridgeline

Mar 22, 2009
australia
Good to hear the positive report on the Helos 2-12x, just checked availability here and I'll have to wait until late august early sept' to score one... Backorders are a bitch.

Apr 3, 2010
Shaen got to work fast on this puppy. Barrel installed and wanted to see what a good bedding job looked like so had him do that too. Its on the way here now. I also like the fact that he ships in cartons like this. Just good attn to detail. Guess we'll see if this thing shoots. As long as he remembers to put my bolt in the box.....

18" looks stubby but the UL7 will take it to 24 quiet inches.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
That looks great.
Definitely will be a sweet setup.

Anxious to hear the report when it all comes together

Apr 3, 2010
Shaen did a fine job of fixing the inlet from a Stiller to ARC Nucleus. Really a clean job on that. I imagine the bedding will be perfect also but hasn't been out of stock yet. Taking a trip soon to Cheyenne for threading at TBAC. Very impressed initially with ARC Nucleus, MDT mags, Timney Hit is really feeling good, McMillan Classic always a classic. Need to get a scope ordered and get shooting.

Apr 3, 2010
That shifter kind of grows on a guy. And its 10% smaller than most door knobs!

Apr 3, 2010
I'm a little out of practice shooting this year but finally figured out this one likes bullets on the lands. The 95 vld is seated at 2.53 and the 95 Classic is at 2.41. Shot these 5 shot groups this am. Checked drops for vld at 300 and had a 3" group center of plate with a little wind. I'll probably limit this to larger game at around 400 yards so its doing just fine. Once the Lapua brass is fireformed, I'll tweak loads a bit perhaps. These were both fired using 25.0 grains of Varget. Wish I had used a Nucleus on my 6.5x47 sporter now too.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
What are you doing for glass? Any regerts? What would you different,on the next one?

I never could like Varget in anything..............