data-csrf="1713965103,d539dd1746efb19bf5e49fbf64e4d6d8" Fancy Dies? | As Real As It Gets

Fancy Dies?

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I'm thinking of upgrading my 6.5 CM dies. I'm currently running a regular Redding 2-die set, with the full-length sizer.

Are the bushing dies or competition seater dies worth the extra cost for assembling ammo for a hunting rifle?

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I absolutely love the micrometer seating stem for load development. You can add one to your existing seater.

When I by new I’ll go with the 3 die set or the Premium Series 3 die set that comes with the micrometer seater if I don’t already have a micrometer seater stem that’ll work with the standard 3 die set.

So, in my opinion yes the better die sets are worth having.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm thinking of upgrading my 6.5 CM dies. I'm currently running a regular Redding 2-die set, with the full-length sizer.

Are the bushing dies or competition seater dies worth the extra cost for assembling ammo for a hunting rifle?

Alpha brass,Redding sizer and RCBS Grey Bitch Seater...though I have it all.

Gold Bitches ain't horrid.

Initial brass quality,paves the path.......................

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Same question here, specifically regarding bushing dies. I'm more concerned with being nice to my expensive brass than anything....

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Got lots of all of it.

Just as easy to turn an expander. I do not like bushings for Virgins,because my shit arrives dented the fuck up...excepting Alpha,due their packaging. last box of Lapua was in (3) fucking pieces.......................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Confessions of a Sinner,as I just ordered these for BIG Bertha and threw some .224" 40gr V-max in the fray,because they had 'em......................(grin)

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Thanks for the info and pictures. I have a couple more questions for clarification....

The description for the RCBS Comp Seater specifically says, "not for use with progressive press." It sounds like the RCBS MatchMaster seating die is compatible with progressive presses. What are your thoughts on this particular die, versus the regular RCBS Comp seating die? Or, for progressive loading, would the Redding offerings be better?

I'm not so concerned with progressive reloading for my 6.5CM, but I am also thinking of upgrading my .223 Rem dies. I'd probably quit shooting .223 if I had to load them on a single-stage press. 😁

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
IF/when I get home(weather tough here at work and tougher yet at the house),I can throw whatever you like in a Progressive and grab extrapolation pics.

The See-Through Window Grey Box Bitches incorporate an extended shellholder,which wouldn't work so hot in a Dillon or the like.(grin)

Several of 'em here in this recent order,but I'll try to find a better look.......................

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I’d suggest calling the press manufacturer and asking about whether the dies work unless you find someone with the exact combo you’re wanting to run.
I had problems with Redding 9mm Luger dies being too short and not working in my 550. I realize that’s not the direction you were leaning but worth relating.

I feel the same way about loading 223. If I couldn’t load progressive for the AR I simply wouldn’t shoot it.

When I order the Premium die sets I get the black box Reddings like Stick posted. Never fingered a RCBS windowed seater.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
So "Competition" Dies that don't require an extended shellholder(Green Bitches),will rattle happily through a Dillon or the like.

I can do better when home....................

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Most of my handgun dies work on the 550, but there aint no wiggle room.

If you were starting from scratch with alpha brass in the 6.5 creed, would you go Redding black box, or piece a set together with a bushing die and a RCBS comp seater? Or something else?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The RCBS Grey Box Bitches are without peer. I'd want a FL Redding sizer and would have an extry expander ball/stem.

If brass ever got banged up,I'd have a way out..............................

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
If you're looking for a bushing die, take a look at Wilson's full length bushing die. I just got this one for a 22BR project I'm doing and am pretty impressed with it. Nice stainless material, dead-on sizing and comes with an extra decapping stem. How they can sell 'em so reasonably is amazing.

These things are good with 10 'o's' (gooooooooood) . :)

Reactions: Oatmealsavage82

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
If you're looking for a bushing die, take a look at Wilson's full length bushing die. I just got this one for a 22BR project I'm doing and am pretty impressed with it. Nice stainless material, dead-on sizing and comes with an extra decapping stem. How they can sell 'em so reasonably is amazing.

These things are good with 10 'o's' (gooooooooood) . :)

And the 1967 style box really kicks it up a notch, old school cool!

Reactions: Al Nyhus