data-csrf="1711720179,cceccfb9259e80e16c644cb1ce2c7bbf" Couple pics from this year | As Real As It Gets

Couple pics from this year

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Sheep trip #1 - no sheep. Was a quick trip, got in 3 days before opener, only to end up hunting for 2 days. Sometimes that's enough, but if there are no rams and the mountains are socked in, there isn't a lot you can do. Spent a few nights in this bivy, and I'm not 100% sure I like it. Went light and brought my super B quilt instead of a bag. That worked out OK, but could have tolerated a little more insulation.

Pack inside a garbage bag where it stayed most of the time after getting up top. And a cut off Nalgene because I forgot my coffee cup.

Don't have many other pictures as I got tired of taking pics of fog and rain. Managed to get my spotter wet on this trip too. Good times.

Last edited:

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Second sheep trip in a different spot....
MUCH nicer weather. Almost too hot. Didn't see a single ram, the only two sheep I saw were far enough away that I'd run out of time before I ever got to them. So, no sheep for me this year.

Lucked out and found water up high, so didn't have to haul it.

Wind was absolutely nuking up top. To the point that I gave up glassing as I was very concerned about getting blown off a cliff. Right here, just below the peak, it was much nicer... maybe 30mph.

Just random mountain shot.

Favorite new piece of gear this year. https://seatosummitusa.com/products/pocket-shower Folds up to just bigger than a deck of cards, and supposedly will do a 7 minute shower. Heat up some water with the jetboil, hang it up, and enjoy not smelling like you've been hiking up a hill for weeks.

Reactions: Painless

rundmc

Aug 31, 2019
Sounds like your first trip was similar to the entirety of mine with regards to weather. We stuck it out for 9 days and I put my brother in law on a ram day 8. The rain didn't quit the whole time and I don't think I've ever had wetter feet. The clouds lifted long enough for us to get up high and spot this one. I'll take luck over skill any day of the week...

IMG_6795.JPG
IMG_6802.jpg

Reactions: Painless