data-csrf="1714317924,8933bed0dd360c4373666cc5045e013f" Another .243 AI build | As Real As It Gets

Another .243 AI build

remsen

Dec 9, 2007
Danville, CA
I just picked up a Rem 700 donor that I'm going to use to build a 243 AI. I've got plenty of 7mm rifles built light for deer and elk hunting, but I wanted to do something more geared towards antelope and general longer range non-hunting shooting.

Since my antelope hunting is a lot lower impact than the other big game hunting I do, I don't mind getting a bit of a heavier rifle with this build. So I'm thinking of a McM A5 (a stock I've always wanted) with a heavier Bartlein at 22". Not sure of the bottom metal yet or the other details, but I want this to be a shooter, not a looker.

This will be my first punched rifle as well, so any tips on the build would be appreciated.

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
Buy lots of 105s your going to need them. My 243ai has a number 7 contour at 24 inches, it's pretty heavy. A rem varmint contour at 22-24 would make a nice carrying rifle. Although for myself personally any heavy guns I build from here on out will wear a MTU contour I think. If you can find seekins bottom metal that would be my first choice second would be stiller.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Montucky.

Rebarreled 1-8" in a contour/length dupe,to kiss a mag fed 105.

You'll shoot it more than everything else,bolted together.......................

Pat85

Mar 8, 2015
Pa.
This rig weighs in at 15 1/2 lbs. A-5 stock, Douglas #7 contour, Sako IV action. Should be able to shave some weight off with a 700 SA.

Not some thing I would want to chase speed goats with.

remsen

Dec 9, 2007
Danville, CA
Oatmealsavage82 said:
Buy lots of 105s your going to need them. My 243ai has a number 7 contour at 24 inches, it's pretty heavy. A rem varmint contour at 22-24 would make a nice carrying rifle. Although for myself personally any heavy guns I build from here on out will wear a MTU contour I think. If you can find seekins bottom metal that would be my first choice second would be stiller.
Thanks, that helps point me in a more concise direction. I wasn't sure on the contour, but I'll now put MTU on the short list.

remsen

Dec 9, 2007
Danville, CA
Big Stick said:
Montucky.

You'll shoot it more than everything else,bolted together.......................
I have to admit that while I sit in the pews and follow the teachings of Stick, I don't always have a complete understanding of the lingo. Are you saying that I should shitcan the existing donor and go with a Montucky instead, built to the specs you listed?

remsen

Dec 9, 2007
Danville, CA
Pat85 said:
This rig weighs in at 15 1/2 lbs. A-5 stock, Douglas #7 contour, Sako IV action. Should be able to shave some weight off with a 700 SA.

Not some thing I would want to chase speed goats with.
Very nice. Way more barrel than I was thinking, and more scope as well, but I like the stock...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
remsen said:
Big Stick said:
Montucky.

I have to admit that while I sit in the pews and follow the teachings of Stick, I don't always have a complete understanding of the lingo. Are you saying that I should shitcan the existing donor and go with a Montucky instead, built to the specs you listed?
It's far and away the most rifle,for the least money and such things is tough not to like. In OEM Guise whistlin' 90 Skinners(beings they are 10"),would be a quick/easy way to poke a toe in the water and it'll slap around the 1000yd line easily.

6x Fixed Fucker MQ,being a given.............

Pat85

Mar 8, 2015
Pa.
This 6.5 Creedmoor of mine sits in an A3 sporter stock. The contour is a Douglas #5. This setup weighs in at 10 lbs.

This one I don't mind lugging around. When I get back out west to chase speed goats I'am taking this one.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Baby Montucky in 6.5 Creed,has been stirring up some chit-chat in these parts.

I'd prefer it in 6mm..............

remsen

Dec 9, 2007
Danville, CA
As much as my inclination is to fuck things up/complicate matters, I have learned enough here to know when to not screw up the easiest things. A 6x Fixed Fucker MQ is on order.

teal

Dec 16, 2007
Missing, presumed dead.....
remsen said:
Big Stick said:
Montucky.

I've always been a Ruger guy that also shot Rem and Winchester. Never really phucked a Mauser/Sako/Tikka/Savage (save M1899).

Once I got my mits on a Montana - can't imagine building off anything else.

I need to get funds saved for a 223AI and I'd love something 7WSM ish too - tho I have a 7-08 and doubt I'll be wanting with it.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Ruger has long done 243Win's right,in regards to twist,throat and COAL.

A Boat Paddle squirting 105's and wearing an MQ,will open alotta eyes.............