data-csrf="1713561063,93847cd6cd81078147b1bc2a6a11570b" ATV recommendation | As Real As It Gets

ATV recommendation

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
What do you guys like for a new ATV these days? Looking for something no less than 400 cc

Uses would be pulling a small buggy full of firewood / gravel, hauling game, and my ass up the mountain with another rider at times.

No racing or obstacle climbing needed lol thank you all, I appreciate it.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Their are a lot of good bikes out there, and I did a lot of looking before buying. We bought a pair of Can-Am Outlander L models. I think they dropped the “L” designation, now, but they still offer the same machine with the 570cc engine and power steering. It has a lot of features (twin-cylinder engine, fuel injection, power steering, independent rear suspension, 4x4 with auto diff-lock, alloy wheels, hydraulic disc brakes) for a good chunk less than less than $7k. I don’t think we could have found a better machine for the money, and we’ve been very happy with them.

Last edited:

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
Thank you Dan, your feedback mirrors others with the same experience with Can Am especially for the price. I appreciate it

Can Am
Honda
Yamaha

Seem to be the ones that guys recommend where I've asked lately, but like you said there is more

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I have several friends with Hondas, and some of their 'wheelers are getting long in the tooth. They seem to run forever. I originally went looking for Hondas, but their pricing turned me off. I had to spend $10k, or more to get independent rear suspension and disc brakes. Even their eight thousand dollar bikes had drum brakes on them. Seriously?

I really like Yamaha, but in 2016, all they offered were 700cc engines. The various models differed on levels of trim (wheels, brakes, suspension and minor drive train differences). I didn't think my wife would want a 700, and I didn't want to buy an expensive model just to get hydraulic brakes versus cable controls. It looks like they brought the 450cc engine back, again, which would have been a nice option when I was in the market.

A couple friends have older Kawasakis, and they think highly of them. But, again, in 2016 they only offered a 750cc model. Too big for my wife.

Enough friends bashed the Polaris machines, that I really didn't even consider them, to be honest. My wife's company had a couple of Polaris "work" machines for a while (they mostly got used for recreation, though), and they always seemed to be sidelined with one issue or another.

I looked at both Arctic Cat and Suzuki, but I didn't see enough differences to justify their higher prices. I would love to have the taller ground clearance of the Arctic Cat, but I didn't like the rest of the bike enough to pay more and go that route.

To be fair, there are some things about the Can-Am that I don't like. During break-in, the CVT ran pretty hot, and you could feel it on your left leg. There was also a considerable belt whine noise that was annoying at higher speeds. Both of these issues have gotten better, after a couple hundred miles, or maybe I'm not noticing it as much? The CVT definitely runs cooler than it used to, though.

Maintenance on the Can-Am is a bit of a chore. Oil changes take some time, because you have to remove a fair amount of the plastic to get access to the oil filter. There are a lot of grease fittings on the Can-Am, as well. Getting to all of them takes some ingenuity and long arms.

However, the ride on the Can-Am is really nice, and the power steering is worth every penny. The throttle response and power of the twin cylinder engine is great, and it starts like a champ in the winter (I use it, on occasion to plow the driveway). I use low gear most of the time, on the trails (less than 25mph), and the machine is really smooth and easy to drive. My kids can handle them. In high gear, they turn into pure fun, and they'll easily go over 50mph on our Alaskan gravel beaches.

I am continually impressed at how much "stuff" the bike will go through. The automatic differential lock works like a champ! I've taken it though seat-height water, wheel-burying mud, long uphill climbs, steep descents (the engine braking is amazing), and just about everything else you can think of. Yes, I've gotten it stuck, more than once, but it took a lot more doing than I ever thought it would.

Good luck on your quest to find a new machine!

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
Thanks again Dan, helped me out bigtime. Also agree that the Yamaha 450cc being back in the lineup is another strong contender. I think that size goes by Kodiak now.

Apr 3, 2010
We bought a Rubicon and like it a lot for this. Just had 2 on it, plus a helluva lot of elk meat front and back. My 2008 Honda Rancher is still going strong as well.

That said, we rode one of those Canam rigs with the extra length on them. Very nice ride and liked it a lot. Put maybe 40 miles on it one day riding trails in western CO, super comfortable.