data-csrf="1713563402,ddfe8f7c6061b970af2f5f2e9884b4db" BIG Bitch........... | As Real As It Gets

BIG Bitch...........

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Stock arrived,barrel is in Kali,just need to pipe wrench the OEM spout offa the POS Pre-64 .532" donor and then Show Time!(grin)

Brass and extry boolits arrived,glass is enroute with rings and only a 1913 inclined rail concerns me.

Extry extry dies should be here soon and it'll be time to inlet the inletting,to add weight and spruce 'er up a smidge...................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Roger that...the POS Pre-64 70 Dudelicker 338 Winny Mag,is no more.(grin)

Anybody want a PRISTINE spout offa same and the Custom stock? I will make you a fucking DEAL.(grin)

Tang fits rather well(suplizing),but lug mortise is too small and that's a NICE "'problem" to have.

I'll make it all happy,with the Vintage bottom metal,bed it and then fling it to Kali. Will need to notch/shorten comb enroachment to tang,for bolt travel,round some edges,sculpt some ergos and then seal the bitch up. Bedding the receiver first,makes it a breeze to hog out barrel channel,add "secret" weight in same,then FL neutral bed the works under cover. I fucked up and forgot to order hex head S/S action fasteners,but think I've got everything else covered.

7mm Rem Mag as inferred and I reckon it'll prolly even shoot and not recoil much,while launching stupid BC's into neighboring atmospheres via magfed Smooches..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Bart' Heavy Palma 31" blank contour info.

Stock is inletted straight 1.250",as that is as big as they go. Typically,I'm happy to toss shank offa fucking cliff,but here I'll look to retain as much as possible and will prolly go 27",as a start.

I'd of simply went receiver diameter,if Greg woulda had one in stock,at the time. Northern Lite is straight 1.360" to 30".

Which reminds me...I gotta swap rings on 'Lite.............

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I really have dropped the ball with my heavy 7. Hunted it last year when it was in the HTG but haven’t had it out since putting it into the A5.

Got a new place to shoot in the works that’ll allow up to about 900yds. I need to build a bench for the property owner which is a small price to pay for privacy.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Funny that you mention that,as I was gonna cite earlier that I'm already missing a 2-ounce Shilen and it's not even assembled yet. It will have enough mass,that the shitty OEM unit will suffice,but never approach warm or fuzzy.

The Incredible Hulk wears the S/S Double Ounce Shilen and I REALLY like that fire control system.............

teal

Dec 16, 2007
Missing, presumed dead.....
Speaking of big 7 - there used to be this guy on the 'fire that was super hot on the 7 Mashburn. I never looked into it but from what I can tell - 300 WM necked to .284

Stick - ever play with it? Knew a guy with a 7 STW built on a Wby action and one of Boot's barrels. Said it was pretty impressive too. The only .284 I have is on Lapua .308 hulls - per the recipe.

Really seeing zero reason to get much above .284 in diameter these days unless talking 375 - and that's "just because" - zero use/need for it.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Prolly BobinNH.

Have had multiple STW's,as we all did in The Pre-LRF Days. Never Mashburned and wouldn't,as I'd rather shoot longer bullets,than longer cases. Nor would I STW again,for like reason.

The 7mm RemMag has always been tough to whoop and really is a Monster,when housed in a 700 or similar COAL latitude. The .284" 190 Beer Can and a .848 BC,sets the bar higher than high,while being a breeze to arrange.

These are The GOOD Old Days...............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Metal is happy,top and bottom.

Just need a comb bolt tunnel,add weight and let the Mail do it's thang.................

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Was pondering that myself after viewing the link you sent me.
If it was a hunting or match rifle I could see jumping through all the hoops but for a bench toy it doesn’t seem like the juice is worth the squeez.

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
I still see bluing on that receiver. Maximum sacrilege has not yet been achieved.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Tough crowd and MEAN too!(grin)

The pre-64 70 Notion is obviously Retrostalgic. Not Van Orden deep,but toes certainly in the water. I embarrassingly cut teeth and suffer more fucking Winchesters than I care to admit,but none of it is truly warm/fuzzy(Model 12's excluded).

Impetus was to toss a BIG bitch together,to launch the new BC's(Beer cans),with mass/heft doing the job of recoil reduction,rather than a Loudener or something equally fucking stupid. Were to obejectively gawk through The Herd,I probably already have Little Un's,Medium builds and some KungFu platforms...but they don't spoil and go "bad",so another can't hurt.

The Donor Rifle fell into my mitts and I've always hated 338 Win's,which is a run that continues. Woulda made a rather nice 257Wby Sporter,but that's a bitter pill,when a 243 Kreed smokes it. Contemplated 264 Win,but it always comes full circle to bullets and it can't begin to hang,with a .284" of like capacity. There's always been lotsa Mojo in the 7mm Rem Mag and I've had/have piles of 'em. Just a straight no bullshit hammer,that's long had the projectile advantage through the evolution(s) of same. So I thought "fuck it...why not?!?".

CRF hasn't ever showed me anything and I've had more issues with same,despite their being juyst a fraction percentage wise of The Fleet. Maybe I needed a "challenge",to remind me how it takes but 90 seconds to throw a KILLER 700 together,less concession?(grin)

'gunnr kinda/sorta hinted at The D'Arcy take on the transformation from shortened H&H to Full Length H&H on an elder '70. As we were talking about what do what and he had the easy one,with a Post '64 and shim removal.

Conversion RINK One

Conversion RINK Two

When the dust settles,it will have been a pain in the dick and yet another feather in the 700's cap............................(grin)

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Best platform for a 280 Rem / 280 AI to launch the new projectiles.., and those that might come after?

Not interested in a magnum chambering.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
It's going to be hard to beat a 700 there, but I'll confess I know about zero on the Howa long actions. But Aus has a lot of them I take it. I'd go 700 just for all the options with magazines, stocks, etc.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
700 by lightyears and I'd simply go 280,Lapooey Twat-Six brass false shouldered/positive headspace and never look back.

OEM confines are HUGE....................

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Copy that. Only long action I have just now is a Zastava Mauser and I was thinking those lines... (Don’t laugh)

I may just leave the Mauser alone and look for a 700 then. Never bad for options anyway.

What not 280AI?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The 280AI is obviously a nice cartridge. For me and looking at upper echelon BC's,it simply takes a far greater change in case capacity,to really eek any more goody.

The Lapooey Twat-Six false shoulder route is without peer and I could give a fuck about a couple "clicks" less "performance" when dialing distant zipcodes. I'll HAPPILY bank on ES/SD,good DOPE and let anyone/everyone have the first shot.................(grin)

Reactions: bobnob

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I shoot too much to do it.(grin)

Not enough meat for my tastes,in regards to locking lug metal.

I sooooooooo fhuqking HATE Winchester's..................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Intellesting. Mightcha' have a Rink to it?

IF I could skin everything back to the stern,I'd roll FULL steam ahead,but that of course goes to where the floorplate ain't aligned,amongst a host of other issues.(grin)

I can't think of a .532" anything worth a fhuqk,that'd shine in the OEM 458 Winny's trite mag confines. You?..................

Shooter71

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

Reactions: Al Nyhus

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Not enough meat for my tastes,in regards to locking lug metal.
'Stick, I've seen the aftermath of that exact modification. My 'smith guru Stan Ware (SGR Custom Rifles) passed on the job and advised the customer against having it done. But it got done at another shop. I saw the carnage when it came back to Stan's to have a new receiver done....it wasn't pretty.

The receiver ring on those Model 70's are prone to much more radial expansion than a 700 and this plays into bolt loading, as well. As the thickness of the threaded barrel tenon decreases (like on the .532/404 Jeffrey based cases) the radial expansion stretches the receiver O.D. due to the thinner tenon wall thickness being more flexible. Lots of times, this shows up as sticky cases and difficult extraction that no amount of case sizing can get ahead of. Both Jim Borden and Dave Tooley did extensive work in this area and both related the same things to me.

Pardon my wading upstream a bit on this but you know where I'm heading.....;)

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I get that, but you’re pretty well hamstrung if a repeater is wanted.
There is a nice McM Hunter for a long pre 64 on the couch fire if a gear switch is done towards a lighter weight.
LINK

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
I had first hand experience with the case issues when working with side by side 300 WSM's...one a Model 70 and the other a 700. The Model 70 got case issues fully 200 fps below the 700. Mic'ing the fired cases showed virtually identical chamber dimensions right up to a certain point and then the Model 70 cases got progressively bigger....the shoulder ended up fully .002 bigger than the 700's brass.
The difference in a Model 70 1.00" receiver and the 700's 1.062" when looking at hoop strength isn't just engineer-speak. In most cases, it's not going to be seen. But add a bigger case diameter into the picture and things can get herky pretty quickly.
Most don't figure it out and blame everything but the real culprit.
My 2 cents on it, fwiw. -Al

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm ALL ears,as I unfortunately have Winchesters,despite hating them.(grin)

This is sounding like a Rem 700 S/A 7-08 Pep Talk and I'm in!....................

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Don't get me wrong....there's a lot to like about the Model 70's and I like a lot of them. The Classic Stainless in 308W is one of the most accurate out of the box guns I've ever had.

The Williamsport 1K guys used to sleeve the 70's and/or run the thread interface pretty snug...as compared to a typical 700 tenon fit up. Kinda' like a BAT...just short of galling! :eek:

I imagine Shaen is doing the fitup...he's a savvy guy and might have some thoughts on thread profiling to address this?