data-csrf="1713271423,315d5f215d7e663816382e0686d9cb87" Freezer filler | As Real As It Gets

Freezer filler

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
New Brunswick moose hunt is in the books. it was a bit of a gong show, but got it done about noon on the last day of the five day hunt. I was so swamped with family and work stuff, that I didn't manage to do any load development- or even verify zero. In the end, I grabbed the 7 Shamwow with the 120 TSX load that I've shot forever. That rifle/ammo combo has been rock solid for years, so I figured I was safe. More on the later. The rut really hadn't kicked off on opening day. We saw one good bull for roughly 30 seconds on the first morning, but couldn't get a shot. After another 2 days of scanning clear cuts, we finally figured out that they were in the strip cuts. I finally got a shot on day 4. 40yards. Supported. Air ball. WTF? I was definitly excited, but really? I wrote it off to shooter error, and moved on. Day 5 morning, same thing happens, but this time I was much more confident in my shot. We finally set up a target. At 25m, I'm a full revolution of the M1 elevation turret high. Well, that certainly explains some things! At this point I'm felling pretty stupid, and dejected. Everthing we've seen up until this point has been fleeting, and numbers are way down. Even locals are shooting cows, and I'm not at all confident we'll get another chance. Then, an hour later, there's a decent sized moose, broadside in a strip cut at 70m. Head was down, so I had no idea if it was a bull or a cow, and didn't really care. I made a good lung shot, and we walked up on a 5 pt eater bull. He went 10 yards. Loonie sized entrance and exit, with lots of lung damage. To say I was relieved is an understatement, and 120 TSX at 3350 sure did the job.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
Last time I saw a scope all of a sudden be that far off, there was a smirk on my bud's face. I'd ask some questions..... Nice moose, my favourite for the freezer. When I was a young dad, my kids used to complain about beef cause it didn't taste like moose.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Congrats! That's a perfect eater-sized bull, still a little velvet to boot!

That sucks about the scope being off. I'm guessing your buddies have been waiting a long time for that punchline to reveal itself. šŸ˜

Glad you got it figured out in time and filled the freezer.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Congrats! I have a similar scope story, and now my turrets have a scratch mark and there are hose washers inside as a zero stop. I'm almost over the embarrassment.

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
Any other time I would be blaming a buddy for pulling a prank, but I think it's more likely that I was showing someone what that contraption on the top of the scope was, and left it on the wrong revolution. I never did make a refrence point at zero on the is one, but you can be damn sure I will once I have a chance to do more than a hasty woods zero to verify everything.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Congrats on the moose !
They are our favorite to eat
You really need one of the custom zero stop turrets for a M1
They are a game changer and no way to get off a rev without knowing it !!

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country

Good as Iā€™ve seen for a M1 zero stop
Stick knows who made them
You mount the small piece to the shaft and then the turret slides over it and down to bottom after you zero
Rock solid zero stop

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I keep one for Retrostalgia on one of my 6-284's,wearing 3.5-10x MK4 M1's.

Tough to beat a 6x MQ.................(grin)

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
that looks pretty slick. Can they still be had? All I really need to do is put a mark on the turret to indicate zero-or even just make a note of how many revolutions from bottom it is. I actually had grand plans to put the rifle in a new stock, and mount a 2-12 Helos, but was just scrambling last minute to get ready and didn't take the basic steps I should have.

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
that looks pretty slick. Can they still be had? All I really need to do is put a mark on the turret to indicate zero-or even just make a note of how many revolutions from bottom it is. I actually had grand plans to put the rifle in a new stock, and mount a 2-12 Helos, but was just scrambling last minute to get ready and didn't take the basic steps I should have.
Wolfman I've got you covered after tripping majority of my leupolds I've got an extra I can send you if you PM me an address.