data-csrf="1711615678,61b333b2b295638a51657d419d214467" Better Bankie | As Real As It Gets

Better Bankie

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Thought I would throw a post up here about a new company, Further Faster Designs. They have a new synthetic quilt that looks to me like it will be really versatile and useful for a lot of stuff I do.

https://furtherfasterdesigns.com/products/super-b-2

I know Gerry by reputation only, but what I know is that he is the real deal (+P :) ). So, I bought one as soon as I saw the post on the campfire. Mine is the 2.5 oz version, no experience with the 3.6 oz version but I'll probably have one before long. I will say, this is about the most warm you can get for under 1lb. I think it is pretty much going to live in my pack in the fall and in my snowmachine's trapper box in the winter, assuming I can get it away from the kid.

20191201_111510.jpg

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
And I thought this thread was going to be about fishing.

Looks like a good blanket. Like the dwr and synthetic fill. Weight seems good. I generally carry a tarp and bivy in my pack, and then if it’s cold my 40 deg bag(2.5#). Would be nice to step down a pound+ and be more compact.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I have a bad habit of not carrying anything, but have learned the hard way that lighter isn't always better. I think I can talk myself into actually having this with me, partially because it isn't "just" emergency gear.

What do you use for a tarp and a bivy? My bivy is over 1lb, and I use it pretty rarely. Awful nice to have when you need it though.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Nice, was hoping to get a few reviews. I am going to get one of each weight. Can see them being really nice for camping out in the front of the Almar and alpine.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I had 40" of rain last R&R........................
That was a good stretch there. Made me totally rethink rain gear and “comfortable”.

Got to the point where I would bust up the ridge in a sacrificial cotton hoodie and then put on dry layers and pvc up top to extend calling times. Still soaked by the time I got back to the truck but at least I wasn’t soaked all day.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I get home tomorrow,what's the weather doing?

I'll be Rain Dancing and crossing fingers.........................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
That was a good stretch there. Made me totally rethink rain gear and “comfortable”.

Got to the point where I would bust up the ridge in a sacrificial cotton hoodie and then put on dry layers and pvc up top to extend calling times. Still soaked by the time I got back to the truck but at least I wasn’t soaked all day.

Easily THE best stretch of Wind/Rain I've seen in 25yrs of living it.

Fairly impressive.

I just plan on being wet and layer for warmth/activity,because there is NO way around it...................

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I have a bad habit of not carrying anything, but have learned the hard way that lighter isn't always better. I think I can talk myself into actually having this with me, partially because it isn't "just" emergency gear.

What do you use for a tarp and a bivy? My bivy is over 1lb, and I use it pretty rarely. Awful nice to have when you need it though.
I run a TI goat ptarmigan bivy, not sure they still make it, and a cuben fiber tarp from some small outfit I don’t recall. It’s all less than a few pounds for the kit and each piece the size of a 16oz beer can or smaller.
I tend to roll setup to survive the night should I end up injured or otherwise unable to get a fire. Might not be real comfortable, but survivable. And in mild weather I can stay out rather than trek back to camp if I choose.
I keep my day pack around 20#. At that weight it’s not a hindrance and I can easily add an elk quarter for the trek back after a kill.
I use a stone glacier solo as a pack. The pack is an important consideration. Needs to be around 5# and able to carry 100# or so. Many packs that can haul weight are 7#+. I can carry my pack loaded with my sleeping gear and be less than many packs are empty.
Lots of good pack options, Kuiu, Exo, stone glacier, Sitka, to name a few. All around $600.

I found my tarp. Its Mt Laural designs. Pretty sure mines the Patrol tarp. They also make a lightweight bivy. Turns out they also make a very similar quilt at a very similar price point.

Last edited:

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I should grab one of those tarps. I usually have a cheap nylon one or a regular poly tarp, but I tend to ruin them every season. A $200 tarp sort of seems wrong. :)

I'm with you on the SG pack. Have been running the Terminus for a while. I picked up a used Sky 7400 and I'm looking forward to putting that to use.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Cutting ounces tends to get expensive. But you just bought a $150 blanket so a $200 tarp should fit right in.
They aren’t for thrashing on though. They aren’t what you’d call durable. If you trash tarps then you may want to just buy a roll of house wrap and cut you off a new piece every trip.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Hmmmm... I do have a couple spare rolls of tyvek.

Joel, you should get the 3.6 first, and if you don't like it I'll buy it from you:)

Be careful looking up in that sort of rain boys - you could drown. Safety first.

Dec 12, 2019
Hi I’m Joe, 1/2 of Further Faster Designs. I’d like to be active here not only to answer questions about our stuff as well as learn from the hunting community here. Thanks for having me.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Hi...I'm the guy that got 4" of rain in the last 3 days and the ground is wet,the brush is wet and so is everything else.

NONE of that is on you,but if you build wears to contend same,you WILL get ahead. In current guise,your shit sucks(in fairness).

FYI.............

Dec 12, 2019
Hi...I'm the guy that got 4" of rain in the last 3 days and the ground is wet,the brush is wet and so is everything else.

NONE of that is on you,but if you build wears to contend same,you WILL get ahead. In current guise,your shit sucks(in fairness).

FYI.............
Do you have a Super B? Did it wet out?

Our shit is rad (in fairness) but cannot be done waterproof. Managing moisture is paramount, especially so when you get 4” over three days. If we built the Super B waterproof, it would essentially be a vapor barrier, and you’d get wet even when it isn’t raining. The DWR shell is pretty damn water RESISTANT, but not waterproof and we don’t claim to be. The insulation we use was chosen because of its performance when wet.
All that being said, if you don’t currently own a Super B you’re assuming poor performance in the rain. We have been surprised at just how well it’s performed under rainy conditions. But if you’re getting inches a day, perhaps your gear selection is part of your wetted out hunts?

edited because I spell like a 5 year old.

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
It's ordered and will of course wet out...but $185 is cheap entertainment. You might could wanna look at your shipping rates too.

Points awarded,for not Whining...............(grin)

Dec 12, 2019
Well there is an entire communist country and most of the continental US between your new high performing synthetic quilt and your state so....
But, we are actually working that currently, looking at less bulky options. I appreciate the business and giving us a chance.

Dec 12, 2019
And for sure, it will we out eventually. I wouldn’t use the Super B as my exterior layer during western OR rifle, or whatever your conditions currently are. No piece of gear is your end all 100% solution for every situation. If we listed it as a poncho or contraceptive, I’d hope it didn’t permeate. The Super B is the best warmth to weight option we could find/design while also being designed to move moisture away from you. Slide that bad Johnson in a bivy and then you’re really cooking with gas.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Are they warmer than chest waders,on a September Alpine Hunt?i? That is the REAL question.(grin)

I think Chris nailed it from the get go,because warmth is easiest to arrange,when you're dry. Could see you guys selling THE shit out of them to Sled Heads and the like. Could see it saving bacon in these parts,vacuum packed and tucked in a dry bag,on a boat.

But alas,nothing works worth a fuck here and that's more than half the fun....................

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Are they warmer than chest waders,on a September Alpine Hunt?i? That is the REAL question.(grin)

I think Chris nailed it from the get go,because warmth is easiest to arrange,when you're dry. Could see you guys selling THE shit out of them to Sled Heads and the like. Could see it saving bacon in these parts,vacuum packed and tucked in a dry bag,on a boat.

But alas,nothing works worth a fuck here and that's more than half the fun....................
I initially thought of the "sled head" population as well...if a guy could make those in the most visible color possible.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
They replied promptly and shot a note back,once I was in service. The boys have the right attitude.

Might take it to work and let everyone with Sleds,Airplanes and Boats gawk it. Purty sure I could drum up more than a little business there. Be curious if it really cooled off,how long it would take to make a hunker hole in the snow and start building some warmth back up.

You up or home? I'll be up Wednesday.............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Lookin' like it's gonna dry right out.(grin)

Funny how a guy can lose sooooooooooo much ambient,but it's so much easier to stay warm.

I'll know Wednesday morning.................(grin)

Dec 12, 2019
We did our Gen 2 prototypes in OD / Blaze add will happily bring blaze orange back. We can access other high vis colors if we have the feedback that it’s warranted. Let me know what y’all think. We just added tan/coyote brown to do a few different two tone options. Blaze would be too easy.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm Old School Barbarian Mentality and I'd Vulcan Mindfuck the whole outfit. I'd simply price in even dollars,fuck cents and shipping would be more than padded into that cost and "free".

That's why all of my Tax Dollars go to Jet A and Munitions. I really don't know who's Tax Dollars are Paving Inner City Ghetto's and funding Global Warming Studies.......................(grin)

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Nice to see you here Joe. Glad you have met Stick and you seem to be getting along.

He may come across as a nice guy, but when you really get to know him, he's an asshole,

Fair warning... grin.

Dec 12, 2019
Nice to see you here Joe. Glad you have met Stick and you seem to be getting along.

He may come across as a nice guy, but when you really get to know him, he's an asshole,

Fair warning... grin.
I’m always scared folks will find out just how nice a guy I am as well. I can’t be having that shit.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Shit happens,that's cool. Probably wouldn't hurt bidness,to fling an Email saying "there's been a glitch,but the ball is rolling".

Communication is cheap insurance and very fucking few use it...........................

Dec 12, 2019
We've got a hangup with our producer. Its not something I really want to scream from the rooftops, but yeah, its started to affect ship dates and that is unsat. I'm glad you reached out and Gerry handled it all. If there is anything at all you're unhappy with going forward, let us know and we will make it right.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
-45 ambient yesterday at work and all SE flights cancelled this morning,so I simply slurked back to the Motel and will do some shopping.

Beats the shit out of a real job...................(grin)

Reactions: Painless

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Parcel was awaiting me,at the PO,when I hit town today.

I bet they could vac pack 'em and get 'em in a medium Flat Rate box. Packaged well and obviously well made,of what seems to be good materials. I like the draw cinch...but it don't stand a chance now,in this 50/50 rain snow mix and SOPPING snow on the ground.

Will try to remember to take it to work for The Sled Heads and some cold/dry weather testing. It was -45 ambient the morning I left and -72 in the wind. Buggy just called and said it's warmed to -34 ambient,but the wind picked up.(grin)

Some other stuff arrived too...............

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
When you guys are back up and running, I'm in for a pair of the 3.5 oz in a Blaze/?? color.

We did our Gen 2 prototypes in OD / Blaze add will happily bring blaze orange back. We can access other high vis colors if we have the feedback that it’s warranted. Let me know what y’all think. We just added tan/coyote brown to do a few different two tone options. Blaze would be too easy.
View attachment 212

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Could see it working REALLY well,for you boys and Winter Pursuits. Vac-packed with a Space Blanket and a guy could hunker hard.

Woulda made for a far purtier picture,for the (4) kids recently caught in a blizzard..................