data-csrf="1714023075,faee93707b7651b1f6a478f4e6817404" Elk-ward bound | As Real As It Gets

Elk-ward bound

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Finishing up this rig for a pal's elk hunt. SA700, 24" Mag Sporter barrel contour, 1:10, McMillan Sako Hunter pattern BDL, alum. pillars and bedded with Pro Bed, tuned up factory trigger, Nikon Monarch 4-12 in Talley LW'S lapped and bedded. With my go-to recipe of Nosler 180 Accubonds over H4350, it shoots honest 3/8" three shot groups at 100 and will just wear out a 3" round target at 400. ;) With a 250 yd zero, it's a super simple DRT concept.

I've done quite a few of this blueprint for deer/elk rigs in 250 Savage AI, 257 Roberts AI, 7 WSM, 308 W and 300 WSM. They balance well with 22"-24" barrels and with medium Talley LW's the average guy can close his eyes, throw the gun up and be looking right down the scope when he opens his eyes. The little bit of cast off/cant on this stock really helps with this, too. I normally shorten up the LOP on the stocks to 13" and that makes a big difference. This one has a suppressor fitted to it for stand on his home place. Surprisingly, POI is within 1/2" with or w/o the suppresor. Silencer Central is a local company in my town so that's not a bad deal. ;)

Hope everyones season goes well...stay safe. :) -Al

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
Hey Al, I have one of those stocks waiting to go on a rig, and I'm curious how you go about shortening them up? Mine needs chopped, and as far as I can tell, the best way is to clamp the top of the barrel channel to the chop saw/ radial arm saw fence, since none of the other planes are straight.

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Hey Al, I have one of those stocks waiting to go on a rig, and I'm curious how you go about shortening them up? Mine needs chopped, and as far as I can tell, the best way is to clamp the top of the barrel channel to the chop saw/ radial arm saw fence, since none of the other planes are straight.
I used to use a fine blade hack saw and lightly score through the outer shell all the way around...then cutting the core is easy. Blocked it with a sanding block and all was well. Now, I do them on the mill with a low helix end mill designed for cutting carbon fiber. The mill has it's advantages but a clean hack saw cut works too.

I just did one today...should have snapped a pic. -Al

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
I used to use a fine blade hack saw and lightly score through the outer shell all the way around...then cutting the core is easy. Blocked it with a sanding block and all was well. Now, I do them on the mill with a low helix end mill designed for cutting carbon fiber. The mill has it's advantages but a clean hack saw cut works too.

I just did one today...should have snapped a pic. -Al
obliged

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Hey...I checked with a goombah that does them on his 10" miter saw. He squares things up with tapered door shims, etc. and uses a blade designed for cutting composite decking as the tooth count leaves a nice clean edge. I've seen the ones he's done and they are a perfect edge. -Al

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
They are easy to hate,due ring spacing alone...................(grin)
A Picatinny rail has many advantages, though I hate stuff over the port. I've made some one piece rails into two-piecers and that gets around that issue! ;)

Good shootin' -Al

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Serious rifle tinkerin' isn't for the 'bubble packers'! (y) -Al

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Yarded a scope home from work,that a pard had troubles with. After he explained WTF,I reckoned the glass was likely sound,although the ONLY one I've owned wasa POS right out of the gate.

Am slamming his LRHSi 4.5-18x G2 aboard The BMOTFP and will be curious to see how it shakes out. Threw 40MOA at it,which will crowd it's 25.5 Mil's of actual travel,but that don't aspook me.

The G2 reticle ain't my jam,but I'll shoot around it. Literally.(grin)

Am curious...despite the weather..................(grin)

Reactions: Al Nyhus

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
You certainly seem to be hip on the Helos. I've put LRTSIs on a couple of hunting rigs, and like them, but they are getting harder to find up here in Canukistan, especially with ilum, which I much prefer. What do I need to know about the Helos before I jump?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
You can use the same mounting system(ring height). 10yd parallax don't suck. Daylight BRIGHT illumination paints a pretty picture. Shorter length,don't hurt nothing.

All around it's quicker,faster and friendlier,while wearing better glass to boot..............