data-csrf="1711618838,8cf6d12c743e4cd5ee84087e1cdf54cf" Dan In AK...Confess.......... | As Real As It Gets

Dan In AK...Confess..........

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Here's mine.

Might load for it tonight,but am more concerned about Dredging Chrome. The Brownell 1-6x is shipping slow,though the 2-12x is never not tempting and I've a Reupold Mk4 M3 6x laying wait.

Am thinking there's a SAC barrel vise and shims in the Mail Pile,which would make pulling the spout,chopping it and getting rid of the rear sight bulge a breeze.................

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
I have the sac barrel vise and can attest it's a quality piece. I've popped multiple OEM Tikkas virgins with ease using a wheeler external action wrench, then swap shouldered prefits using their modular action wrench.

Once the initial factory farmer tight cherry is popped I swap shouldered prefits in 5 minutes flat.

I'd do it.

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Oh yeah, get a role of drywall tape from the hardware store (or Amazon or whatever the heck y'all do up there). Helps keep the bushings grippy without marring finish.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Here's mine...

I bought a closeout Trijicon, intended for an AR, but I snagged the M70 while the glass was in transit. The Credo HX has pretty generous eye relief, so I figured I'd try it on the new boomer.

She's a bit of a pig, at 9# 12oz. For comparison my Remington 375 H&H (M700 SPS, 22" w/ a McM Classic and Leupold 2.5-8x) is 8# 4oz.

I have a pile of ammo loaded up for the M700, already, so I should be able to give it a go this weekend.

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'll be curious to see how the Brownie MPO '6x pans out.

Forgot I ordered a Great Scott 'vise too.

The new Winnie 375 is .640" at 25",which is a nice surprise...............

Reactions: CaptArab

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Laminate stock weighs 39.5 ounces and is Hot Gun "bedded".

1pc bottom(alloy) and the KungFu Decelerator can't suck. Word on the street is,these were a 2012 SHOT Show Special?!?

Fucking Winchesters..............(grin)

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
both you booomers spill ur guts on the glass.

dan i threw that p4xi in a 1.93" height on the trainer 22. if the trijicon sucks let me know.

took me a couple night vision shoots to get sorted on the 2.26" height stuff.. before i used it at shorter ranges and it seemed ridiculous. there's definitely a place for it going forward.

my lower 1/3 T2 feels cramped when i flicked over to it a few days ago. gonna yank the scalarworks and maybe go with the KAC sky scraper. if only for drip and not practicality.

the Mock 12 is 1.37" straight NF rings and for a belly gun and smaller cheek piece stock (magpul CTR) i still prefer that setup. but with a B5 sopmod the Reptilia 1.54" height feels right.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
If I'd have known you were going to violate yours, I probably would have traded you. Haha!

It looks to be a lot lighter than my pig-beast.

I ordered a set of the SWFA rings for the Trijicon, but I wanted to get the scope further forward than their 3-screw construction would allow. Opted for a set of horizontal Warne Maximas, instead.

I've been looking at after-market stocks. I ordered a Hogue (I know, I know) hoping it would be a cheap but do-able option, but it's heavier and shittier than the factory Tupperware, so it's going back.

From online window shopping, it looks like Boyds, HS Precision, and maybe Bell and Carlson are reasonably-priced options. The HS and Boyds are both heavy. B&C says theirs is inletted for 1-pc bottom metal; mine has the 2-piece version. Not sure if that's a deal-breaker or not.

There's nothing available from Grayboe, AG Comp, or Manners. McMillan only offers their Supergrade and Pre-64 as fully-inletted options, $700 for painted and $830 for McSwirly. OUCH! I'll rock the factory Tupperware, for now.

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
i remember a few years back guys talking shit about using a pipe wrench to install a barrel. got about 10-12 kills on a pipe wrench spun up tikka 223.

besides looks, it's no thing.. and tikkas are square so wood blocks in a vise and ur golden. save the 150$ barrel vice for those concerned with looks.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A rather MAGICAL transformation,regarding balance and handling.

Browning used plenty of Thread Locker here.

Figured it was as good a time as any,to chase 6-48's.

Have 2pc #410605's on order,but found a Nightfarce 20 MOA rail,I had salted away. Pulled fasteners from a set of #49838 Reupold's and 50% of the heads,wouldn't drift the Nightfarce(neither for or aft). Weird.

While awaiting the Brownie MPO 1-6x,I went MK4 M3 6x.

Pretty NASTY Bitch................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Fucking Winchesters! Laughing!

The 270 Speer BTSP at mag length(3.610"),is jumping better than .100".

It'll still probably shoot...................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Winny shoots rather well. Can't fucking stand it,2-12x BTR Gen2 Mil/Mil going aboard.

Only load tried was 73grs of VarGay at 3.605" COAL and a Magnificent Leap to lands. Virgin W/W's,some of which took a beating in Shipping.(grin)

I've seen far worse...............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Oh I fuck around all the time. Which reminds me,I need to slow down and order more reamers.

Couldn't fucking stand it,nor could the M3 reap a 20 MOA inclination 100yd zero(which is typical o the ilk).

Rolling out the door for Chrome and come-ups................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Shot the reticle to 650yds and DOPE is money to there.

Then chased Chrome.

Fairly fucking EPIC.

Need to tie up more Riggin'..................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Brownie arrived yesterday and though dubious and purchased as a lark,I'm thinking I actually like their 1-6x 24mm SFP Mil/Donut Bitch.

The boys arrive later today and I'll be curious to hear their thoughts. My guess is,the 2-12x BTR Gen2 will get the nod,but this thing has KILLER Illumination and I might be able to suffer a Milscale lineal SFP Reticle on a Boomer. I'd almost liken it akin to a Peep Sight,with magnification.

I'm thinking The 'Horn is gonna LOVE this reticle..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'll mount it up today. The Nightfarce 20 MOA rail will go away and Burris 2pc gets installed,with SWFA Low's. That will shave better than a pound.

One of the boys drew Spring '24 Unimak and will be schlepping the Winny there. He grooved on the Brownie 1-6x and I'm thinking it'll make for a Skookum parcel. I'll whistle 500 or so 270's through it for R&D and if it weathers same,I'll pass it along. My boss drew '23 Fall Kodiak and it will start there.

The Carbon Howie 6 ARC STOLE the show,so the Winny 375 didn't get any air time with the boys...............

Last edited: