data-csrf="1711712124,9e672315ef4369e404d709fa52020c21" Best option for a factory 7-08? | As Real As It Gets

Best option for a factory 7-08?

Supper

Jun 2, 2008
WY/UT
Long story short, I'm starting over with guns and drew 6 hunting tags this year from antelope to elk so looking for a do-all gun.

What's the best option on the market right now for a factory chambered 7mm-08? It's either going to be that or a 300 WSM for ease of use until I can start acquiring reloading equipment again.

Kimber still the reigning champ for the most for least?

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
The Barrett Fieldcraft would have been a winner, but they are hard to come by these days, especially in 7mm-08.

I keep looking at the Christensen Mesa. They are light/trim, have a great trigger, reported to shoot well, and they come chambered in 7mm-08.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I would go tikka over christianson, but I haven't looked at them for a while.

I set up a tikka 6.5 creedmoor for a guy getting into hunting, and it was a very low drama deal. Screw the rings on, screw to the scope to the rings and shoot 3/4" groups with factory ammo.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Seems to be plenty of good ones out there now.

Id find one that feels rightin your hands and roll with it.

The Fieldcrafts were the best rifle made, in terms of design and components in my opinion. That said, I could not stand the feel of that stock.

Tikkas and Kimbers have been solid for me, and both fit me well, but that’s all personal.

Ive only handled one Mesa, and not for long, but it seemed to feel ok.

Not cool here, but I still like the older BDLs and Mtn Rifles, if blued/walnut doesn’t bother you too much.

Supper

Jun 2, 2008
WY/UT
That might just be the ticket if it doesn't sell soon. Was also eyeing the Ruger American mainly because it has a 1:85.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
May be wrong, but that Tikka should spin any factory ammo out there. I’ve seen factory Remingtons spin 180s, although it may not be optimal.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
If someone wanted a Fieldcraft bad enough, there's a "cheap" 22-250 on GB that could be rebarreled.
Putting a 700 together from parts might be another great option. The Remage barrel from NSS is a lot of performance for the money.
Of course neither are factory....

Last edited:

Supper

Jun 2, 2008
WY/UT
I still have a SS 700 SA sitting in the safe on deck for a build, but unfortunately I sold all the other components at the same time that I sold the guns. I haven't started digging around to see if anywhere has stocks or barrels ready to ship, or even if a gunsmith could get it spun up for me by hunting season without paying through the nose or sacrificing on quality work.

Thus the search for a factory offering that isn't dog shit to get through until I decide to start building to suit my needs again. Which will be either 22 Creed or 6mm Dasher.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Both chamberings available right now from NSS, no gunsmith required. Red Hawk Rifles usually has Grayboe and McMillan in stock.
Not trying to spoil your plan, but a lot has changed in a few years. Months of waiting on parts and months of gunsmith lies are now optional.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage

In case you didn't see it.