data-csrf="1711618335,e0d225f85e80887278c65f4c50318aae" Canon 17-40 ? | As Real As It Gets

Canon 17-40 ?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I rather like the 17-40L,whether on FullFrame,APS-H orAPS-C sensor sizes.

I'd prolly start at KEH,ASAP,if only to see WTF.............(grin)

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
I looked at em extensively. Ended up with the 24-105 because dude messed up. After playing with it I am glad for his mistake. The 17-40 is a cool lens but lacks the IS the other holds.

I am thinking of a 16-35 to bridge the gap but the 17-40 holds some cool pixels for sure. Also is much cheaper and easier to come by from what I am seeing

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A shutter speed the reciprocal of focal length,is an oft touted "Rule". Meaning the 17-40 "needs" 1/40second shutter speed to handhold as a "Rule" on "average" for most folks. Obviously the 24-105 requires 1/105 second to be equal to the "Rule".

Long way of sayin',I've never been handheld compromised with the 17-40L,if only because every increase of native ISO stop,doubles shutter speed and I know what I need for shutter speed,in a given instance. One of many reasons I set my controls the way I do,because I can have infinite control of same.

There's Method to the Madness...................(grin)

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
Cant argue with the logic Stick ... finding way many 17-40's down here available. Most are 375 - 425. The 16-35 is pricin about 100 more and after fingering around one it isnt justified so I am offering a few on their 17-40 to bridge the gap.

Rag - I use facebook marketplace a lot but only buy local as I figure I got lucky on the last time I bought remote so no need to chance another one. The other place I use primarily is offer up (free app on phone) which has been really good for both buyin ... and even better for sellin. I dont do craigslist and never touch ebay or paypal bs.

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
I've sold a fair share on FB, Clinton and eBay. They all have their pros and cons. Good luck on getting tting some new glass!

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
Well shit. Passin on a good deal aint my thing so I clicked an offer up post and offer'ed him up 350 for his 17-40 just to see if the poor bastard would take it.

He did.

I like it, sits well with the 24-105

Attachments

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
Sounds like you're hooked now. Curious to see what else you wind up chasing for glass.

Stick, you ever play with the super wide sigma offerings? I know you usually don't go much more extreme than 35.

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
Matt - I had the rokinon 14 and it was fun when pointed straight up in the dark but otherwise wasnt my thing. I tried but getting into the whole spherical thingy isnt for me. I do want to go long lens again as the one I had was ok, but old and too slow for my camera and the focus. I borrowed a friends Tamron 150-600 last weekend and it is a game changer. Little hazy on outside corners but it does pull in a bird well

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
Funny how so many people were leaving Canon for Sony a few years ago and are now realizing that was a mistake. There is a guy in town that is a Sigma Pro and it's always interesting to see what gear he's using. He's a big fan of the R5

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
Funny how so many people were leaving Canon for Sony a few years ago and are now realizing that was a mistake. There is a guy in town that is a Sigma Pro and it's always interesting to see what gear he's using. He's a big fan of the R5
I was a sony dude for a long time. Fact is they make a good product and the glass (carl zeiss) is exceptional. The issue with them is their software is garbage and complicated.

Admitting I am spoiled while still livin here in libberville as there are so many canon users that EF lens are easily and cheaply available. So much that one can buy and sell or trade them to find the ones you really like and still not lose a penny. Its become part of the fun actually. Only thing better will be filling my needs list and then moving away from anything seattle ... soon.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm happy to schlep the 17-40 and am at ease in trading pixels,to illustrate same.

LOVE that glass..................

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
I didnt doubt ya ... just expected more of the longer glass. The 24-105 is going for sale as it isnt really needed

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
Been a while since this chatter box squawked.

Not surprisin',you dudes were correct - the 17-40 has become a staple. Thought I would miss the 24-105 but it has been a non event. I did get too much money for it which seems about the norm around these parts (grin) so I opted to use the funds for long glass again. Couldn't find a 100-400 that wasn't beat beyond the abuse I would normally give so I ended up with a Tamron 150-600. Luggin this bohemoth is a learning curve but sticking with it as the range is beyond insane and pic quality is better than thought (just need to get out for some better opportunities). I wanted to stick with Canon "L" lens but some poor bastard was hungry and gave him far less for the Tamzooka than I shoulda.

Always glad to help one in need, even if the need is me :) In Montana this weekend so taking the drone and a lens with me. Time to finally put some pixels up next week.

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
still much learning but I am getting there slowly. completely botched the background on the birds.......ugh

moon.png

pair.png