data-csrf="1711664011,c497fc1a6d0ee3da272063c93b139eb5" Camera Questions | As Real As It Gets

Camera Questions

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
Weird day ... and not sure what the dude was thinking, but he sent me his 24 - 105 in the box the 17 - 40 was sposed to come in. Sent him a note asking what was up and he says his packages must have accidentally been labelled backwards and other dude is probably about to be getting the 17-40 I thought was coming to me.

Is now offering me a bit a moola returned if I am interested in just keeping it instead which would make it a great deal moola wise for what I think it is actually worth.

Would you guys keep this one or opt out for the 17-40 or money back is my curiosity? I did snap a few pics with it for interest and it does take em good.

with the money back my cost is 300. I will say it appears to be dang near brand new by how clean it is as well. I checked KEH and they are almost 500 for same condition.

keh linky

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Everyone shoots different and KEY is knowing what you like,so you can tool in accordance.

The 24-105 and 100-400 sound like a rather good focal length coverage,mainly because it is and the "flukes" are few that canon arranged same. I find myself rather enjoying the 17-40's perspective and thus finding it VERY useful.

Bang around with the 24-105,indoors and out,beings it's in your mitts. As a WORST case scenario,it's a rather cheap Test Drive and you'll KNOW.................

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
Thanks Stick - hasnt responded to me yet so tomorrow I figure I will spend a few moments dropping some shutter counts on fun stuff. The mind is a terrible thing when set and it was thinking shorter broader casts however I think if I play around and hone in on a feeling I might just take his gesture and add another to the pile.

Not like I aint pissed away 300 bucks before and this time I would actually have someone in exchange other than an empty wallet. lol

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
Well thats mighty kind of ya Dan ...lol

Spent some time rattling off some clicks and admitting, this thing is pretty impressive how clear and sharp the pics are. Borrowed the next door dudes 5d and sampled more. Funny though aside from the crop factor I can barely see difference in pic quality between the two cams. Sent the guy a note that I appreciate his offer and will keep it as we chatted. Worse thing in the long run is I sell it and have money plus for the 17-40, which already found one local for a price I might not walk from regardless.

Somethings you just cant have too much of ...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
He appeared to have had a long night.

I'll try to fill the frame with him tomorrow,if the weather is better than it is now.......................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I couldn't figure out what all the women folk were flapping their wings about,alongside the road. I stopped,talked to them and promised to return with a "big camera".

Pretty funny..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Pics are blasse,due the weather,which was fairly impressive.(grin)

The 1D4/300 2.8 sucks light in AMAZING fashion..................

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Took the 1D3 on a snowmachining trip today, thinking 10 frames-per-second would afford some good action shots.

I opted for the 28-135mm lens, and I was surprised at how "flat" the pictures looked (no depth), even with a wide open aperture.

After I got home, I realized that I left the ISO setting at 2000, from the previous photo session with the moose. We had all kinds of sun today, so I'm sure that particular setting didn't do me any favors....grrrr.

I need to find an easier way to lug the 100-400mm lens along. Maybe the longer focal length will get me the depth I'm looking for?

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
Awesome stuff.

Stick - I love the owl shot, just cool animals any way you look at them.

Enjoying the 24-105 but thinking I still want a short one when I go full frame.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
What are your concerns,to make "better"?..................
I was having a size issue with the images, but the last batch I posted seems to be larger. I must have changed something in the settings, when I exported them from Photos. I wasn't really paying attention.

I did get the ISO settings right, this time around. 😁

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
The shack wanted money last time I tried, and their upload from the phone blows ass.

Otherwise I like them. :)
Momma took some decent aurora iPhone pics the other day, and I managed to take some ok shots with the slr after the peak of the action had passed of course. Should figure out a way to post those.

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
well shit balls ....

Starting to miss the long lens thing.

Thoughts on Tamron? 150-600?

I have an extender gizmo but not really a fan of it and would rather just let the lens do the talking

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
There's some 3rd Party glass that meets and even beats Canon at it it's own game,but when going long and stretching focal length,the Real Deal has no equal...............

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
I have a sigma 150-600. It is nice, but it does leave me wanting more at times. It's a good lens but I don't love it like my 50mm ART

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Where can I get a lens serviced? I have a 28-135mm Canon lens, that I've had for a while. I was seeing some black flecks in my pictures, and upon cleaning the exterior surfaces of the lens & filters, I noticed that their is some debris on the inside surfaces of the lens.

Here's a photo to show you what I mean. You can see the black flecks in the sky:

I'm able to clean them up in the editing process, but I'd like to get the lens taken apart and cleaned, if possible.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I went back and looked at pictures taken with my 100-400 lens, and they have the flecks, as well:

Looks like I need the camera serviced, or maybe I can clean it myself? I'm really sure I want to start digging around in there with my fingers in there, though.

Last edited:

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
Dan - I know there are lots of places down here like this one ... I think it is $50 a lens.

linky

Seems a can of air and a clean room with some patience could probably save a buck or two though?

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
would you buy it again?

cool pics dudes. guess I gotta start using one of them accounts online
I'm not sure. I have gotten some good shots with it, but if I was after more wildlife I might think differently. There are some pics in this thread using the big sigma at an air show.

Reactions: Tillerjunkey