data-csrf="1711654048,341348653e779e1b06c5192e8384e34e" Axe for driving wedges? | As Real As It Gets

Axe for driving wedges?

okbow87

Jan 2, 2013
OKC, OK
Was wondering if some of you guys with logging experience could lead a guy to water on what type of axe head and handle length you guys carried for driving wedges and limbing? Thanks!

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I've got a council tool forest service axe I use for that and it works well. I've never owed a big enough GB for the job.

Curious to hear Stick's take on it as well

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The 4lb Council Velvi-cut is the best thing going now,but ships with the wrong handle.

A 28" rafting handle is tough to beat all around.

If trying to leave a pair/trio of Silvey's and it's pump behind,I'd go 5lb GB Stroax and 28" rafting handle,but I drove the 4lb GB version daily. They are tough to find,but have no equal.

12" K&H's for all of it................

Reactions: Rman

Rman

Jun 4, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Not sure what you're into for wood, but if bigger, and whacking at wedges is a prolonged event, you'll find the 3.5 pound head light, and the 26" handle short. The 4 pounder is better, but that 2" (that's what she said) on the handle makes a huge difference.
Bailey's is good to go, with decent prices and good customer service.
The Dayton's mentioned are Council axes. They work good, with a big flat back... in case it's windy out.

rafting axe – Council Tool

R.

Last edited:

okbow87

Jan 2, 2013
OKC, OK
Nothing crazy. My parents are nearing 70 and slowing down significantly. They heat entirely with wood. Looking at falling somewhere between 15-20 oak trees a year for them in the 18"-24" range. I have cut with my dad my entire life, but I also know there are better ways to do things than the way we have always done it.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Okbow87,

Are you gonna use the axe to drive felling wedges or spitting wedges once the logs are bucked up to firewood length pieces? Just making sure we are on the same page

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Sounded like for falling,to me.

Hardwoods hurt alotta folks and I tried real hard never to stick wedges in them,as I loved to drive them instead...........

okbow87

Jan 2, 2013
OKC, OK
Felling wedges.

We have a hydraulic splitter and splitting mauls and steel wedges for that part. Most of the trees can be dropped in any direction, so most of the time I'd just be using the wedges to rescue a pinched bar or the occasional tree I need to fall in a certain direction.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
K&H's will be your friend,for actually staying in the back cut. There's been alotta stitches and teeth knocked out,with folks trying to save a few bucks on wedges...............

okbow87

Jan 2, 2013
OKC, OK
Been having trouble find any in stock. Came up with a 4lb council Dayton head on a 28" straight hickory handle a couple days ago. Still waiting on delivery.

Rman

Jun 4, 2008
Calgary, Canada
The same for me, in a 5 pounder, just arrived last week. Ordered it in May!
The 4 pounder is nice, and will drive well with the 28 handle. Straight handle?
Let us know what you think, when you get it, and take it for spin.
R.