data-csrf="1711669040,cf7bb890158d9bc4acba8ae2f73719b7" Cellular and Solar Trail Cameras | As Real As It Gets

Cellular and Solar Trail Cameras

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Odd request, but have any of you gents used trail cameras that run on solar and can send pics via cell signal to an app or email?

We don't have a cell signal where I hunt, but I'm going to use some of these cameras at a small storage facility that I own to help keep an eye on things.

We don't pay for internet or power at the facility, so I need an option that will work via cell signal, and given my experience with most trail cameras, solar is the only way to keep one running for any length of time without constantly changing batteries.

Please tell me the pros and cons of any of these cameras that you've used.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 3, 2010
Bought one of the Tactacam Reveal X models that just came out. Have one of the previous versions which was super easy to setup. Verizon plan is quite low cost for them. Not sure if they have solar or not but at only $120 or so bucks, they are a smoking deal.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Cabin neighbor has a bunch that he uses as sort of a security system. Believe he has them rigged to a single car battery and a solar panel that keeps the battery charged.

We have a solar panel charging a couple of deep cycle batteries that run led lights at our cabin. As long as you don't go crazy with loads, a car battery will power stuff for a long time even without a charging system. For a while I just kept 2 batteries in a rotation, charged them at home and swapped them out.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
As a related side note, if'n one is using a solar panel to charge a 12V battery, it would be wise to use a simple in-line charge controller to keep from boiling/overloading the battery from panel output above 14V on sunny days which may result in an early dead battery or worse. Have long used a Flexcharge PV7D for our poultry fence energizer and another for the tractor battery tender. They have the one-line wiring diagram printed on them, they're potted (sealed) for outdoor installation, 7 amps will cover the panel application and they're relatively bomb-proof. Solarseller.com is a good source for PV gizmos.

PV7D

Chris

Nov 20, 2007
Between the Mtns and the Plateau
I have a Tactacam Reveal that has been trouble free for the past 6 months. I got it at Walmart for $99. I have the $8 a month plan that will send 500 pics a month. With Litium batteries it is showing a 90% battery life since i put it out at the end of December.

They are hard to find because they are one of few products that seem to work as advertise. I use the Verizon network also.

Apr 3, 2010
  • Deleted by 30338
Show…

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I appreciate the feedback!

I never would've thought that I'd need trail cams and solar flood lights as a makeshift security system...yet here I am!

Apr 3, 2010
Put mine up on my KS place last week. Worked out there two days and all was good. Knew they were working though. Day after I left, got a pic of 20 head of cattle moving down the river. Called my neighbor and he immediately retrieved them and fixed his electric fence. Had it not been for the camera they would have been there a few days at a minimum. Getting lot of critter pics also.