data-csrf="1714138634,2ce13494a64ca82b5bac76f05dab9bb3" Build for kid. | As Real As It Gets

Build for kid.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Going to start gathering parts for a rifle or 2 for the kid. He’s 6 right now.

Couple rimfires and others put away for him, but I think I should get started on a bigger rifle too.

Running some ideas through my mind, on things that could grow with him. I’m thinking a 700, sporterish contour 6 BR at 20/21” in a MDT LSS would fit a growing kid pretty good.

Next to no recoil, plenty of barrel life and should be pretty handy.

I think something fun, accurate and adjustable might be a bit better idea than sawing off a stock and dropping a factory BA in.

Thoughts? This is new territory for me.

Rastus

Jan 22, 2014
State Of Confusion
03A803F0-92EF-4454-A5D7-D63425861853.jpeg

What you are describing would look a lot like this
It would be doable for a kid as purely a belly gun but really they are pretty damn awkward and would be about the last thing that I would want to saddle a kid with
This is the same barreled action in a sporter stock and that is what I would recommend
24A87744-28C0-4FA7-8AC1-E798BE981D28.jpeg

6 BR is a wonderful thing but a decent 223 is just too easy
Chop the factory plastic stock and once they grow into a full sized stock put a nice one on it

Last edited:

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I did a 6x45 rem sporter contour in an LSS for my son when he was younger. He loved it for bench or prone but it bordered on useless in any other position.

He shot a 223 montana more than anything because it was light enough he could handle it.

Today I'd just buy one of those howa carbon stalkers.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Ok, scratch the LSS!!

Guess i'll start watching for a Howa, and try to pick up a youth stock for it.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I think that would be the way to go. One of those plastic youth stocks should be around.

Id be happy to loan you my 223 montana for a while if you want to have an extended play session for the kiddo with it, just to see if it works.

Head up 220 or 81 and we can shoot,have a beer and visit....

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I did Rem short action in B&C Alaskan ti stock, chambered in 7mm-08.
If I had to do it again I’d go Greyboe Outlander.
The stocks are cheap enough you can cut them down for the kids and then just replace when they grow as a teen.
Easy to set up with M5 bottom metal and magazines.

Rastus

Jan 22, 2014
State Of Confusion
Generous offer, but i'd prob have a hard time giving it back!
The obvious answer to that is to find one for yourself, actually you will have to find two
I couldn’t think of a better rifle for a kid
Our kids did plenty of shooting with mine and my wife’s rifles just tucking the butt under their armpit
I went to the trouble of making a small stock for my wife’s 22 but they didn’t like it they would rather use her stock

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Do you have a suppressor? They make shooting and hunting with kids so much better.
I’ve got youth bolt 223s for the kids but they preferred the AR platform because of the reduced recoil and lack of having to work a bolt. The 6.5 Grendel was a good step up for reliable killing. Now that my bigger kids are small adult size they’re hunting with regular size bolt guns.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I do not have a suppressor, but I've been thinking about getting the stuff rolling to get one.

I've a couple of ARs, in 6mm and .223. Plenty of low recoil bolts too, but want him to have his own, and one that fits him well.

I do have a couple stocks laying around, easy answer would probably be sawing off this spare Ti, and dropping something in it.

'Smith work is pretty much free, and my cousin has been turning out some crazy good BRs lately. Lots showing up in these parts due to him. Can't get that idea out of my head right now.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
A custom BR would be sweet!

Another thing I bumped into. Do you know his eye dominance? I started gathering for my boy and he turned out left eye dominate so I scraped some plans and had to procure left hand actions.

As far as suppressors. I’m cheap and have a YHM Resonator and now a Resonator K in jail. There are “better” cans at twice the price but I’ll slum a few ounces for the two for one deal. Otherwise look at Thunder Beast Ultras. And grab a 22 suppressor too!

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Lineman,
I hear you on the montana, its hard to let go of, but the offer stands.

As the others have said, get a suppressor. A can helped my son more than any other thing. I've found with the kids I've helped muzzle blast makes them gun shy just as much as recoil.

The other rifle my son shot a lot, and still does at 10, is my Lilja #1 barreled 223ai. I put it in a tupperware factory youth stock when he was really little but he did ok with a full size stock from about 8 on.

The key is keep it light enough they can handle it. After trying a bunch of shit on my kid, if I were starting over it would be a montana or mini carbon howa. If building, a 700 with a very light contour barrel not cut so short its blasty.

Since VA hates 22s a 6x45 rates a thought if you want this rifle to also be his deer gun

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Nothing wrong with a 6br either but for high volume shooting, the 6x45 is still tough to beat.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm expecting Factories to embrace the 6 ARC in turnbolts and it'll bring a bunch to the table.

They couldn't keep a S/S Mini Howa Carbon Bitch chambered same,on the fucking shelf..................