data-csrf="1713241571,92e52e2a40d30363055ab4e30d47fbe2" 'Dan In Alaska' used stock results | As Real As It Gets

'Dan In Alaska' used stock results

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Dan, here's the end result of the project using your old LVSF stock. I rehabbed the inletting, added new pillars, did a two point bedding job and gave it a facelift with some battle ship grey, tan sponge dabs, black spider web and covered it with some RC airplane fuel resistant matte clear. Barrelled action is a like new '78 vintage 700 in 243W which has been in the back of my gun safe for years. With some vintage light weight Bushnell rings and this 2X8-36 scope on it, it's 7lbs/3.5oz. , ready to go. Lots more details, but there's the basics of the project.

Thanks, Dan! :)

Good shootin' -Al

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Al, what's the specific matte clear paint you're using?
It's Spray Max 2K matte clear. Our local RC shop has it and it's available on Amazon too.....tough stuff and it doesn't yellow with age like some of the epoxies can. I used to use 21st Century with good luck, too. They all seem to have good resistance to solvents but the Spray Max seems to be more chip resistant while still not being overly thick. I use a heat gun to warm up the stock before applying it....seems to work well. -Al

Reactions: dznnf7

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
That looks great, Al. You’ve definitely got some artistic skills to complement your mechanical aptitude. Thanks for the follow-up!

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
Do those stocks have a shell of cloth/resin in the forearm? They come up for sale cheap sometimes and I've entertained beltsanding one down to a normal sporter forearm, but wonder about grinding away all of the structure.

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Got to the range this morning ahead of the next few days nastiness. Winds from the 2 o'clock and gusty from 14-18 or a bit more....the flags never stopped moving. Loaded the Lapua cases with WW760 and a Nosler 70 BTip @ .010 off the lands. While not always the ultimate powder in the 243W's, over the years 760 has proven to be a solid performer in any 243W that's got anything to show me. Could have cheated and plopped some of my BR bullets in there ;) but the Nosler 70 BTips have always shown me good accuracy and are pretty forgiving in any factory barrel I've tried them in. Primers were Fed. standard 210's.

Bore sighted at 100 and with the w/e adjustments centered, the first shot from a clean barrel was 2" high and 1" right....another plus for properly aligned/bedded bases and rings. ;) Fired four more to put a bit of temp in the barrel and then got right to the "...rat killin' ", as The Duke would say. Groups were three shots and no extra time was allowed between shots for cooling of the sporter barrel...when the flags said "Shoot!", I shot.

Over 3 grs. of powder changes, the average group size of seven 3 shot groups was .425 with the largest being the single .664 and two small ones of .395 and .360. Four of the seven groups measured .502, .515, .536 and .523. Pretty solid consistency for a sporter barrel hunting rifle. There's a hint of vertical in all the groups but you can see it come out as the powder charge increases...a sign of good bedding and a decent barrel. A slightly faster powder like Re15 or N135 and/or a bit of juggling with seating depth will bring that around.

Next trip out, I'll evaluate some 90 gr. Partitions as it's main purpose is a combination deer/antelope rig that can double as a solid coyote whacker with the same load and zero.

Good shootin' -Al

Reactions: Rastus

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I smoked a truckload of woodchucks with the 70 BT from a 243AI 25-ish years ago. Great combo back when laser rangefinders and dial scopes both sucked!

Reactions: Al Nyhus