data-csrf="1711647016,7f67924b8005b2e3eb8935aebc703b98" Determining headspace on AR barrel | As Real As It Gets

Determining headspace on AR barrel

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Looking to pick up a 300 blackout barrel for a S&G toy. I intend to assemble the upper myself, how do you check/verify headspace? I see barrels offered with bolts and some without. What's the best option?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Really the only way to change what you've got,would be to swap bolt heads.

AR's are far more forgiving than most...you'll be fine..............

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Any barrel brands to stay away from? I see prices are all over the place.
I need minute of coyote at 200 accuracy supersonic and the same accuracy at 100 subsonic.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
It'd probably be difficult to score a spout from anyone,that wouldn't do that.

You might count on it being undergassed and opening the gas port up,then going to an adjustable block,in order to do what you wish.

I'd rather have a good 223...............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
You can launch anything Subsonic,if you wish.

I'd rather 1-7" 221 Fireball with 75 A-Max...than Whisper anything................

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
Maryland, wishing it was TX
Big Stick said:
You can launch anything Subsonic,if you wish.
the point of blackout is subsonics that reliably cycle the action. very spotty as to whether that works with essentially every other caliber out there, at least with the ease that blackout provides.

hangunnr, not sure what length you're looking for but ballistic advantage has their stainless premium ('hanson' profile) on sale for under 2 bills in 10.3". If you're going with a 16", they have one of those too.

if you're looking to go subsonic, stick with pistol gas, even with a 16" tube. get an SLR adjustable block and you'll be golden.

running em with a can?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeBh8-xL4TQ

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Physics is Physics and applies to all chamberings.

The Whisper's Swan Song,was at the time of inception,it's focus was on the best BC's available,beings all had to heed the Speed Limit to preclude The Crack. If you can only go so fast(Subsonic),then aero form really starts to pay dividends.

Shortening the gas tube,will enable one to tap gas of greater pressure,the closer to the chamber you get. That will enable sedate powder volumes of modest pressure,to generate enough gas to cycle Subs and an adjustable block in conjunction,will slow the cyclic rate of greater gas volumes,with ammo of far greater fortitude.

Asking a static port size,to capably juggle both ends of that spectrum,isn't a reality. That without suffering F/F woes on the Sub end and really beating the fuck outta things on the Supersonic end.

There is nothing inherently "magical" in the .308" bore size,that grants it more latitude in the spectrum,than say a .224".

I'd rather squirt 75A-Max Subsonic,than anything else,due a host of reasons and would rather shoot 'em Supersonic than a buncha others,for even more good reasons.

Pass the 221 Fireball 1-7"...............

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I went 30 cal so I can hunt with it here in flatlandia.

Yes, there will be a suppressor whenever it gets out of jail.

I went with a CMMG 16" 1-7 twist with a carbine gas system. A JP adjustable gas block seems to do just fine with sub and super sonic so far.

Just got the Timney trigger stuck in it last night. First impressions are positive.

First loads at 100 with some 125grBT went into about 3/4" with the shitty milspec trigger, should only get better with the new one. 200yd groups ran right around 2".

I still need to pick up a cantilever scope mount to get that scope another 3/4'" forward.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
The Ace with their pad gives a 13.5" lop.

I removed their pad and put this Rem 700 pad on it to get to a 14.25" lop. Not tacticool but it gives me the lop I need.

The screw holes don't line up perfectly but could be made to do so.

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
looks good man. one can only hope the HPA passes. be a whooooooole lotta cans on rigs in my future. components for a ti can are right around the 175-200 dollar mark. hour's work and your rifle got a lot quieter. (grin)

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
Big Stick said:
Physics is Physics and applies to all chamberings.

The Whisper's Swan Song,was at the time of inception,it's focus was on the best BC's available,beings all had to heed the Speed Limit to preclude The Crack. If you can only go so fast(Subsonic),then aero form really starts to pay dividends.

Shortening the gas tube,will enable one to tap gas of greater pressure,the closer to the chamber you get. That will enable sedate powder volumes of modest pressure,to generate enough gas to cycle Subs and an adjustable block in conjunction,will slow the cyclic rate of greater gas volumes,with ammo of far greater fortitude.

Asking a static port size,to capably juggle both ends of that spectrum,isn't a reality. That without suffering F/F woes on the Sub end and really beating the fuck outta things on the Supersonic end.

There is nothing inherently "magical" in the .308" bore size,that grants it more latitude in the spectrum,than say a .224".

I'd rather squirt 75A-Max Subsonic,than anything else,due a host of reasons and would rather shoot 'em Supersonic than a buncha others,for even more good reasons.

Pass the 221 Fireball 1-7"...............
my blackout serves two purposes; making people laugh at the range smacking 200-yard steel after a substantial wait for impact (without ear pro being necessary) and headshots on hooved pork at 100 and less. don't need the BC of 75-grain .224 projectiles, but the added energy retained by a 220-grain projectile traveling the same speed is appreciated.

it fills a niche for me, all i need it to do. :)

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
What's your 300blk setup look like Ferret?

Any experience with 6.5" barrels? My current setup is too long/heavy. I really want something like the new HoneyBadger setup that Q has been showing off....

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Armed Ferret said:
one can only hope the HPA passes.
Yeah, that needs to be passed. I know alot of guys are waiting to see what happens but I didn't want to get caught up in the rush if it does pass. I gotta believe the cans will be back ordered everywhere. Mine are sitting 20 miles from my house right now, might have to see f I can arrange a conjugal visit every now and then.....

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
J-Hon said:
What's your 300blk setup look like Ferret?
Thusly.

Any experience with 6.5" barrels? My current setup is too long/heavy. I really want something like the new HoneyBadger setup that Q has been showing off....
None personally though friends in other states have them and love them. 10.5 i the shortest i can go, MD requires 29" oal. Keeps kids safe and shit ya know.