data-csrf="1713275390,28b7977ae6dc4c812673d3e019706309" bullwinkle bullets | As Real As It Gets

bullwinkle bullets

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
My number should be up this fall for a NB moose tag. Last time I drew was 1996, so these are few and far between. These are eastern moose- so not as big as the northern / western animals. Shot can be long, but generally aren't. I'd really like to give my 7-08 a run. Current load is a 162 amax at 2700. Just curious how I should expect it to work on an eastern moose, given that starting velocity, and the potential for a shot at 25-400rds.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
After this year's moose experience, I'm not sure what to think, anymore. I whacked my first moose with a 7-08 and a 120gr TSX. A high shoulder shot put him on the ground, from 40 yards, and I fired the finisher into his chest from a few paces. Neither bullet exited, but a dead moose (53" bull) was the result, with very little drama.

This year's moose (54" bull) soaked up three 168gr T-TSXs from a .300 Win Mag at 140 yards. At least one of the bullets did not exit, and I recovered it resting on the far shoulder blade. The bullets all seemed to be in the right place, for mortal wounds, but he was on his feet much more than I expected, and he sure took long enough to die!

I might take my .375 H&H, this year, just to be sure I have enough gun. 😁

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
Dan, I remember you talking about the success you had with the 120 tsx the first time around. I have load using them in the 7 saum, which I'm sure won't bounce off. I even have an outfitter friend local to me pushing hard for 168 Bergers in the saum, but that doesn't apeal to me, especially given the likelyhood of a shot inside 100yrds.

I filled my first tag with hornie 162 btsps out of the 7-08. Pretty much anything can be made to work.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
I wouldn't be toooo concerned. I didn't 162 anything big with a 7/08, but I did smack a couple bull elk inside 150 with my 7wsm with that bullet without issue.

And with a moose its fairly likely that you will have plennnnty of time for a second, third, and fourth poke if you feel so inclined. Although, that said, the last 3 moose I have been involved with didn't give ANY opportunity for a second poke as they all folded immediately. Mind you, that was 150 TTSX's from my 280AI and shoulder blades were involved.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Pretty much anything can be made to work.
You'll get no argument from me! 😁

I'm still scratching my head on this year's moose, though. You'd think that 168 T-TSXs, starting their journey at 3300fps, would quickly settle any arguments. Seriously, how do you stand up, again, after this?

This was the entry side of the third shot, between the ribcage and shoulder blade, and he still got back on his feet. Incredible!

Here is the off-side shoulder, which is pretty clean. I only found one of the .30 bullets, pretty sure it was from the 3rd shot, but I'm not really sure any of them really did exit. ???

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
I'd try the 180's, but don't really see the advantage at the ranges I'm expecting. Plus the rifle is a factory Ti, and I don't think the 1-9" tube will do that pill any favours.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
What 162's do to everything else,is what 180's do to 162's.

In OEM confines,the 162 is the one..........................

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I have shot one with 7wsm and shit bullets and they worked ok. I'd be happy to run an amax/eld in that scenario. Through the lungs takes some time, but it works. Just don't expect much of a reaction until they tip over.

Nearly anything will work if you shoot them at the head /neck junction. Grin.

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
A pard uses the 150 Nosler Partitions in his 7-08 with excellent results....black bear to elk to moose. It's a Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle that I restocked did the load work on.

For what it's worth.... -Al

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
yup, anything will work. Just trying to figure the best mouse trap. This is very much a meat hunt. We get 5 days at the end of September. Any moose is fair game, and shots are generally inside 200, and often much closer than that. If I can manage a pill in the noggin, I certainly will, but plans do seem to have a way of changing on the fly!

I suppose I could just feed the saum some 162's... That will probably guarantee a 30 yard shot.

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
Have killed four of them...300wm with 180 partition (two shots at 200 yards, second through both shoulder blades dropped him), 30-06 with 180 partition, then two with 350RM and 250 hornady. The '06 bull died soonest, one shot tight in the crease at 30 yards, mushroom under hide opposite. Each 350RM bull took the coup de grace behind the ear, but they weren't going anywhere.

Watched a bull take two unfortunately chosen 165gr SSTs out of a 300 RCM in the chest, then a 150 NBT out of a 270 right in the neck. It was as if the bull ignored all 3 and sauntered slowly off into the woods. A few minutes later the SST shooter dropped the unhappy hang-dog bull in the woods with two quick ones out of his glock 20...the high shoulder shot jiggled spine. I finished that one with a 44 mag and 310 lee hardcast to the base of the skull. If that sounds like a bit of a shitshow, well, it was, come to think about it. But it was never out of control, the packout was all of 200 yards to the river, and it sure is nice to have help cutting them up!

They can really soak up some lead, and I'm not sure there's a magic formula. Just a big animal.