data-csrf="1711668262,b77c02ae19ab02b877c50dd9d3d22515" Camera Questions | As Real As It Gets

Camera Questions

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I have a Canon 40D body with a few decent lens. It's time for some new batteries, but otherwise the camera works just fine.

Is it worth upgrading to the 90D? Maybe the 6D, instead? T8i? SL3? Having video sounds like a good idea, but I've never shot video on a DSLR. Is it worth the upgrade, or just drive what I have?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I wouldn't go from one Barbie body,to another.

The 40D to me,was like Reupold,even though I did my part...it never did it's part.............(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The 1DX is a KILLER,no doubt about it.

KEH has 1D3's(APS-H) for under $420. I have (3) of those bodies and just simply fucking LOVE them. The transition from 40D to it,is like going to the fucking Moon!

I cain't do Barbie Bodies,because I'm hard on shit. The only 1D-Series "issue" I've ever had(in 9 bodies),was when The Dude slipped and got washed downstream into a logjam and I tossed the camera from around my neck onto the rocks 30'+ away,as I was diving in. It cracked the body. BIG "surprise"!(grin) Even bruised in sucha' manner,it never missed a lick. I sent it in to be fixed,because I've seen my shit get wet and a crack in a weather sealed body,prolly ain't smart bidness.

I'd Buy This In A Fucking Second

Yesterday. 1D3 and Siggy 35mm Artsy/Fartsy 1.4.

ISO 200,F/2.8(for a leetle DOF) and 1/1500 of a second,to freeze the show.

Do it.................

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Ok, I bought the 1D-3 in your link. I chose the top option, with the battery and charger for $412. Seems like a hell of a deal! Thank you for the link!

I have a fixed 50mm, as well as 18-55mm cheapy, 28-135mm, and 100-400 lenses. Any other lens(es) I should consider?

Does the 17-40mm make much sense on the full-frame body?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I LOVE the 17-40mm on EVERYTHING.

The camera cited(1D3 linked)is an APS-H sensor(my FAVORITE sensor size)...but the 17-40 will happily mate FF,APS-H and APS-C sensors. I often tote just a 17-40 and 100-400,less regret...............

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Thanks, I appreciate the lens info. I see there is a $300 rebate on the 17-40, so now seems as good a time as any to pull the trigger on one.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
My 1D3 was wearing the 17-40,when I threw it on the rocks and it has yet to miss a lick.

I REALLY like that focal length coverage,aboard the APS-H sensor size and find it a very forgiving melding..................

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
How is the 17-40 for taking fish pictures on the boat deck, where you can only step back about 8 feet? I imagine it would be about ideal, but it never hurts to ask.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Good question.

Your concern is MFD(Minimum Focus Distance) and it will focus at 11-inches.

Given the focal zoom ratio and MFD,I've a "hunch" you'll be fine with backdeck Hero Shots...............(grin)

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
It's comforting to know that the lens will have some room to spare, when Chris holds his fish WAY out front in order to look bigger. 😁

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
  • Deleted by Dan In Alaska
Show…

wireman

Apr 7, 2012
Idaho
Thoughts on R6?

Dan...are you banging frames yet?

Thoughts?.....................
R6
So far so good.
The IQ on the 1d4 and 5d3 is way better than fine and I had no complaints.
I felt like I never grasped the 1d4 focusing to its potential and still struggled with fast moving/changing objects and my hit rate was below what I wanted.
I shot a ballerina in daylight with a strobe and the leaping shots were pretty much nailed with the 5d3, but it is a Barbie Body and more often than not I would reach for the 1d4. So the 5d is sold.
The R6 is not a 1D body and although I thought about a low mileage 1dx2, I'm really stoked on the R6. Th AF is simply amazing. The low light IQ is totally amazing.
I bought the Canon ring adapter and my EF lenses perform perfectly. I did get the RF 24-105.
Customizing the buttons; The * is BB focus, the button to the right shifts instantly to Eye tracking, which is a mind blower, the button next is AF point selection, I used the DOF to switch instantly between One Shot and Servo. Set button for ISO. Everything can be changed via touch on the back screen, although I did turn some Bells and Whistles off.
I'm at one year on my double knee replacement and the benefits are really kicking in so I've been fishing, shooting, camping like I haven't done in years and am in the winding down stages of my bathroom remodel so not many photos lately.
Did some product photos for Odin Works (shameless plug) and am going to do some video with the R6 soon. Still shots were 1d4 and 5d3.
Anyway, its a little camera and doesn't fill the hand like a 1d or 5d with battery grip, but doesn't bother me much.
More to follow

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Dan...are you banging frames yet?

Thoughts?.....................
The 1D3 body arrived on Friday, so I charged it up and hauled it with me to the Denali Hwy over the weekend. I shot some swan pictures with the 100-400 lens, but the weather and lighting wasn't great. I haven't downloaded or looked at any of the shots yet.

The first impressions of the 1D are good. The auto-focus is the most recognizable surprise; it's FAST!! The user interface is much different than the 40D, so I'm slowly learning where all the "stuff" is hiding. Figured out how to get it in aperture-priority, adjust ISO, found full-auto mode, surfed some of the various menus, but that's about it, so far.

According to FedEx tracking, the 17-40mm should arrive today.

I'm thinking of picking up a Lowepro Fastpack for a "hold-it-all" camera bag. It'll take the 1D with the 100-400 attached, and has room for extra lenses and my video cameras (GoPro and Canon Vixia). I'm thinking this will be nice on the boat, with everything in one place.

I'm still thinking I'd like to get another Canon body, so I can shoot video with my good lenses. KEH has several used bodies that will fill this niche, but I haven't settled on one in particular, leaning 70D, over a T-series, though. I haven't ever shot video on an SLR before, so I'm not sure it's worth it, or if I'll just keep a dedicated (and much handier) video camera. Thoughts?

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I've been shooting a few frames with the "new" 1D3, but they all seem underexposed. I know we haven't had great weather, as of late, but the pictures really seem dark. The settings seem right, but I certainly won't claim to be an expert.

I should shoot some side-by-side with my 40D, with the same lens, just to see WTF.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Here are some sample pics, taken with the 1D3.

Av, ISO 200, 0 ev, 17-40, 20mm, F4, 1/800:

Av, ISO 200, 0 ev, 17-40, 40mm, F4, 1/400:

Av, ISO 200, 0 ev, 17-40, 40mm, F4, 1/1250

Av, ISO 100, 0 ev, 100-400, 100mm, F5.6, 1/6:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
One of many reasons why I like back button focus and the ability to lock a meter reading,with a partial shutter depress. You can meter the toughest part of scene,focus and then recompose and never miss a lick.

Old Injun' "Trick".................(grin)

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
'Nother way to look at it is to stroll back out to your boat you posted in the first image and trigger of a few frames as Stick wisely advised, starting at metering under the boat, the starboard side of the hull, the cab and then the sky. Illumination should follow viewing the set.... *grin*

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Tripping a shutter is free now compared to Kodachrome tutorials of yore.....

All you 1D and R owners should be posting more on this forum for our mutual enjoyment!

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I've been messing with it. Sorry for the rookie questions:

Went into the menu ---> C. FnIV (2) and enabled the AF-ON/AE lock button switch. Is this what I needed to do to turn on the * button for BB focus?

So a half-click on the shutter button locks in the exposure, then while holding the shutter button, hit the * button for focus? Or, is it the AF-ON button? I can get it to focus, but the exposure doesn't always stay fixed when I reframe and finish pulling the trigger.

And, which metering mode to you recommend?

wireman

Apr 7, 2012
Idaho

Went into the menu ---> C. FnIV (2) and enabled the AF-ON/AE lock button switch. Is this what I needed to do to turn on the * button for BB focus?

So a half-click on the shutter button locks in the exposure, then while holding the shutter button, hit the * button for focus? Or, is it the AF-ON button? I can get it to focus, but the exposure doesn't always stay fixed when I reframe and finish pulling the trigger.

I have found happiness in Pattern.
I roll in over/under exposure manually as the scene sees fit.
Kayaks in whitewater get a 1/3 maybe more bump up. I don't want to recover detail in the shadows. Highlight blinkies on.
Lots of shadows get a bump up too. You'll introduce noise if you need to recover detail in the dark areas.
Histogram it.
Of course this is coming from a guy, who after looking at the settings of his 1d4 to compare with the R6, may have just made a 3500.00 unnecessary purchase.
More to follow.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise

I hit the porch this evening and can grab a few 1D3 bodies and pinpoint settings.

Don't sweat it..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Within this menu,there's (15) flavors you can control in Custom Function I alone,in the Exposure selection.

1) #2
2)#1
3) Disable
4) On
5) #0
6)#0
7)#0
8)#0
9) All of 'em
10) All of 'em
11)#0
12)1/8000 and 30-seconds
13)Disable
14) Not registered
15) #0

Within Custom Function II,there are (9) controls

1) #0
2) #0
3)#0
4)#0
5)#0
6)#0
7) #0
8) #0
9)#1

Within Custom Function III there are 17 controls

1)#0
2) right in the middle
3)#0
4) #0
5) #1
6)#2
7)#2
8)#2
9)#1
10)#0
11)#0
12)#2
13)#1
14) #0
15) #0
16) Enable
17) disable

Within Custom Function IV there are 16 controls

1) #3
2) Enable
3)#0
4)#3
5)#0
6)#0
7)#0
8) #1
9)#0
10)#0
11)#1
12)Disable
13)#0
14)#0
15) #0
16) #0

That will get you in the game...............

Reactions: Painless

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Thank you for all the info! I appreciate your time in writing all that shit down.

I just got done entering all the settings. I should be able to play with it this weekend, and I'll report back after I've had a chance to try it out.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
That's body #3. My mainstay is at work,but that should get you going.

Fuck around with locking exposure,then focus/recomposing.

Got a few rifles to bolt up this afternoon,but might delve into what the functions actually do and why I like,what I like............

Nail

Feb 8, 2008
Mississippi
The 1DX is a KILLER,no doubt about it.

KEH has 1D3's(APS-H) for under $420. I have (3) of those bodies and just simply fucking LOVE them. The transition from 40D to it,is like going to the fucking Moon!

I cain't do Barbie Bodies,because I'm hard on shit. The only 1D-Series "issue" I've ever had(in 9 bodies),was when The Dude slipped and got washed downstream into a logjam and I tossed the camera from around my neck onto the rocks 30'+ away,as I was diving in. It cracked the body. BIG "surprise"!(grin) Even bruised in sucha' manner,it never missed a lick. I sent it in to be fixed,because I've seen my shit get wet and a crack in a weather sealed body,prolly ain't smart bidness.

I'd Buy This In A Fucking Second

Yesterday. 1D3 and Siggy 35mm Artsy/Fartsy 1.4.

ISO 200,F/2.8(for a leetle DOF) and 1/1500 of a second,to freeze the show.

Do it.................

My Lord, is that the dude? How long have I been away?

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
There has been a decent bull moose cruising the neighborhood over the weekend, and he chose the neighbor's yard to call home for the night. Blasted some pics tonight, in the dark, around 10:30pm.

I used the 100-400 lens, pumped the ISO up to 3200, and rested the camera lens on the mirror of my truck to get steady. I'm glad the moose held still for the 1-2 second shutter speeds. They turned out ok, huh?

I snapped one with the iPhone, too, just to give an idea of the overall lighting.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Mechanically,you made the requisite moves. Bump ISO(adds sensitivity),whirl the Aperture open(adds ambient light),meter as needed and then weigh whatcha' gotta do,to put the resulting shutter speed in it's place(Image Stabilization don't suck).

Now there are bodies,that bolster more ISO and that don't suck. There are lenses that have greater/faster Apertures and that don't suck. That being said,bang for the buck,you couldn't do any better in the situation. That's when you just shrug shoulders and KNOW you did your part.

Every stop of Aperture,equates to a stop in ISO,which either doubles or halves shutter speed. Which is why I set my bodies to skew ISO in full stops and Aperture in 1/2 stop values. Soooooo...if you coulda' bumped ISO multiple stops ala 1D4 to 102,400 and assuming you were at 2-seconds on the frames above,you'd of been gunning a 1/6 sec. shutter speed. Add 2-stops of Aperture with a Big White 300/2.8 and now you're at essentially 1/25 second.

Or buy some Flash and do whatever the fuck you want..................(grin)

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Our friendly neighborhood moose is back, eating pumpkins this time. I've got the back button focus dialed in, but I still shoot with a +1.3 exposure compensation to brighten the shots up a bit. ???

A better look at those brow tines...

Managed to capture a little movement in this one.

He really has some lop-sided paddles.

wireman

Apr 7, 2012
Idaho
Pert near finished the bathroom remodel and caught up with the rest of what I needed to do to get some trigger time with the R6.
It has yet to replace the 1d4 which took the photo of the little wallflower in red in Havana. Other is Clearwater river outside of Kamiah, Idaho. Evening

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Looks like DIA is catching on.

wireman-- So, after spending time with both, would you R or 1D4 if you could only have 1? Por que?