data-csrf="1714092942,92a8d5ef9202783e2bcd9d0b947f9f30" Christensen Ranger 22 | As Real As It Gets

Christensen Ranger 22

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Christensen's new .22 bolt gun is listed in the Cabela's/Bass Pro ad, due to start on Aug 8th, but I had my doubts they'd actually have any in stock. I stopped by Bass Pro this afternoon, on a whim, and I was pleasantly surprised to spot one in the rack. After a quick fondle, I decided it needed to come home with me.

First impressions are positive:
-- It sure is light and handy! It weighs 5# 2 oz, bare, and an even 6# with a Leupold 2-7x rimfire with Vortex Pro Series rings.
-- The stock feels good, has a high comb, double-palm swell, and mostly vertical grip. The butt plate is kind of squishy, like all Limbsavers, but it's not sticky.
-- The trigger is truly exceptional! It's not match-trigger light, like an Anshutz, but it has an amazing trigger for a hunting rifle.
-- It takes 10/22 magazines, and the particular mag it came with is an actual, Ruger factory magazine (10-rounder). It does not drop free, when you hit the release lever; it's kind of a 2-handed operation...the trigger finger hits the lever, and the other hand plucks the magazine.

If it shoots as well as my Tikka TX-1, the Tikka might need a new home.

Last edited:

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I got an email from Davidson's today, saying that they were in stock.

I clicked the link less than 5 minutes after I got the email and they were already sold out.

I'll be stopping by my local Bass Pro tomorrow to see if they actually have one...I've been leery of the grip since it looks rather swept back, but now you've got me thinking....

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I shot the new Christensen Ranger, today, side-by-side with the Tikka TX-1. My observations:
-- The Ranger shoots well, as well as the Tikka with many of the same types of ammo. They both shoot really well.

-- The feeding on the Ranger isn't nearly as smooth as the TX-1, though, and the extraction/ejection requires a firm flick of the bolt to get the empties to clear the action on the Christensen. If you're lazy on working the bolt, the empty drops on top of the magazine and causes a jam. I hope this smooths out with some more use, because it's pretty annoying.

-- The threaded portion of the Christensen muzzle is LONG. There's about a 1/4" gap, after screwing the suppressor on all the way. There's a gap on the Tikka, as well, but it's only an 1/8-inch, or so. By comparison, the suppressor screws up tight on my Tactical Solutions 10/22 barrel. I'll have to look for a spacer/adaptor, or something, for the two bolt guns. Any ideas?

-- The trigger on the Christensen is amazing, better than the Tikka trigger...which is no slouch.

-- The Ranger is lighter than the TX-1, and feels much more handy. The Tikka stock has a chunky feel to it, compared to the Christensen.

-- The TX-1 action has a more solid feel to it, though, and it feeds MUCH smoother...even with the fugly Tikka magazine.

-- The Limbsaver butt pad on the Christensen stays put on my shoulder. The Tikka buttplate slips and slides around quite a bit. I never noticed it before shooting the Ranger, but I sure do now.

Last edited:

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Very interesting! Thanks for the report. A truly light Vudoo is never happening, so this is potentially filling a critical niche.

Last edited:

7mmMato2

Oct 7, 2019
Is the Ranger a 700 Foot Print? I thought I read that somewhere but cannot find it now. My Tikka shoots damn good as well. But it wont feed the ammo it likes best. SK Standard Plus. It jams damn near everytime on the 5th or 6th round. Everything else I have tried feeds perfectly in it. It was shooting CCI Standard Velocity really well until the last 4 bricks I bought shoot like shit. So Im looking for some different ammo. The Ranger looks enticing may have to check one out.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
No, the Ranger does not have a 700 foot print. The Ranger action is a little longer than a 700 SA, but the distance between the action screws is shorter. I haven't taken the action out of the stock, to get any further details, but the Ranger is definitely doesn't not share the 700 foot print.

Christensen Ranger side-by-side with a 700 SA:

The two actions stacked on top of one-another:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7mmMato2

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Some more pictures...

Muzzle threads: TacSol 10/22 barrel (top), Tikka TX-1 (middle), Christensen Ranger (bottom)

Suppressor installed on the Ranger, screwed on all the way.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I have 3 TacSol barrels and all of them have short threads on the muzzle. My suppressor has threads that run deeper than the threads on the barrels and I have to clean the threads to remove build up if I use the can on different barrels. You may just have to clean the threads to make it work without spacers on the other guns.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Checked with the local Bass Pro's and no joy to be found...

I'll be adding one of these to the herd before long though...for testing purposes....or something like that...

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I'm anxious to hear the reports on these.

If I could see one in the flesh I'd probably grab one. the weight is nice and I love the Ruger mags but I'm apprehensive about the stock ergos.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Well, if all goes according to plan, mine should be here in a couple of weeks.

Fingers crossed that Sportsman's Warehouse is actually getting them...

7mmMato2

Oct 7, 2019
No, the Ranger does not have a 700 foot print. The Ranger action is a little longer than a 700 SA, but the distance between the action screws is shorter. I haven't taken the action out of the stock, to get any further details, but the Ranger is definitely doesn't not share the 700 foot print.

Christensen Ranger side-by-side with a 700 SA:

The two actions stacked on top of one-another:
Thanks Too bad it would of been nice if they were.

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
I hope CA sells enough of them to offer magnum rimfires as well.

On a side note, can I please just have a Montana 22LR/22Mag that feeds 8-12 rounds from the stern ala Nylon 66? PLEASE!!!! No fucking scallop in the starboard side either.

Reactions: Rolltide

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Unfortunately, my new 22 is headed back to Christensen. I took it to the range again, and the feeding issues are just too much to overlook. I emailed Christensen and described the problems, complete with pictures. They replied the following day, and sent me a FedEx label and return form without argument or further discussion. Shit happens, sometimes, but they seem willing to clean it up without adding drama or excuses. I can respect that.

Photos, for information purposes only...

Failure to eject.

If you don't fix the first one, before you try and run the bolt forward, one of two things happens...

#1 - The Double-feed

or

#2 - The Wedge - more difficult to clear, usually have to remove the magazine.

The Mystery - I'm not sure how this happens, exactly, but it happened twice.

Last Round - the last round regularly catches on the magazine and stays there. This malfucntion is the most minor, because the magazine has to come out anyway.

Again, I don't intend for my post to throw any shade on Christensen Arms or their new rimfire rifle. On the contrary, actually, I hope their customer service proves to be an example for others to follow, so I can brag on them a little more. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Impressive!

Given the 10/22 mag.

Vudoo's CRF is a straight mind fuck...which is better than "good".

Spring tension and relief,will cure your woes...............

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I took the new Christensen Ranger out today for its maiden range trip.

Before I dive into the performance at the range, I thought it might be useful to have a breakdown of the rifle.

As others have said, this rifle is light! 5.1 pounds without a scope!

The rifle has a unique feel, mostly because the stock is a scaled-down version of the Christensen Centerfire stocks. When I saw pictures of the rifle, I didn’t think I’d like the swept-back grip, but in hand...it’s not that bad. I still prefer a more vertical grip, but this one is useable.
T
he rifle comes with a TriggerTech Field trigger. While I absolutely love the TriggerTech Diamond, the Field is useable but heavier than I prefer. The trigger will be replaced with a TriggerTech Diamond very soon. The current weight is about 2.5 lbs...as light as it will go. That weight wouldn’t be so bad if the rifle weighed more. As it is, it’s heavier than I like it.

The fit and finish on the stock, action, and barrel is as good as I’ve seen from any factory rifle available. The carbon barrel is something I’ve always liked and this one looks great. At 18”, it will be perfect once my stamp comes in and I can put a suppressor on it.

The action looks good and comes with a zero MOA rail, but the bolt is very...minimal...almost toy-like. One odd thing though, the trigger guard is polymer...

The action uses Ruger rotary 10/22 magazines and the stock has cutouts on both sides, which makes it easy to pull the magazines out.

I had a hard time deciding on a scope, and don’t know if I’ll change what’s on there now...but I will say the current scope performed well today.

I had a Leupold Mark AR 6-18 on another rifle and decided to use it for the time being. This little scope has been reliable and I felt it would be a good fit for the Ranger. The Leupold is lightweight, bright, and sits low due to its 40mm adjustable objective. This really helps when you don’t have an adjustable cheekpiece.
I put a Harris S-BRM 6 - 9-inch bipod with notched legs on the front sling swivel to complete the package. With the scope and bipod added to the rifle, it weights 6.8 lbs, ready to shoot.

I’m a huge fan of the Ruger rotary magazines and have a bunch of them. The Ranger using them made this rifle even more appealing to me.
When I went to the range today, I took over 20 magazines, so I could load them all and then just shoot. No breaks to load mags...just drop the empty mag and slam another one home!

When I put targets out, I only put them at 50, 100, and 200 yards. I felt confident I could get it on paper quickly. After a few rounds at a leftover target at 25 yards, I started to put the rifle through it’s paces.

Chambering the first round, I noticed that the bolt does not run very smoothly. It’s almost like a 3 step process.
1 - You push the bolt until it hits the rim and then it stops.
2 - Next, you push harder and the round finally jumps out of the magazine and starts into the chamber.
3 - The third push chambers the round and you almost feel the bullet engage the rifling when you close the bolt...or at least that’s what it reminds me of.

The rifle shot well and I’m sure will shoot even better once I lot test it. Old SK Standard and old SK Rifle Match produced 5 and 10 shot groups at a little over 1/2” at 50 yards and just over an inch at 100 yards.

I didn’t have any ejection issues with the rifle, which I’ve read so much about, but I did have an ongoing and aggravating issue throughout the day. The magazines seem to set too low on the action to feed consistently. Sometimes when closing the bolt, the round will begin to go forward only to hit the mouth of the chamber and then become damaged when you try to close the bolt with the second shove.

Other times, the bolt will glide right over the top round in the magazine, resulting in a dry fire. This happened consistently, with every magazine I own, as well as ones that other guys who were at the range let me try from their KIDD and TacSol rifles.

Often, a magazine would start out with a few rounds chambering without any problems, only to have the other issues pop up throughout the rest of the magazine.

One other thing to note, the rifle shaves lead on every bullet that actually makes it into the chamber.

I’m going to try a few things and see if I can get the magazines to seat into the action without dropping down. They don’t go far, just enough to create the problems.

If you push up on the magazine, the feeding issues get better. I’m hoping a thin piece of felt at the back of the mag well might do the trick.

Ultimately, I really like the rifle and at least 2 of the guys I shot with today will be buying their own Rangers.

The bolt needs some work as it isn’t smooth at all and feels almost toylike. While I can’t see a way to add mass to it, hopefully, some polishing can help smooth it out.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Hmmmmmm...appreciate your setting all cards on the table.

A S/S RAR in Plywood is certainly heavier,but they DO run.

Did they look down the road far enough,to at least make the barrel liner outta S/S?...............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Sooner or later...which means SOONER,it all catches up.(grin)

At least it isn't raining!.....................(grin)

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Update...

The rimfire arrived back from Christensen on Sept 9th. I've been out and about, so I haven't had a chance to shoot it, yet. I'll report back when I do.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I reckon mine's heading back next week. I've debated trying to trim a little off of the trigger guard to draw it tighter into the magwell. I wonder if that's what they did to yours?

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I shot mine for the first time, since getting it back from Christensen. It worked flawlessly, cycled and fed everything without a hitch. I'm happy.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I shot mine for the first time, since getting it back from Christensen. It worked flawlessly, cycled and fed everything without a hitch. I'm happy.
That's encouraging...so far, I haven't been able to get them on the phone...

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I submitted my "claim" via their website email process. I filled out their Repair Request form, and submitted all the information (including pictures) online. They got back to me in a couple of days with a return label and instructions for sending the rifle to them.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I just checked my e-mail chain, and I made my initial contact with Christensen Arms on Aug 12th and my rifle was back in my hands on Sept 9th. That's about a 4-week turn-around, including the shipping on both ends. I don't think I can bitch about that.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I just checked my e-mail chain, and I made my initial contact with Christensen Arms on Aug 12th and my rifle was back in my hands on Sept 9th. That's about a 4-week turn-around, including the shipping on both ends. I don't think I can bitch about that.
Nope, not bad at all. I'm filling the form out now...I guess I was too dense to even think about going through their website, thanks for the link!

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
It's lightweight, and shoots very well.

It takes common magazines, that don't protrude.

It's threaded for a suppressor.

It has a fantastic trigger. It's not an Anschutz, match-grade trigger. For a hunting rifle, though, it's pretty awesome.

I don't know if the barrel liner is stainless, or not (thought I read somewhere that it was?), but the rest of the rifle is comprised of weather resistant materials.

The Ranger 22 checks a lot of boxes, and for the price, it's cheaper than building up a 10/22 with custom parts (stock, barrel, trigger). So, all in all, yeah; I'd buy it again. I don't know that a rimfire bolt -action will ever be as much fun as a semi-auto .22, but that's a whole different question.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
It's lightweight, and shoots very well.

It takes common magazines, that don't protrude.

It's threaded for a suppressor.

It has a fantastic trigger. It's not an Anschutz, match-grade trigger. For a hunting rifle, though, it's pretty awesome.

I don't know if the barrel liner is stainless, or not (thought I read somewhere that it was?), but the rest of the rifle is comprised of weather resistant materials.

The Ranger 22 checks a lot of boxes, and for the price, it's cheaper than building up a 10/22 with custom parts (stock, barrel, trigger). So, all in all, yeah; I'd buy it again. I don't know that a rimfire bolt -action will ever be as much fun as a semi-auto .22, but that's a whole different question.
Thanks again for the recommendation on the website. Got the RMA today and it will go out tomorrow.

I'd add that once mine is sorted out, I can see it getting shot a lot more. Dan laid it out perfectly.

I've shot mine suppressed, in a silhouette match and schwacked some squirrels with it. The accuracy is good, the balance is great and the trigger ain't bad, though I've got a TT Diamond waiting to go in mine.

Several guys in the silhouette match were putting down their Anschutz and other rifles to check it out and shoot it.