data-csrf="1713507052,953e247e2c0ef5a8694638463434ad67" CDS | As Real As It Gets

CDS

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
Not horrid, but the dials spin pretty easily if rubbing against your pack. Definitely lower profile than M1's, but M1's seem to have more positive clicks. Pappy's gig looks promising...

RTA48

Jan 29, 2013
Houston
I've ran them, and like 16 bore said the turrets move pretty damn easy. On mine I had 1 revolution and that was limiting. I'm sure that could be altered but IMO the M1's just offer so much more.

JCM

Jan 8, 2013
M1's are more positive on the clicks, give you a reference for 0 without limiting to one spin, and are a lot easier to read.

I had to play with a CDS to be fair this year and couldn't stand how easy it moved especially with no zero-stop. I did the DIY zero stop on the generic dial and probably didn't drill the bearing hole quite deep enough...but it made the clicks MUCH more positive. Hunted it pretty hard this season and never had it move, but feel it would have without the bearing. I'll play with it a bit more this spring but my conclusion so far is:

1. I'd not use it without a zero stop
2. I'd not use it with anything other than a generic dial
3. It would be worth it to have the generic dial marked at every MOA

Still believe M1's give you a lot more for less unless profile is a big issue.

eddybo

Mar 4, 2011
Big Stick said:
CDS is a poor choice for everything................
They are not to bad for young kids or women. My wife cannot keep up with how many turns she has put on the damn dial to save her life. Since she is getting prone to grabbing any of my chit and shooting it I am having to get more stuff with ZSs.

Heard some guns popping off yesterday went outside and the wench was shooting a little gun I built her, which was cool. the fact she was shooting the ammo from my gun was not. Especially when she saw me coming and tried to eject a loaded round dumping powder in the action. There is a reason why I write that chit on those ammo boxes.

eddybo

Mar 4, 2011
Rod Builder said:
What was she doing out of the kitchen?
She used a fingernail file to saw through the chain. She is in there now makin me a sammich :)

TWR

Feb 27, 2009
Oklahoma
A side note, I sent a scope in for M1's last week, it arrived today and I got a call saying they would fix it tomorrow and ship back by Wednesday. Now's a good time to send one in, they're a little slow.

Wader

Feb 11, 2008
SW Washington
I don't own bunches of either CDS or M1's, but on one of my CDS turrets, after you dial up about 6 or so, the witness mark on the dial doesn't line up with the marks on the scope. So unless you're counting clicks (who wants to do that?), you don't know if you're at 6.25 or 6.5 because the mark is right in between.

Never had that happen with a M1.

eddybo

Mar 4, 2011
Big Stick said:
I've never had 'em linger on anything..............
There used to be a guy that worked there named Jason Rice. Not sure if he is still there because it has been a long time, but he would take charge of my repairs for me and walk it through. He always had them back in the mail withing 24 hours, usually the same day they arrived there.

Apr 3, 2010
Sent in an old Vari x ii 3-9 and a VX3 1.75-6 for M1s about 2 weeks ago. Had them back in less than two weeks. Never put one on a older Vari x ii. Anxious to see how it does.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Seem to remember Jason leaving for benchmade, but I'm not sure where I learnt that.

He was in charge of the first couple scopes I sent that way, and after he left there were all kinds of fuck ups for a while. Of course they made all the fuck ups right, but it was kind of weird.

Bloodworks

Mar 9, 2011
The only reason I have a CDS is for scabbard use and it's gotta be taped. They move easily if not secured but M1's hang in scabbards like glue.

Bloodworks

Mar 9, 2011
I've oft wished for a pistol in hand to shoot the bastards out from under me. A good one makes life easy but my luck tends to run towards those suited for making glue and dog food.

eddybo

Mar 4, 2011
Big Stick said:
I only gots (1) word for a horse.

"Pull!"...............(grin)
If and when it happens, if the video is not posted I will be pissed. :)

BTW what will you be shooting at the first ever equine trap shoot?

noodlz

Dec 6, 2011
Painting the fucker with gas mixed with packing peanuts and 12ga flares would be quite the show at night.

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
eddybo said:
Big Stick said:
I only gots (1) word for a horse.

"Pull!"...............(grin)
If and when it happens, if the video is not posted I will be pissed. :)

BTW [color:#CC0000]what will you be shooting at the first ever equine trap shoot?[/color]
A tracer flinging "real-thing" full-auto BAR seems like it'd be just about right.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Serious points awarded for the BAR mention,as it'd add alotta panache to an already High Brow affair...............

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
Trying to cypher the rules and accepted practice here. If one runs out of full-sized equines and needs to throw Shetlands, should one be swapping to a full auto M-1 carbine, a tommy gun, or just allow the BAR to over-penetrate.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Seen them boolits Tuesday in Los Anchoritos for $.10 and have shot Bajillions of 'em in krunchentickers and even Mini's.

"Sprinkle" would be welcomed...though all Mini's have the setting as a default.................(grin)

Wader

Feb 11, 2008
SW Washington
Big Stick said:
I'd be impressed,if someone hates horses more than I...................(grin)
Oh man--you have no idea how much I hate horses. My daughter is totally into them. I love her and am supportive of her interest, but to sit and watch horse riding...it's my own personal hades.

I spent this entire past weekend (as in Thursday afternoon through Sunday morning) at a high school equestrian horse meet. My daughter rides for the local high school. Picture sitting in a barn from 7am to 10pm, watching horses. It's painful beyond description. At one point, after I ran the battery dead on my phone, I found myself staring at the ceiling, comparing the size of the boards.

By the time we got home on Sunday and I got the horse off-loaded and the trailer put away, I'd missed the first 40 minutes of the Super Bowl. And, my team was in it! Arghhh... and all for an animal that is more temperamental than a crazy woman!

But...it's for my kid. I have to admit, her horse addiction has positives: She has no time for boys. She and I end up riding in my truck together a lot, and much conversation happens on those rides. When she's riding, she's sober, in the company of good people, has all her clothes on, and is learning responsibility.

So, I guess it works out for good, but, I still think I hate horses like no other person I know.

Pappy

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I've a couple 6x42's with CDS dials on them, for scabbards and backpacking they are the cats ass, have run them out to 900 many times with no troubles. The fix for the dial turning easily is an o-ring slipped over the outside that will ride down around the bottom of the dial where it meets the scope. When you put the o-ring down around it make sure you roll the o-ring up and slide it down tight so it wants to roll towards the scope body and will stay in place and dial will not move with daily use including packs and scabbards, makes all the difference in the world.