data-csrf="1714332937,eabc7bc642f29d1a07143ebbdccc9682" CTR + lil’bitch lei-ing down deer in Maui | As Real As It Gets

CTR + lil’bitch lei-ing down deer in Maui

WaTF?

Jul 21, 2021
Got a last minute invite from my brother for a quick bonsai trip over to Maui. Outfitter buddy of his wanted us to come out and shoot some does… I believe my answer was something in the neighborhood of “Hell yeah I’ll go!”

Didn’t know exactly what I was getting into… but figured the 20” 6 Creed (1-8” Benchmark, Rem Sporter dupe) in a CTR stock and 2-12 Helos running factory 103s would be perfect for100 lb deer. Only caught one 103, in over a dozen deer… and that one went stern to stem on a runner at about 3 bills. I was impressed (once again) with the entire rig, as were the guides and certainly the deer.

Helos was the only scope that was still sighted in after the flight (vs. two VX6s,. I was SHOCKED)! It was the perfect glass for the job.

Never shot the 10 rounder dry… but shot it well past 3 rounds several times. It was a fucking HOOT, and I can’t wait to go back.

IMG_0970.jpeg

IMG_3062.jpeg

IMG_3060.jpeg

IMG_3054.jpeg

IMG_3039.jpeg

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
That looks like a hell of a lot of fun!

How are you liking the 103 vs the 105 to 108 gr match bullets?

WaTF?

Jul 21, 2021
I’ve shot a pile of 105s out of that rifle, and actually had some with me just in case I needed a little tougher bullet.

The 108 shoots like a champ too. I’ve had two of them stop in coyotes though, so I’m a little leery of shooting them at bigger stuff. I know other guys use them with great success.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I've not had a 108 exit on a deer yet, even with rib shots, not that its mattered though.

Which 105 did you take for backup?

WaTF?

Jul 21, 2021
105 Horn HPBT. Both the factory 103 load and my 105 load are clocking about 2950 out of the 20” spout.

I run them interchangeably with the factory 103 loads, don’t even change the setting in the Sigs because the dope is the same to 1/2 mile.

WaTF?

Jul 21, 2021
Agreed on the 105 HPBT. I’ve only got a couple thousand left.

Nice to have the factory load easy-button with the 103s though.

WaTF?

Jul 21, 2021
I had a big coyote stop a 108 broadside at about 80 yards. Blew about 10’ of intestines out his corn-hole…. but no exit wound.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I've used the 108 in my 6 creed at about 2950 on quite a few deer. Closest was probably 150-160 yards, furthest was 435 yards. A bunch in between and still no exit. They have killed fine but seem soft. I've shot through some with the 88 eld out of a 22 creed. So it seems odd but that's how it's worked out.

WaTF?

Jul 21, 2021
I’ve referred to them as the 108 Vmax.

They absolutely hammer coyotes… I can’t remember shooting a dog that didn’t go straight down, in a fair sample size.

Every time I shoot a rock chuck with one I almost feel bad… once the laughter wears off. Crazy how well they turn a 5lb critter into a flying wet puzzle.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Agreed. I'd like to get in on a hunt, fish, recreation trip on one of the islands.

Went to the big island once for vacation with the fam and a fishing trip and had a blast.

WaTF?

Jul 21, 2021
If y’all want some info on it, shoot me a PM. It’s more than reasonable.

I shot 13 deer in two days, they were all well taken care of and the meat either went home with us, or was donated locally.

WaTF?

Jul 21, 2021
Couple thoughts on the Athlon Helos BTR 2-12 (mil)…..

It’s a bad ass little piece of glass. The illumination is great in lower light, and when you’ve got the x’s turned down. I killed 5 deer inside about 125 yards (4 of which were running) under 30 seconds, with the scope cranked down to 4x…. and several in the 300-350 range with the mag pegged at 12x. The dot combined with the mil reticle was great for shooting moving deer.

It’s tough too. Stayed dead nuts sighted in for the flight. I landed on it pretty hard once when a cut-bank gave out, and had to clean red mud out of several places.

I spun the turrets for some shots, and used the windshield for some others. I’d attribute none of the misses to anything but my rusty shooting.

I’ve got some solid scopes around the house, and I can’t think of one that would have worked better for this application.

IMG_3061.jpeg

ridgeline

Mar 22, 2009
australia
There be some carnage lay'd down Sir. Fun time filling freezers, Axis deer is without a doubt my most favorite venison.

Agree on all counts the "Lit Bitch" fucking rocks. I've a few and pards are slicking them up also... Thank you Larry. Again...grin

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The 'Horn and I have been shooting all week and obviously talking/shooting glass,for the duration. It is fascinating to both of us,how poor of a job Manufacturers do,in regards to same. I've never heard him laugh so fucking hard as yesterday,while I was shooting yet another failed TTT with my Reupold MK5 HD 3.6-18x,that the elevation turret was a Spinal Tap and is in fact 11 Mil's per revolution. How fucking STUPID is that?!?

The BTR Gen2 2-12x Mil/Mil simply STEALS The Show for mechanics and intuitive lay out. The $2000 Reupold has no illumination and can't track or repeat to save it's soul. The $2000 Trijicon 1-8x Credo HX doesn't even have a zero stop. On and on it goes.

For down and dirty killing,it stands alone................

WaTF?

Jul 21, 2021
I have that same Mk5 (3.8-18) in the stable, and actually had it mounted up for this hunt. Went to the range the week before we left, and after three or four shots it was obvious that I couldn’t trust it.

Had the old FVSR along, so I poached the 2-12 off of it. Bolted it to the Creed, fired one round, measured and dialed the appropriate correction, fired another round dead into the middle of the dot at 100. Put four more inside the one inch dot and called it good.

The Leupold will get tripped ASAMF’NP.

IMG_2987.jpeg

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The 'Horn had a good idea yesterday,on this most recent Reupold failed TTT and made mention to keep the erector static and beat on zoom selection alone. I did so and itpoured 3 shots into one another. Then I hit the erector for (2) more rounds and it went Hen Shit. Keep in mind that this is at 50 fucking yards.

Amazingly fucking shitty "results".................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Someday maybe I'll file down my caveman brow and join the MIL/FFP crowd. Until then, I sure do like the 2.5-10x32/42 NXS or 3-10x42 SHV and a home-made zero-stop.

Base 10 EVERYTHING,is simplistic beauty. The ability to apply the reticle as per whim,is beyond "soothing",whether i's weather,movers or a mood.(grin)

NightFarce has long had mechanics whooped,but have boldly missed reticles and feature sets as a whole. A simplistic 6x MQ is a more complete machine,as well as being more forgiving and having wayyyyyyyy more erector travel.

As the NX8 2.5-20x goes,it's low power reticle is fucking useless,but at least it has illumination to bail it out. The 2-12's reticle at 2x,will flat kill shit dead and it's illumination is VASTLY fucking superior. Locking turrets are fucking soothing,their zero stop is exceedingly robust and they have lotsa erector travel.

Often folks are quick to say "glass!",but it don't really make a shit. MECHANICS are what matter most and having a reticle jive the erector ONLY on (1) magnification,is easily as fucking stupid as it sounds. The 'Horn made a good point yesterday,whether a pistol's front sight or the BTR Gen2's reticle covering the target,doesn't matter as that is GOOD news,because that is where the bullet is going.

I've some pards who were slow to see those advantages,as they had trouble on paper,trying to hold hard and sight SOUND rifles in. Like bold irons,I shoot the Gen2 with a 6 O'clock hold,if the reticle center covers a smaller surface area aiming point. I'd liken it to a Heine Straight Eight iron sight system. It's rather intuitive,to stack a dot,on a dot,or below a dot,as per whim.

Had (8) pards visit this last November To Remember and (6) listened in advance,toting the 2-12's along and the (2) who didn't,regretted same 15 minutes after they landed and I met them to go shoot. Fucking things are sensational for killing.............

WaTF?

Jul 21, 2021
Comforting to know that all bullets will land inside that dot, regardless of range. It ain’t the best for shooting tiny groups on paper, but it’s a stone cold killer on shit wearing fur.

Daytime bright illumination was a boon when shooting down into the shadows, through the wickets, at deer that are far more camouflage than they initially appear.

Ernestmug

Feb 27, 2024
  • Deleted by cwh
Show…

Ernestmug

Feb 27, 2024
  • Deleted by cwh
Show…

Ernestmug

Feb 27, 2024
  • Deleted by cwh
Show…