data-csrf="1711721008,039277e77e24dc5db828316fe89b24c4" Can this be done? | As Real As It Gets

Can this be done?

pullit

Nov 18, 2007
I have a Colt LW Commander in 38 Super. I am wanting to know if I can just change the barrel out in it to convert it to a 9MM for cheap shooting. I know I would need to also change the mags but can this be done.
I love the Super but for cheap shooting you can not beat a 9.

Thanks

jds44

Nov 18, 2007
East of pullit, West of Painless
To quote a few gunsmith's, nothing on a 1911 is a drop in...

The rim diameter on the Super is larger than a 9mm, so the breech face will be a hair large. Between the extractor being tensioned for the Super case and the fact that the case will be able to wiggle a bit on the breech face, you may have extraction issues.

9mm 1911's are notoriously picky feeders anyway and trying to get 9mm to feed in one setup for .38 Super may be a headache. I'd really want a ramped barrel for 9mm.

Besides maybe not feeding or extracting, it ought to work perfectly. :grin:

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Should work out just fine. You might also have to fiddle with a new extractor as I believe the super has a slightly larger rim diameter. A lighter recoil spring would be in order too I'd assume.

Charlie

pullit

Nov 18, 2007
sounded good on paper....
I guess I would be better off spending the 9mm barrel money on 38 Super brass and calling it done.

I don't want to have to cut the frame to allow for a ramped barrel so that is out.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Don't buy any Super brass. I've got a shitload (3-4K)of once fired sitting here, more than I'll ever use. If you'd like some of it shoot me a PM with a mailing addy and I'll get it off to you.

hangunnr

pullit

Nov 18, 2007
I am going to the range this afternoon and pull the trigger on my first 38 Super round.
Can not tell you how jazzed I am about the pistol (and for me to get pumped about a pistol is saying something!)

pullit

Nov 18, 2007
This one will not go anywhere no matter how it shoots. You know me, I don't have too much that I would not sell, but this one falls into "not for sale" category.

pullit

Nov 18, 2007
THANK YOU Charlie!!
Ok I made it to the range today. The recoil of the 38 Super was less than I was thinking it would be. The trigger needs some work as it feels "gritty" and a little heavy.
Don't laugh at these groups. After seeing them you will know why I shoot shotguns most of the time. Both were shot at 15 yards and I used PMC and Fiocchi ammos. The gun seemed to like the PMC better. Both were 130 grain ball ammo.

jds44

Nov 18, 2007
East of pullit, West of Painless
pullit said:
The trigger needs some work as it feels "gritty" and a little heavy.
First thing I'd try, if you haven't already, is detail stripping it down to the bare frame, hosing everything out, wiping down the trigger, channel the trigger rides in, etc., then lubing everything up good. There's know telling what kind of dust bunnies are living inside that thing after all these years.

Some guy on the Fire has a few Colt Super mags up for sale:
Super mags

pullit

Nov 18, 2007
hangunner was so nice and sent me a box of brass (nickel) to get this project started.

This gun has a great story and means a lot to me. With people like hangunner and JDS44 helping me get this project up and going, as I am not a handgun guy, it means even more.

Thanks guys.

Hope to haul my neighbor to the range to shoot this one in a few weeks.
I went to the Reloaders Bench and grabbed some 115 gr ball nose bullets today.

I got the check in the mail for the mags that Jeremie linked me to above.
All I need now is a little time....