data-csrf="1711706588,ebf89c8266c31910033e580f28a38ddf" Another rain gear thread | As Real As It Gets

Another rain gear thread

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
I’ve a Columbia omnitech lightweight rain jacket that I’ve used for 3-4 years and and has worked well on keeping me moderately dry
Bought another omnitech and it sucks
Rain goes straight thru it so basically just a windbreaker
What are you guys using that works ?
I’m talking a lightweight shell, not a heavy coat
Oh yea, it has to fit me which ain’t no easy task .........grin
4x at a minimum

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Soaked to my cunt today,in no time at all. Simm's waders,FrogTogg top,100mph winds and who knows how much fucking rain.

Have never come close to being blown over in a wind storm,while wading,until this morning.....................(grin)

Last edited:

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
I have gone through 3 omni heats ... 2 of em worked pretty good ... the other shit me soggy in 30 seconds and went trash bound in a few days. I'm done with columbia stuff including their non water proof boots.

I ended buying another one from REI (their brand) and so far after a few not so dry evenings out it has done awesome.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I've had good luck with an Under Armor jacket recently, and REI in the past. A couple things I look for are laminated construction and minimal but waterproof zippers. It sucks not having pockets, but they let water in. The laminated material is important. I like the quieter fabric exterior of the old style jackets but it soaks up water, chills you down, and often wicks water into your clothes around the collar and wrists. The new laminated material has some stretch as well, which is needed if you're trying to do something. Velcro wrist closures are almost mandatory, but Velcro sucks and sometimes the stitching lets water in. I'm not sure you can get away from it.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
As you asked about shells, instead of heavy (which I took to mean impermeable).... I hate to admit it, but Kuiu has that shit figured out pretty good. I use whatever used to be their top of the line shit, Yukon maybe(?) in a jacket and pant and haven't had a soak through yet in some serious weather hunting sheep. Got a bit wet one year when the rain was coming in around my face with the hood up and soaked the front of my shirt, but it were pretty near sideways with 40 mph+ wind so I couldn't bitch too loud. And even if I did bitch too loud nobody coulda heard me over the wind anyway....(grin)
I did have a problem with the pants when the zipper fucked up hunting bears one spring, but sent that pair to the warranty depot and they sent a fresh new pair a couple days later. And that pair was 5 years in I think at that point anyway. Still running my original jacket, zero issues.

Sizing however, I dunno about that. I don't wear a jacket or pants that has an "X" in the sizing....

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Free ride today,as it didn't rain multiple inches this morning,nor blow 100.(grin)

I've just accepted the fact that nothing works here and I'm going to get wet,as there is no way around it...................

ktnlocksmith

Apr 30, 2019
I picked up a mountain hardwear lightweight rainshell at Lee’s Clothing in Petersburg a couple years ago that I’ve been really impressed with. I can’t find a model name on it to reference. It has a mesh liner, no pit zips and was right around 2 bills. I’m an XL all day.

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
You dudes do host a special kind of raining its ass off up that direction ... not sure why a rain gear company wouldnt design something to work and market it via video from there.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Guys at work never believe it,so I just shrug and laugh.

Haven't forgot about you or glass,but gotta try a new trick,hoping the water dropped enough to make it happen. Early this morning,has gotta be a better bet than tomorrow's volume..................(grin)

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Weather has been pretty crazy this winter
More so than usual
The end of the week is looking better than it has in a while
If the forecast is true it will be shrimp and crab trapping time
Gonna try for some black cod also if I can haul enough line