data-csrf="1711633309,de1fbb2734baf717418a7640b368c8e2" AR Sights, Handguards, Magazines and Diet | As Real As It Gets

AR Sights, Handguards, Magazines and Diet

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
I finally got around to assembling the 2 kits I've had in the house for 5 years now...Aero lowers, one PSA SS Mid 16" Freedom kit, one PSA 18" Mid chrome-lined upper with MOE lower kit. These won't have much of a "field" purpose in these parts, so more for utility and fun.

For sights, I was thinking some sort of compact optic on the 16" and a scope on the 18". I know very little about the former and have read enough here to consider the SWFA 1-4 a candidate for the latter. Other alternatives? We're not going to war here, so cost is a consideration.

They wear the plastic AR handguard that comes with the cheapo PSA kits. Is there a better (cheap) option? No plans for accessories/lights/handles etc, just something to grab. I've not looked that area over fully but I presume that the "free floaters" cantilever from the barrel thread area whereas these seem to clomp around the gas block. Maybe these are fine for now, but they're bulky and slippery.

Diet: Is this a CCI Small Rifle, Leverevolution, and 75HPBT Hornady show? Brass preferences? Have seen various once-fired options from Top Brass, and once heard that Remington was worthwhile and saw some once-fired quantities of that available also.

Magazines...don't know where to start. I presume any red-blooded American needs some with 20-30 capacity, but can see some utility in something with lesser footprint, closer to flush with the bottom of the magwell. Ideas? Presuming that the bullet choice may stipulate some OAL considerations.

Merry Christmas, and as always, thanks. Feels like I get way more from this forum than I give back.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Top brass is trash
At least what I got was
Bought a bunch from midway and got it in a couple months ago
About 20 % wouldn’t let primers seat due to crappy job removing crimp
I mailed them all back to midway

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I’ve had the nub that sticks out for the detent set screw cause interference. Some combos have it fall in one of the cutouts and work.
The pic is of a MI guard, almost the same internal dimensions as the Matrix. It wouldn’t clear if it didn’t fall in a cutout.

I usually have a few choices around so can pick and choose what fits.

For sure a consideration though, good you pointed it out.

Attachments

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
Regarding scope mounts and height...for FF and upper like the above, two rings like shown OK, or better to use forward mount?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've a penchant for ruggedly reliable simplistic wares,but enjoy watching others fawn DooDad Dumbfuckery......................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I field 'em,in both Alloy and Steel,less a failure on Krunchentickers.

That being said,paint a picture of both the platform and it's application,along with the Optic you are musing..................

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
First rig is PSA 18" midlength upper with the FN chrome lined barrel, Aero lower, can't remember the furniture...maybe MOE. Glass would be along the lines of your illuminati. This is the "scoped AR" and will be fed 75gr BTHPs and expected to shoot with relative precision. Coyote rifle

Second rig would be the "plink AR": PSA 16" midlength SS, PSA freedom furniture, Aero lower. Am thinking some sort of red dot for this one, but am not ruling out a scope. Marauding cat rifle and plinker, diet will be whatever I can load up cheaply for the kids.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'd happily go SWFA Extry Highs there and Illuminatti both. Said glass has 60+ Mil's of erector and though one can certainly pad same with 'Horn rings,it's not a requisite. That's what I'd roll on both,with them pinned to 4x in order to jive the erector.

No matter who,what,when or where,I GOTTA have a FF tube. The RMR 69's are a good buy and don't aspook me.

Kids LOVE Illumination and I savvy the appeal.................(grin)

pavementends

Dec 9, 2007
Mississippi
Stick, have you worked with the RMR 69's yet? Only got out once and my 9 twist bolt gun which lives 69 Mk's and Varget was not happy. Hope to get out tomorrow with some Tac and see if they settle in.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The RMR is tough to distinguish from a 69 SMK. Which is which?!?(grin)

Smooched,guessed at charge weight(because I don't shoot 69's in anything) and gunned a hasty trio in 22BR,which was the first spout I tried them in.

They might very well could be the most,for least,as Krunchenticker BC's go..................