data-csrf="1714330675,5c61dda6e50029fe5cec591d2d98def9" Central Montana Pics | As Real As It Gets

Central Montana Pics

MontanaMarine

Nov 17, 2007
Canyon Ferry, MT
In 1994 I bought 40 acres out here. Just seemed like a decent place to park some cash, at the time.

We went out recently and spent a couple days, hadn't been out there since 2000. This place is about 270 miles from where we live. Vicinity of Cat Creek, MT. NE of Winnett about 30 miles, near the Mussellshell River.

I've always liked this breaky kind of country.

A few more here, if you are interested:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v461/montanamarine/Cat%20Creek/

MontanaMarine

Nov 17, 2007
Canyon Ferry, MT
It's pretty cool terrain. I can see how back in the day, outlaws could hide out for a good while in it.

Muleys, whitetail, turkey. I've seen elk out here too. Wasn't really expecting to see them this far east.

Steelhead

Nov 17, 2007
Here
Man, that has go to be fun country to hunt. Can't fathom climbing without pushing bush, would be nice.

1akhunter

Nov 19, 2007
lower part of Nishlik lake has breaks in it like that, always enjoyed chousing bou in the hollers. Lots of fun.

don't see how you could go wrong owning a chunk of that Shane.

How's property taxes there are they steep?

MontanaMarine

Nov 17, 2007
Canyon Ferry, MT
For this undeveloped 40 acre piece, it's $240/year. Was only about $120 back when I bought it. The county has put a lot of work into the roads though, so can't complain. They've put in a lot a big 6' culverts to prevent washouts, and lots of gravel. It was basically a two-track dirt road, back in '94.

MontanaMarine

Nov 17, 2007
Canyon Ferry, MT
I'm not hunting this year.

Next year I'll probably put together some lightweight kit and get up high, away from the roads and four-wheeler trails, and spend a couple days at a time, looking for a spectacular example of a mule deer. I'd happily pass on anything that isn't enormous, because I'm not really a big venison fan, despite it being a staple in my diet as a kid.

toltecgriz

Nov 17, 2007
On the Santa Fe Trail
I used to know of some guys who hunted the Missouri Breaks off Ft. Peck by loading horses on a big party barge and cruising the lake glassing for big muleys, then went ashore mounted. Either a great idea or a major wreck waiting to happen, but it sounds like fun.

1akhunter

Nov 19, 2007
MontanaMarine said:
For this undeveloped 40 acre piece, it's $240/year. Was only about $120 back when I bought it. The county has put a lot of work into the roads though, so can't complain. They've put in a lot a big 6' culverts to prevent washouts, and lots of gravel. It was basically a two-track dirt road, back in '94.
I've got a 1/2 acre parcel up here that I paid $400 on property tax last year. Value is worth between 32 and 40K

Have 100 acres in MO that's worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 250-350K property tax for a year is $104.

Paid over 12K in property tax last year, freaking borough!

MontanaMarine

Nov 17, 2007
Canyon Ferry, MT
Property tax really pisses me off. None of us really "own" shit. The state owns it all. We just buy the rights to exclusive use of the land, as long as we pay whatever is levied upon us by the state, for that priveledge. All this crap about a "free country", what a fucking sham.....

MontanaMarine

Nov 17, 2007
Canyon Ferry, MT
Good to see you here too Bob.

You're right on the money. Our property is about 45 miles north of Melstone, and about 10 miles north of Mosby, on the west side of the Mussellshell River.

MontanaMarine

Nov 17, 2007
Canyon Ferry, MT
The pics don't really do justice to the terrain. Although not "extreme" , it's not a place you'd want to walk around in on a dark night. A lot of deathtraps. Deep, steep, cut banks, and dry washes. In a lot of places, you could shoot something within 100 yards, and have to walk a mile, to get to it.

Mac84

Nov 20, 2007
Holy shit. that sounds like an ass raping. the taxes that is.

Nice pics Shane.