data-csrf="1714063736,38bf424b6f2dcc05c48a23006cc0fd76" ACOG's? | As Real As It Gets

ACOG's?

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
Found this while searching the innerwebs for ACOG stuff...

http://www.law-guns.com/usedeotech553militarystdcr123darkearth.aspx

Used (very used) Eotech 553 w/NVG button ;) for $325.

I think I paid a hair more for my used one, sans nvg button, but it was in pristine condition and had really nice lens covers.

Still... might be a deal?

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
They got dials.

We ran the Eotechs while training at TigerSwan. Really like them for that type of shooting.

Thinking that just a bit of magnification would be nice too.

TWR

Feb 27, 2009
Oklahoma
I twisted off and bought a TA33G-H. It's a 3x compact version with the horseshoe dot reticle. While FOV ain't great, it doesn't seem to hurt my shooting up close. The bright green reticle is easy to place on target. The 400 meter crosshair matches up to my 77 gr load at 400 yards.

Don't laugh it's mounted on a Colt chrome lined pencil barrel that shoots 1.5" groups at 100, the plate is 8" so that holds true to 1.5 MOA at 400 yards. I was also shooting off the hood of my truck.

Here's the reticle less the silhouette outline.

I changed the mount to a LaRue that sits a little lower than the stock mount and it now weighs a little over 7 oz.
Glass is clear, it's built sturdy enough, it's parallex free, the dot is quick on target and its good 24 hours a day without batteries.

Here's a pretty good overview of just 5.56 models.
http://www.militarywarfighter.com/Trijicon_ACOG_Comparison_and_FAQ_s/386.htm

The thing to watch out for is eye relief, this one is 1.9" but is much better than the First model I tried years ago.

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
That is a decent website for comparison. Thanks!

Now that I have a better idea of the different models, I'll watch the various classifieds for a deal to come along.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Was fucking around the other day with the 3-9x Leupie AR Optic with illuminated TMR mil scale reticle(crosshair center only,gets lit) and could slum it,in said application. Haven't beat the fuck outta one and would be curious to do so.

Noone hates BDC's more than I,but a mil/mil scale ain't horrid and it has 55+ MOA of erector "up" in .1 Mil increments. It's SFP,which ain't even a little deal to me. The erector dial is both a predetermined BDC and has .1 Mil value denotations...fuck the BDC portion of the equation.

A 6x42 wearing the TMR reticle,M1 ele erector in either .25MOA or .1Mil scale and center illumination,would horn me right the fuck up and steal the show........

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
I've found acogs to be good for there intended purpose shooting man sized targets, hard to beat for quick shooing from close to intermediate ranges. Found it a little lack lustre trying to shoot gophers out around the 200 yard mark. Never hunted coyotes with one but I figure it would probably shine there. I'm runing a eotec 512 on my keltec coyote gun it's fast I like it.

TWR

Feb 27, 2009
Oklahoma
Coyotes is my intended use for this one. It should work just fine and the BAC is a plus for runners.

I used eo-thingies and aimpoints for several years. While they shine in the timber, they lack out past 150 yards. Of course if I could see a solid circle instead of a fuzzy dot due to a slight astigmatism, I might have a better view on them.

Still have a couple of M1's and a few CDS dials but the ACOG just had to be tried and I like it for its intended role.

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
I fought with the 4 power yellow chevron model ACOG, whatever that was, for about six months. My M203 would shoot about 2 1/2 inches at 200M with it. I really liked it, and I'm still here to type about it.

The EOTech is a great sight. Watched a pard doink a Taliban at about 550 with a non magnified 1MOA center dot model.

I've personally recovered a M4 that was bent nearly in half from an IED, the furniture shredded, and the EOTech though it looked like it got ran over on the freeway, fired right up and worked fine. We actually mounted it on another rifle and sighted it in.

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
I'm pretty sure you will like the Acog for your chosen application. I know there are other guys on here that could probably tell you at length the benifits of this sight as I'm sure they have used them over seas.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
For straight up Killing Critters,what glass would be your first pitch on a Krunchenticker.

I'm still patiently waiting for the rebirth of the 6x MK4 in M1 this time...................

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
For killing taliwackers I'll go with a EOTech again, if I do go for the close out this summer. Been told I'm going, been told I'm staying.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I was thinking 4-legged Critters,but I do like your style.(grin)

Be safe,wherever you are.

I'm gonna go buy Pappy dinner and see what he was reading about today..............

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
I really like aimpoints and eotechs for running dogs on a call, but agree fuck all wrong with a fx3 6 sporting m1s that's the flavour I prefer on my big game rifle.

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
No drama. They are both great. I'm not personally a fan of the Aimpoint. Though one of my best friends that I fought along side, loves them. I'll take EOTech, Acog then Aimpoit in that order. I get it, that others have their different order and I'm good with that.

TWR

Feb 27, 2009
Oklahoma
I'm also trying a VX6 1-6 w/Firedot duplex. It's a 30mm tube with 20 MOA per revolution and is CDS capable but they just came out with a solution for a zero stop. Waiting on the parts to install the zero stop.

The reticle is a little thick but the dot is daylight bright and its as close to a red dot that a scope can get. Crank it up and the glass is clear, it gathers light well and also should work well for coyotes near or far.

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
Rogue said:
For killing taliwackers I'll go with a EOTech again, if I do go for the close out this summer. Been told I'm going, been told I'm staying.
There's been an amazing number of FOBs shutdown the past 6 months. I think we're good for awhile here in Jbad, for reasons I'll not share here.

But if you get a choice, this would not be a bad one. Just be psyched up for CRAM announcements, which come a bit too often. ;)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Firedot is much better in the flesh,than I had anticipated.

As a rule illuminated reticles are far too proud for my tastes,but that Dog will Hunt..............

TWR

Feb 27, 2009
Oklahoma
I concur, I never saw the need for an illuminated reticle, even hunting coyotes at night but this one is done well.

Now I just gotta get healed up so I can hunt. Went to a sports doc this morning and he says he'll have me running again soon. Pun intended.

Scorpion

Oct 7, 2008
Western PA
Rogue said:
Ever gun an Aimpoint Micro for work or play?

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
I've played with the Micro, but not owned one. The issue Aimpoint is the M68, whichever civilian model it is. Which is what my opinions are really based on. The Aimpoints' have incredible battery life and some of my pards really love em. I think their dots are too large for precision and too small for really fast work. The issue ones go down at a rate, way to much for me. Might be the lowest bidder model though.

But plenty of folks still dig em.

erickg

Aug 14, 2011
Stick,
this thread is almost 3 years old now, but you spoke fairly well of the illuminated Mark AR at the time, Leupold has a $50 rebate on these currently, was wondering if with the advent of the illuminati this scope is no longer worth consideration?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Reupold's illuminated reticle is solid,but everything else surrounding it,sucks.

The Illuminatti BLOWS it away,in all regards.....................