data-csrf="1711652603,8f7799f15e26c35b4e865e11039c6fbb" dipping my toe in the bow pool | As Real As It Gets

dipping my toe in the bow pool

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
Had a Bowtech Guardian folow me home. Haven't ever hunted with a bow before, but have some dandy grown over apple orchard cover next door to my place. What do I need to know about arrow quality before I buy. Got buddies recommending Gold Tips, but am I really going to be able to tell the difference until I have a bit of practice under my belt?

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
I'm going Carbon Express Maxima Red and Slick Trick 100 Magnums. Not by choice, my bud said just shut up and do what I tell you.

Something about woven blah, blah, blah. They ain't aluminum so that's all I care to know. Bows are the most epic of skullfucks and somebody else can worry about the nuances.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Just make sure you get your spine right, there's a ton of quality arrows out there now.

Opinions will vary, but I've had the best luck with Gold Tip and Easton, but eventually stuck with Easton Axis since they were easier to find in the spine I needed.

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
Hey, if you ever make it to the 'Noke, I've got a box of factory 7 WSM 160 NAB's with your name of them. That is if you still have your Montana.

Nickel cases so you can leave them on the ground.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
16Bore said:
Hey, if you ever make it to the 'Noke, I've got a box of factory 7 WSM 160 NAB's with your name of them. That is if you still have your Montana.

Nickel cases so you can leave them on the ground.
Damn sure appreciate it, but that Montana is long gone...

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
I had one- wizzum Montana, that is- and just couldn't like it. Guess I'm beyond help. Now the 700/micky compact/shamwow, that ain't going anywhere.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
wolfman said:
Had a Bowtech Guardian folow me home. Haven't ever hunted with a bow before, but have some dandy grown over apple orchard cover next door to my place. What do I need to know about arrow quality before I buy. Got buddies recommending Gold Tips, but am I really going to be able to tell the difference until I have a bit of practice under my belt?
What's your draw length/weight?

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
That'll make things easy. You should be in an arrow weight everyone will have in stock.

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
zombie thread resurection. Have a couple of seasons under my belt. Still liking the Guardian for what I'm doing, but I'm thinking it's time to ditch the whisker biscuit and put a proper rest on. Nearest bow shop is a couple fo hours away, so I'm loking for something that I can bolt on and set up properly without a bunch of drama. Anyone have a recommendation?

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
Whisker biscuit is a great hunting rest, for the run gun hunter type, ie calling elk hunter. If you’re a stand hunter the post types sights are Very accurate.

ktnlocksmith

Apr 30, 2019
+1 on the biscuit being a great hunting rest. It is super reliable due to the simple design and lack of moving parts. It is inherently less accurate at extended ranges than drop away style rests, but it's pretty nice to be able to "set it and forget it" and bowhunting should be done at slam dunk ranges IMO.

That being said.... I've been running the Vaportrail Limbdriver Pro-V since they came out and I think it's the best of both worlds being a full capture drop away rest that has the cord running from the rest to the limb rather than the buss cable. You mount the rest, set center shot and knock height, then just tie the cord to the upper limb and remove all the slack. When you draw the bow, the limbs come together slightly which slacks the cord and allows the rest to lift up. When you release, the limbs return to their original position, the cord pulls tight and the rest drops away. Way more simple and reliable than the type of drop away that is operated by a cord tied into one of the buss cables IMO, plus you don't need a bow press to do the install.

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
Think I'm going to leave the biscuit on it for now. it's pretty clear that i just need to fling a ton of arrows. I finally set up a spot at the house where I can shoot. Sure is nice to be able to shoot whenever the whim strikes.