data-csrf="1711668203,e05e0ad1ac7aa9f470027d30e8913225" Broadheads? | As Real As It Gets

Broadheads?

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
They are in the running. I'm now using Magnus 4-blade Stingers. I've taken two bucks and a yote with them so far. They shoot well, but if you're not careful you can bend the ferrule when pulling them from the target (Block). I think a softer target would be easier on them. Although they have a lifetime guarantee...

jwill

Dec 6, 2007
NW FL
I started shooting them last year. They fly pretty well and they punch a really nasty hole. They're built like a tank too.

ShootOne

Dec 5, 2007
Florida
I've got a quiver full of the 100g slick trick mags. i have been wanting to shoot a hog but its so damn hot here, i cant talk myself into going after them.

i tested them in plywood 1/2in sheet and walked away very impressed, blew holes in the sheet. also shot it with 2 blade rage and both blades broke off

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
ShootOne said:
I've got a quiver full of the 100g slick trick mags.
Me too.

I whacked a caribou with them last year, and my buddy shot a moose with a 100gr Slick Trick. Both broadheads held together perfectly and can be put back into service with a little sharpening. The one that went through the moose took out bones and still went all the way through. They are mean little bastards.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
More proof that they work and work well.

You guys made my mind up. Fuck, this shit has been happening allot.....'grin'

They'll be in the next order to Cabela's.

I'll probably go 125's. I might have a Spring Bear hunt on the menu for '09 and some require at least 125gr. head.

CARBON-ARCH

Apr 11, 2008
Washington
I have nevr used them personally, however i have friends that do and love them!!! They are devastating on critters and fly excellent! Very sharp right out of the pack!

*88*

May 29, 2008
WA,
There a real nice broadhead and very strong to boot!! I still like the one piece design when your going after large critters. The Nap Hellrazor will be put to the test for the 08 season.

hicountry

Dec 17, 2007
Northern Virginia
Thunderhead 100 man myself.....was using the 'Thead 125, but switched to the 100's a couple of years ago.

They just plain kill shit fast. Almost never have an arrow stay in a deer...usually just zip right through.

Tony

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
hicountry said:
Thunderhead 100 man myself.....was using the 'Thead 125, but switched to the 100's a couple of years ago.

They just plain kill shit fast. Almost never have an arrow stay in a deer...usually just zip right through.

Tony
Same here...And tough to boot. Drove one into a black bear at a range of less than 20" and it punched right through the scapula. Only got about 7" of penetration past that point, but it was enough at the time to even the odds for me.

And no, that ain't a typo...The stick was still on the string when it started into the hair...

hicountry

Dec 17, 2007
Northern Virginia
Holy shit, dude that is close.

My nearest shot was 15 yards, head on, on the ground. I tried to put it in the chest, head on, but mis-timed his head sway and drilled him right between the eyes and dropped him in his tracks.

Put another one in the chest for insurance.

He never did move.....WTF.

Here is the rug from that bear.

Tony

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Yeah, fucked up elk hunting one day...Hunted hard all morning with no action whatsoever...Got back to the bike, geared down and strapped all the shit back to the racks for the ride out, hopped on, went to turn around the bike and looked up and saw 3 elk on the hill in front of me 200 yards out...

Hop off, grab my Browning Mantis, and leave the pistol gripped 12 with the tac-star sling strapped to the bike thinking I'll just slip up the trail a hundred yards and see what I can see.

Get in about 150 yards in an olllldddd cutblock cut with ollllllddd cat trails across the 70 - 80% slopes...(pretty steep if you aren't slope savvy...) Squeak out a couple of sweet cow calls and hear a branch pop down the hill from one of the trails.....Figure it has to be a bull...Slip over the bank, sneaky style....

Picture this, heavy alders, visibility of about 15 feet..., on an old trail that is eroded away to about 8 feet wide, and not too far from vertical on the outside edge with the old sidecast trail...Standing on the outside edge waiting for the bull to sneak up on the cow....

Turns out bulls ain't the only thing that'll sneak in to a cow call......Thats an easy lesson to learn, and it only takes once...

Figured out it was a bear at about 20', and had time to yard back on the string before he was even with me....When he hit my scent trail his ears laid back and the hair on his back stood up...I was leaned back as far as I could, and he was still pretty close, but I'd figured to let him pass up until that point. When he started forward fast it spooked me and I hit the release without realizing it until the arrow was going.

Funny thing with bears when you spear them is the bounce and roll before they hit that dead run...Had always found it funny before that, but when he was doing the bite and roll at my feet all I could really think of was "I sure hope he ain't pointed at me when he lines out..."

You know you are close when you get blood spray on your legs. Got lucky when he lined out though as he was pointed downhill. Still went about 400 yards though before he ran out of steam, although he did hole up on the high side of the trail in 3 spots waiting for me in that distance. (I left him for about 4 hours before I started wandering down to look...more out of curiousity than anything else...)Ran out of blood and tracks and figured fuck it and started to climb straight up the hill, grabbing whatever I could for handholds when I found him....By grabbing onto his foot trying to climb up under a cedar...Sure glad he was dead already....

Mac84

Nov 20, 2007
I use the vortex and slick tricks. I was surprised at how well the slicks flew the first time I flung em.

Spencer SS

Dec 5, 2007
da Bayou state
Steelhead's making a trad. based on the 3-1" howard hill design, I'll be testing them if my rep ever brings the fuckers to me.

Used the 160 Razerheads by Bear for some time. Tryed afew, learned a few things:

Fixed beats mech 99% of the time.

Old designs are often better than new shit; They made shit to work back then, as aposed to making them to catch hunter's eyes these days.

No Broadhead is great if you miss.

Fancy or 'wild' looking= POS

Put in where it counts and most broadheads will do there part. This applys to rifles too.

I've bloodied 85 thunderheads, 100 thunderheads, 90 muzzys, 100 vorteks, 100 montecs, 160 razorheads, 145 firstcuts, ? landsharks.

22 skadoo

Dec 9, 2007
NJ
+ 1 on the Thunderheads.
hicountry said:

Tony

BearsNitemare

Apr 14, 2008
Alaska
Anyone use the Shuttle-T's? I had a pard shoot a 58" bull moose at 21 yards with one and it went clean through and the bull went 40 yards and dropped dead in it's tracks. I'm using 125gr Muzzies right now but might have to try those Shuttle-T's.

Hooker

Dec 3, 2007
Nez Perce County
Prowler said:
They are in the running. I'm now using Magnus 4-blade Stingers. I've taken two bucks and a yote with them so far. They shoot well, but if you're not careful you can bend the ferrule when pulling them from the target (Block). I think a softer target would be easier on them. Although they have a lifetime guarantee...
Luv the 4 blade Stingers! Prolly finish life with them!!

Ran Thunderheads for along time. They kill shitt. Period. But I don't like the fact they loose blades fairly easy in meat. Neither dose my butcher.

Magnus Stinger two blades fly just as well and I'd not hesitate to run them.

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/stingers.html