data-csrf="1713608693,7cc242059982a39ff31446da67581684" Factory offerings ?...... One and done ? | As Real As It Gets

Factory offerings ?...... One and done ?

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Who/what comes the closest for the best factory rifle and factory load for everything ?
I’m talking one rifle in one caliber and one factory load for everything except the big bears maybe ?
Just thinking out loud of what companies have come the closest ?
Just to clarify Points detracted if you say 30-06!

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
What a horrifying thought. ONE rifle and restricted to factory ammo.

But a Montana CM would probably be it.

Or maybe a 7/08 with mods to run....never mind. Factory ammo. 6.5 it is.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Gotta admit I’m not at all familiar with what factory ammo is available for much of anything. Just don’t use it….
Now if you’ll allow loading for it I could be happy with a Montana in 280ai if I was restricted to one.

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
A 6 creedmoor has a couple nice looking factory offerings in ammo and rifles. Maybe a waypoint and 108 elds.

for those who hunt bigger stuff a 6.5 PRC seems like a great way to go.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
My Montana 7mm-08 has been my mainstay. I hand load for it, but there are several decent factory loads. The precision hunter 150 eld-x is decent.

My Remington AWR in 7mm Rem mag was pretty good as well. I’ve since changed the stock, trigger, and hand load the ammo.

The 2020 Waypoint in 6.5 creedmoor would probably be a good one. I don’t own one, so couldn’t say for certain.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
If you are allowed to tinker and it were avaliable on the shelves, Montana in 6.5 creed.

Of the actually avaliable options tikka 6.5 for me.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
It's hard to argue against the 6.5 Creed. I think there are more factory ammo options and rifle varieties chambered for this particular cartridge than any others. Factory ammo is still pretty scarce, these days, but before the craziness started, I counted 29 different options for 6.5 CM ammo that were in-stock at Cabela's. I'd probably choose the Hornady 143 ELDX Precision Hunter ammo, for a do-all load.

I used 6.5 Fieldcraft to take a caribou, and I have friends that have taken moose with theirs. I don't know that the 6.5 Creedmoor would be my first choice for a dedicated moose rifle, but it's certainly capable. I took a moose with my 7mm-08, in 2009, and the original Creedmoor is certainly right there with it.

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Was just slamming beers on the porch and musing such a question, so good timing.

If I was starting over, knowing what I known now and having BTDT, I'd skip all the 224 stuff outside a 18 and a 10.5 inch AR-15.

That's really about all I need, but on the off chance I might visit a state that requires a "hunting caliber" a Tikka 6.5 would get it done.

Course I'm in a truck building mood these days, thinking about how I could have more cash to blow on camshafts, turbos, and locking differentials.

Come July once it's too hot to be out in the shop I'll probably want some stupid crap like a 25 creedmoor.

those seekins in 243 creed would make a good huntin' rifle.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
FWIW, y'all know I'm a rimfire guy through and through, but I debated this question quite a bit a couple of years ago.

I mainly shoot factory ammo because it's not worth my time to roll my own.

I own a few, but in my eyes, a Montana in 6.5 Creed checked all of the boxes.

Luckily, I lucked into one on the Fire and I've been more than pleased with it.

From Hornady American Whitetail to Prime 130's...ELDM's to ELDX's...I dig the rifle and am more than comfortable taking it to the range, the woods or anywhere else...

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Hell these days there’s so many choices that would easily feel that role.
If I was starting from scratch, I’d see what ammo easy to grab/order and find a rifle that felt good in my hands and be done with it.

You have a little bigger game than me on the menu, but I’d lean heavily towards a 6 Creed.

I could give all my shit away except my .308 Montana and do fine from here on out. Maybe even the 6.5x47, as I’ve seen Lapua ammo available in several places for it.

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
If held to factory loadings, it'd have to be something ubiquitous and available anywhere. No esoteric BS that's hard to find. Probably a 6.5 Creed, .270 Win or .30-06 in a Tikka. Ammo would be Hornady ELD-X.

About as vanilla as it gets.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Thread on the fire had me actually considering a Ruger in 375 ruger. No that I have any need for one, but should maybe get one before they discontinue it.

For the real world, the Montana in 6.5 creedmoor is tough to beat. I'd run a tikka in same or 7-08 too, I just wouldn't tell anybody. Barrett did it best IMO, but not holding my breath for them to do it again.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Thread on the fire had me actually considering a Ruger in 375 ruger. No that I have any need for one, but should maybe get one before they discontinue it.

For the real world, the Montana in 6.5 creedmoor is tough to beat. I'd run a tikka in same or 7-08 too, I just wouldn't tell anybody. Barrett did it best IMO, but not holding my breath for them to do it again.
I'd like to try a Field Craft, but since Barrett sold, I don't see that one coming back...

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Barrett did it best IMO, but not holding my breath for them to do it again.
I'd like to try a Field Craft, but since Barrett sold, I don't see that one coming back...
I've heard rumors and speculation to the contrary. The new owner is hinting that they plan to bring back the Fieldcraft.

Here are a couple of quotes, taken from a 2023 interview:

"But immediately we will want to pick up some of the things that Barrett has lost the capacity to do because of their current contracts and workload. Things like the Fieldcraft, the REC7, and REC10.

We want to get production back up and going on those because there are customers that want them and we need to at least fill current requirements and then we can look at how we expand, and what’s logical.
"

and

"But my absolute current favorite Barrett firearm is my .243 Barrett Fieldcraft, really, and that’s what I’m using hunting in the Australian outback at the moment. It is the best hunting rifle I’ve ever used and I love it.

It’s lightweight, I’ve got a really cool Leupold optic on it and there’s nothing I can’t shoot with that. And it is absolutely magnificent. So I’m really keen to see that fieldcraft production picked up again because I absolutely love the product.
"

Full Interview

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I really, really tried to like the Fieldcrafts, but that stock felt awful to me. Was pretty disappointed, could have bought a couple demos at Whittakers under $1k if I recall correctly.

I’ll take a Kimber any day over one.

Best rifle available in the stores around here are Tikkas, in my opinion.

Reactions: Rolltide

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I really, really tried to like the Fieldcrafts, but that stock felt awful to me. Was pretty disappointed, could have bought a couple demos at Whittakers under $1k if I recall correctly.

I’ll take a Kimber any day over one.

Best rifle available in the stores around here are Tikkas, in my opinion.
I saw a new in box .243 Montana in a local shop yesterday, in case you need one.

I asked about it and they said they found it buried in the warehouse.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I'd really like to find a Fieldcraft in .22-250. I had one in the cart at Whittakers, when they were blowing them out for $1500 and change. I don't remember why I blinked, but I regret not completing the purchase. Dumb!

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I saw a new in box .243 Montana in a local shop yesterday, in case you need one.

I asked about it and they said they found it buried in the warehouse.
Hmm…I know Mahoneys has a couple at the Abingdon store old 8400 and .270 WSM I think, I might could use a .243!

Reactions: Rolltide

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Yeah, I guess I'm goofy, but the fc stock fits me perfectly. Wish I had scooped a couple more, but it isn't as though we're hurting for rifles around here.

Could never put a kid behind that stock, and that's a problem for sales if people trying to sell rifles were paying attention.

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Their JC store has the .243 and a 25-06. They found both of them the same day.
The 243s are 10 twist but the deer I've killed with 87 vmaxes haven't mind. Scenars and the newish 90 eld-x shoot good too.

Kinda sucks not to be able to shoot the bthp tho . . .

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
22 creed Montana is the way to go.
I've been meaning to get mine rebarreled for a while now but somehow manage to find more pressing things to drop a bill on

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I’d rather have an 8 twist in any 6mm, but 10 doesn’t bother me at all. I shoot more 80s and 95s than anything anyway.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
My Montana 243 is one of my favorite rifles. I do most of my killing with 95 NBTs but the off season it sees 87 vmax. I'll rebarrel it 1 in 8 when the time comes but I don't feel too hindered by the 10 for my uses.

You guys have me thinking about that 25-06 Montana.....

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Just mentioning a 25-06 is baiting Stick. A 24-06, on the other hand...

This "Mahoneys" place...they have a website by any chance? Asking for a friend.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Tough to whoop a 264 Kreed if you don't load and when talking Factory Fodder,the Montucky is KING..................

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
$1199 last I looked, but Tide will have to tell you for sure, it’s been a bit since I’ve been by.