data-csrf="1711639223,9f617d1544b0bf736aab41e635959f98" 88 ELD m’s are legit… | As Real As It Gets

88 ELD m’s are legit…

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
….as a killing bullet. (Yeah yeah, preaching to the choir, I know.)

Shot a handful of coyotes in my yard last weekend with 88’s and liked what I saw so figured I should try them on something bigger. I’ve killed literally tons of deer and black bears with 75 Amax’s so knew basically what to expect but was curious about penetration with the 88’s and just how deep they’d dig spun that fast from a 223AI

So yesterday a buddy was up for a weekend hunt and to set up some whitetail cameras and we poked around some to see what was out and about.
When a fat 2 point stepped out of the alders at 175 yards on the nose it looked like a pretty good opportunity. Had about a 6” inch window to thread a bullet through that lined up with his shoulders so sent it on its way.
I’m pretty quick on a bolt gun, and the shooting is the fun part to me and I’m a big proponent on if they are still standing they get another one. But when the bolt slapped home he was already turning and then it was legs in the air.
Onside hit was just into the rear of the scapula, offside was centerpunched through the middle of the scapula and the bullet was caught just under the hide. That impressed me. Most of the jacket intact and a couple pieces of lead all in a clump.
Incidentally when a second two point stepped into the clear my buddy figured he wanted in on the fun so slapped that one with his 708AI with a 162 Amax.

Was fair brisk at a balmy -27*C and only 5km from the truck, but we managed to get it done.

Reactions: ridgeline

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Have pards visiting and 223 SALAMI 75 ELD's are fucking them up. Both are Guides and they thought they knew stuff.

Laughing!..............

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Added a brown phase black bear to the mix about 15 minutes ago as well.
Buddy shot a coyote with it this morning too. He is itching for his to show up in the mail this week…(grin)

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Dang! Good report.
I wasn’t thinking moose until I hit the pictures 🤣😳
lol, might have been by design even…(grin)

The bear was on the neighbors oat field and I figured we were way past the point of seeing bears so when my buddy said “uhhh, thats a bear” I was less than receptive to the notion until I looked myself.
Jumped the barbwire and kept a hay bale between us and the bear (kidding, it was an oat straw bale….(grin)) and put an 88 through both shoulders at 151 yards. Massive internal damage and both shoulders broken and an exit.
The video is rather cool as the bear goes straight down before the boom is over or you hear the bullet strike.
That bear couldn’t have died any faster if it had been struck by lightning.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Soooo.....you mention the video but don't post it? Tsk tsk....
I TRIED!
Buuuut it’s deer season and daylight is about 3 minutes out. Gimme a minute here lol.
Trust me, you want to see it.

Takes someone smarter than me to embed a video. Guessing it has to be a youtube upload…

Last edited:

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
88’s have accounted for a moose, a bear, and 5 coyotes so far this weekend.
7 heartbeats, 7 shots.

Not very fur friendly though, unless you shoot a coyote lengthwise, then the exits aren’t horrid. Broadside through ribs will leave a “permanent wound channel” (lol) of about 8”.

• Haha
Reactions: Rman

Rman

Jun 4, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Well done! And you have the right choir. One that won't call you a stunt shooter, and tell you 175 is just shooting and not hunting...
Spot on, and keep up the good work!
R.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Well done! And you have the right choir. One that won't call you a stunt shooter, and tell you 175 is just shooting and not hunting...
Spot on, and keep up the good work!
R.
Maybe I should bump the 223 on Whitetails thread over on the ‘Fire…. See if any heads explode…(grin)
Who knew it was so easy to upload a video to the ‘tube and embed. Wow.

Last edited:

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I'm impressed. I too need to finish ruining the OEM barrel in my Montana and get it 1-7'd!

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
Next project is to get a good pile of them and lvr them from 22br and 223 7 twists.

just kidding, 55gr sp for the splash. ;)

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Good stuff!

I'm rolling through your country and the metrics system rocks. I do believe i am getting 250 kms to the liter. Or maybe that's rods per hogshead. Anyway, Canada is beautiful, so you've got that going for you.

• Haha
Reactions: wolfman

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I might run one through shoulders tomorrow out of my Creed, just to see if it will hold up at that speed.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Good stuff!

I'm rolling through your country and the metrics system rocks. I do believe i am getting 250 kms to the liter. Or maybe that's rods per hogshead. Anyway, Canada is beautiful, so you've got that going for you.
WHAT?!?! Fuck man, if’n you need a place for the night, say the word when you are rolling through Fort St John.
Incidentally, 250 rods per hogshead sounds about right.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
I’m not really sure.
To be honest, due to timing when the first 7 twist showed up I took an educated guess on where it needed to be put 4 through it working up to pressure, backed off a bit and ran 5 through it. Those went into 0.3” so said fuck it and mass produced.
Drops at 800 and 1200 yards said those ones are running at 2740 fps at my elevation (2400-ish feet). I didn’t look at any other powders other than Lever and didn’t take time to moly as I was just wanting to put rounds downrange.
Once it warms up this winter I’ll mess with it some and see where it lands, but 2740 seemed like a good place to be based on how tidy the clusters were, for now.

Reactions: Hondo64d

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Thats for sure. And luckily enough, nobody uses Lever in my AO. Still only costs 39% of what a pound of ANYTHING else costs here, and at this rate of purchase I may never run out it…. (Grin)

If only 88’s s were the same…

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
So far, so good with 88gr ELD. Shot this sow this evening with one launched at about 2930fps. Sow was about 175 yards, and DRT. No exit and no autopsy. Big sow. Longer than the rifle and appeared to weigh every bit as much as I do. Muddy spot was POI.

John

Reactions: ridgeline