data-csrf="1713605732,71150eef85608139bf17f9f78e05372d" A long over due project.... | As Real As It Gets

A long over due project....

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Been needing a better way to use this small benchtop drill press.
Came up with most of the needed lumber from the scrap pile sans the 1/2” plywood. Had all the other hardware on hand.

Reactions: Al Nyhus

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
When I had my 24'x30' backyard shop built I sketched it out on a napkin and showed it to a couple buddies who farm and have several shops of varying size/application. I had an "L" shaped work-bench 18'x9' sketched out. They heavily poo-poo'd that idea and instead built me 3 4'x6' steel tables. 40" high, expanded metal shelf about half-way up, 1 1/4" square tube frame, 1/4" plate on top, and put them on very good locking casters.

I put a gun vice, bench grinder, polishing wheel, and 6" rotating vice on one. A Dillon 650, SL 900, and Amp annealer on another, a pair of Dillon 550's and a Forster Co-Ax on the 3rd.

While I'm capable of creating clutter on any/every flat space within 10Mi of my person, the tables are quicker to de-clutter than 18' of workbench and I can move them out of the way if I need floor-space for a bigger project like installing/removing the tracks on/off my ATV. Also, and perhaps more importantly, I have WAY more "edge space" on which to work which always seems to be at a premium. I never have to worry about a cleaning rod punching into drywall. I've got the rifle vice clamped onto the narrow end of one table and have 3 magnetic parts trays there as well and it only takes up about 18" of the 6' of table. If I'd done the L-shaped workbench, I'd have 4' of bench tied up by the vice and crap piled behind it I'd be continually looking for.

I guess what I'm getting at is that your mobile drill-press station is an excellent notion. Bits, an angle grinder, and a few clamps in the space below.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Horse, I remember seeing pictures of your Dillon “benches” and your shop. Looked awesome!

You speak of these things in the past tense, though. I hope all is well, and you’ve simply upgraded.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Horse,
Building a small shop is number 2 on my list of things to do after I retire after buying a boat. Having more room will allow me to accumulate more shit....🥴 I intend to set up a proper wood shop, it’ll make projects like this one a lot easier having the right tool for the job.

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
Horse, I remember seeing pictures of your Dillon “benches” and your shop. Looked awesome!

You speak of these things in the past tense, though. I hope all is well, and you’ve simply upgraded.
Shop, tables, and Dillons are still in the backyard as of 30Min ago or so, can't say now as I'm back in the house and looking the wrong direction. (grin)

I didn't explain well, if it seemed past-tense, it's only that I'm 12yrs in and am still glad I don't have a "workbench".

Gotta get out an de-clutter the tables again as I've got a Giraud ordered and I'm not sure where it's going yet and I want it where it belongs, not where it "fits" due to clutter. Need to de-clutter to figure out where it belongs.

Last edited:

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I didn't explain well, if it seemed past-tense, it's only that I'm 12yrs in and am still glad I don't have a "workbench".
After a more thorough re-read, it looks like I read more into it than I should. Seems much less "past tense" than my initial glance. Glad to hear all is well, bud.

By the looks of my garage, clutter is my true passion. There are precious few things I seem to be better at than collecting a wide assortment of items on horizontal surfaces. If clutter were an Olympic sport, I'd be on a Wheaties box.