data-csrf="1711634970,d86351e641d19b9d5d559031542e4793" Flush mounted swivel studs on a Kimber Mantaner | As Real As It Gets

Flush mounted swivel studs on a Kimber Mantaner

12ozkurl

Apr 25, 2015
Flush mounted sling swivel studs on a Kimber Mantaner? I have seen them on McMillans, I think they are called flush cups? When I carry my suppressed rifles I sometimes like to carry them across my back and muzzle down, because they are top hvy, And I carry a lot of crap when I coyote hunt.

Anyone here done this, on a Montana stock

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
This guy did it: https://bedrockandparadox.com/2015/05/20/my-rifle-the-kimber-montana/

I'm not impressed with how it looks, but he offers some info on drilling and what you'll find in there.

standeford

Feb 3, 2009
Tennessee
Looks like he filled the cavities with epoxy, which probably gives a good bond to the shell. From what I can tell, the structural integrity of Montana stocks is all in the shell as the fill makes McM Edge feel stout.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Yeah, he mentions foam inside the shell. I'd drill the holes to size with a diamond hole saw and then create the pillar of epoxy so it was larger than the hole by clearing out the right amount of foam. Then drill conventionally and epoxy in the cup.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'd not be aspooked,but would go the extra mile with SteelBed.

Just did a few more A2's and tend to bevel an acute mechanical lock angle below the skin's surface,dollop in accords(I tape the ass of the QD cup shut) and turn it wrongwayzee to dry. That way everything creeps/seeps and locks in accordance with the thin exterior wall.

Am hip on it................

Rman

Jun 4, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Grovtec make a fine threaded flush cup insert, that can be drilled, epoxied, and self tapped. I've used them in lumber, milk jug, and fibreglass with no issues. Give them a peep out.
https://grovtec.com/

R.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I use lotsa Grovetac,for different applications. Ordered a coupla hunnert of their S/S studs and have them everywhere.

Their QD is GTG.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
They and the typical UncleMike-ish QD's,are more robust/reliable than the elder Pachmayr version of same(flush 1/4 turns).

But the 1/4 turn bitche are purtier,on Living Wood................