data-csrf="1714136586,343cddec6b5f616d1f6e97ae31557a31" Bent barrels | As Real As It Gets

Bent barrels

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
Thought you guys might like this one guy put a fair wow in a Browning xbolt barrel but instead of a new pipe I figured I'd try to straighten it with the trick from the real gunsmith. Worked like a hot damn.
IMG_20201124_130413.jpg
IMG_20201124_130606.jpg

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
How did he bend it?

Years back I tried to bend a shot out sporter weight barrel, and could not. I went as far as supporting both ends of the tube and standing/jumping on the middle. Those concentric rings never changed, but I did almost hurt myself.

I pretty much came to the conclusion that it had to be a pretty major event to bend a rifle barrel. Something like an atv accident, or similar.

Last edited:

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I saw a guy bend the barrel on an old single shot shotgun when he had it in gun racks on his ATV.

He was zipping along in the woods and forgot about the barrel sticking out past the side of his ATV...that is until he hit a tree with the barrel...

It was bent quite a bit, but he eventually got it straightened out enough to use...I don't know how that would work with a rifle though...

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
My grandpa used to be a warden. He said he never passed up a gun that someone dropped while running away without bending it in the fork of a tree.

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
Yeah that was the video. When I get home next week I am going to shoot it and will report back with the findings. It was easy to bend the weak link for me was that all I had was a poplar log. A good piece of fir or birch would have helped/sped up the process I think.

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
Somewhere out there, there is a video of Savage employees bending barrels on the line. It was pretty interesting seeing that they used the naked eye to determine "straightness" of the barrel.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
A pair of lead v-blocks and a stout arbor press as a thumper are the usual method rather than beating them against a log. The eyeballs are definitely in play, though. It's very easy to see any lack of concentricity. Much like peep sights work better than expected even with relatively gigantic holes to "peep" through.

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
When you look down the bore of a barrel you will see a shadow, if it is straight the shadow will be uniform, if it's even a few thou out it's very apparent in the shadow.

JIMMY 808

Oct 10, 2011
Bent shotgun barrels for POI regulation done on purpose will shoot them selfs straight after a while.