data-csrf="1711625416,3819dbd763fa8ea8784ab4d93236ef9c" For those with 4.0 Tacos | As Real As It Gets

For those with 4.0 Tacos

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Seems to be a lot of Tacoma guys here, just picked up a new one with the 4.0.

What grade gas you all running?

People around here are about half and half, between 87 and 93.

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
Crap. I'm not sure which engine the wife has in her Tacoma (2013.) I do know there's a shit load of plastic in there.

But we buy regular unleaded. I'm just happy when she doesn't put diesel in the Toy and gas in the Dodge.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
They run better with the good shit and get better mileage to boot,so it even saves money.

Win/win.............

MIdwest F-T/R

Jul 24, 2011
Missouri
I never noticed an increase with 89, so I just run 87, but I don't keep track of mileage. With 255/85/16's, it's probably better that I don't. I'm sure our Ethanol added crap gas in Missouri isn't helping.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
I weren't impressed with the KM2's...I burned up a set of them on a chevy in less than 20 000 miles. Didn't last anywhere near as long as the original MT's I had.

MIdwest F-T/R

Jul 24, 2011
Missouri
Mine seem to be holding up pretty well so far. I'll keep track and see how many miles they last. They are doing much better in the snow than a typical mud terrain, which has come in handy the past couple of months. I may look at the Toyos for my next set, but it will probably be a couple of years.

Canazes9

Jan 25, 2013
Louisiana
The 4.0 in the Tacoma was originally spec'd to run on premium fuel and had a higher hp rating (242hp if memory serves...) than the current 236. People bitched about the premium fuel, so Toyota spec'd regular 87 and related the engine at 236hp. In reality, the only thing Toyota changed was the spec sheet, the motor wasn't touched. Put premium in the 4.0 and it will advance the ignition timing enough to make slightly more hp and get slightly better mileage.

David

longshot

Jan 24, 2008
ORGN
Thats actually not true, "premium" will cause a worse MPG if the system is designed to use a lower octane. Energy wise higher octane gas almost always has a lower energy index than lower octane. Difference is small, but its there. Remember that octane is nothing but a simple anti-knock number. If the manual says 87 thats what you want, if it says 92 then thats what you want. Higher octane will only get you better results if the compression/boost/timing is designed to take advantage of it.

in summary; putting C16 racegas in wont make your truck any faster or get any better mpg. old wives tales like rolling your windows up for "less" air resistance and such.

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
I agree on the fuel sentiments, but as far as windows being rolled down having an effect on wind resistance, that is a fact. If you've ever run your car wfo, you'll find with the windows down it will cost you top speed. In a previous ride I found the windows down cost me 10 mph, not to mention the wind whips pretty good at 120.